1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rolling Stones signed Fibson

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rhythmjones, Mar 15, 2015.

1. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

Went to Planet Comicon in KC this weekend. There was a booth there with a whole crapton of musician autographed merchandise. Records, pictures, pickguards and a couple of guitars.

The prices were outlandish. Like $750 for this Rolling Stones autographed Fibson.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be fair, he is selling it as a "Les Paul style guitar" so he's not trying to pass it off as a Gibson, you're buying the autographs. But I still found it interesting.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Boy, selling autographs, where there's such sensitivity to authenticity, on an obvious fake.

Would we be wrong to assume the guy who took the time to forge 'Gibson' in silkscreen and/or inlay, didn't spend an extra 30 seconds with a Sharpie?

3. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

Yeah. I personally would never invest $$$ in an autograph, even a known authentic one. But I agree.

I don't know how well you can see it on my picture, but the headstock logos are just stickers on top of the finish. A real hack-job.

4. moosie

Hah, I didn't see the stickers. I was too absorbed in my appreciation for just how they captured every nuance of the Gibson headstock shape. :D

Wait, who's "Nick Jagger"? :twisted:

5. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

I'm curious as to the circumstances around how someone got the Stones to sign such an obvious fake.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Most celebs will sign pretty much anything. I'm pretty sure they've signed hundreds of guitars. Of all shapes, sizes, and brands. Why would it make a difference to them what kind of guitar it is?

7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

LOL, yep if you're gonna go to the trouble of getting a guitar autographed why use a lousy fake and just add to the suspicions that the autographs have been forged as well. :rolleyes:

Go big or go home.

8. soulman969

Normally it wouldn't but when you've made a bad attempt at faking the guitar what says you haven't also forged those signatures as well? I'm not saying they are but it does raise suspicions in me so wouldn't it in you and others?

I mean it's not like you walk around places like that with a handwriting expert at your side and if you pay someone enough to create a COA for you saying the sigs are authentic you know they will. Phony git may also = phony sigs.

I'd probably buy a $100 Rolex from a guy in TJ before I'd look twice at that guitar.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, I wouldn't buy it either. Even if I were an autograph hunter, I'd want something cooler, whether the sigs are real or not. I meant why would THEY care. If you're signing stuff, you're signing stuff. If somebody asks me to sign their guitar, I'll do it. I don't care what kind it is. It's only happened a handful of times in 28 years of playing shows, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you what kind of guitars they were. I signed a guitar case a couple weeks ago. I have no idea what was inside it. Could have been a tommy gun for all I know. The previous poster had asked why they would sign a fake. I can't see why they wouldn't. They're signing autographs, not authenticating a guitar. It's the equivalent of signing a pizza box that has fish sticks in it. Who cares?

10. soulman969

Hey, that's really good to know. I have a Fibson I'd like to get autographed too do ya' think you could uh maybe sign it for me? :D LOL

Yeah, I do agree with you about The Stones or you or me or anyone not really caring what it was we were signing. If it's what they're asked to do they do it and most other artists would probably do the same.

I don't know about you but I've been trying to just give away cheap ones I've signed but no one seems to want them. ;)

I guess "Legend In My Own Mind" status doesn't count for much these days. :(

11. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

No way...I say fake signitures,

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I agree fake signatures.

13. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fake!
    or maybe phake??

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  14. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed that Keith didn't brain him with the offending item. Perhaps he didn't have his reading glasses with him.

15. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

I like how items like this are verified with "Certificates of Authenticity" which are questionable in their own right!

16. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

I'm amazed that fake Gibsons always have 3 screws in the truss rod cover. How much harder would it be to put just two instead?

17. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

18. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

The new better fakes have 2 screws now.

19. moosie

Seriously, a bar napkin would have been better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.