Rolling Stones Kick Off Tour with Charlie Watts Tribute

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Skully, Sep 27, 2021.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Pfft. Probably 80 or 90 percent of people who pay to go to Rolling Stones concerts didn't know who Charlie was until he died. Yet the peanut gallery on a Website full of amateurs, many of whom have never played in a band at all, let alone professionally – and most of whom probably haven't done so with the same band for 6 years, let alone 60 – tells these absolutely top-level professionals, since they were teenagers, that it's time for them to pack it in. This place is ridiculous.

Aftermath, middy, gmann and 9 others like this.
  2. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I just hope Steve Jordan can get this right. That cow bell used to be played by Charlie.
    I like Ronny's hair cut.

Mark E Rhodes and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

SJ is my favourite drummer and one of the best drummers EVER (definitely in the top 20).

Still he can NOT do Charlie so what I hear AIN'T the Rolling Stones but a tribute band with Keith,Mick & Ron....no original RS rhythm section=no original RS (in the RS the rhythm section was KEITH & CHARLIE not Charlie & Bill)

and I am not the only one who claims this

SJ is too accurate/perfect and 10 times heavier than Charlie.

Kudos to him for lifting his right stick of the HH on the snare hits, using one of Charlie's Gretsch kits and the trademark small center hole in the front head miked w/ a Beyer M88 mic .(SJ endorses YAMAHA)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The 2 camps of a RS tour: Never Stop & Just Stop. What's it been now, 25-30 years since the 1st farewell tour? I dislike long goodbyes.

5. EZMFE

EZMFE Tele-Meister

Glad I saw them back when they were the Rolling Stones.

MickM and Pcs264 like this.
  6. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

If I’m not mistaken, Charlie knew he was done, he wanted the tour go on without him, and it was his choice to have Steve Jordan take over the drum throne.

So why wouldn’t they honor those wishes?

A Rolling Stones tour is not rock and roll. It’s show business, and in show business, the credo is that the show must go on.

7. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

It’s their life, their income and their reputation. They make fans happy and provide employment to a horde of folks. Charlie will be missed.

Last time I saw them Brian was in the band. And The Byrds - with Clark and Crosby - opened.

Slip Kid, nojazzhere and rand z like this.
  8. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Holic

Maybe its just as simple as they just enjoy jamming and being rock stars. Remember the poll about the age on this forum? this is not a spring chicken group, I bet a lot of you / us are still jamming out need to or not because its still fun. The only difference between us and them is the size of the stage ;)

9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If you had the ability to travel through time and see the Stones in any two of these years, which two would you pick, and why?

This year

If you were given the chance to rank them by preference, how would you rank them?

The Stones stopped being a band and became an entertainment/lifestyle product somewhere around thirty years ago. It's good work if you can get it, but I don't think many of us spin Voodoo Lounge as often as Sticky Fingers.

10. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Yes... the drumming is DIFFERENT.

Jordan is not Watts.

And, Woody is not Brian Jones or Mick Taylor.

Daryl is not Bill Wyman.

Chuck Leavell is not Ian Stewart or Nicky Hopkins.

And...

Paul is not John.

SO...

Times Change (thank heavens).

IMO, it's all interesting and it's all good!!!

I like ALL OF THE DIFFERENCES!

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I tried to watch a couple of those Genesis videos on Youtube, and never finished one. It was so painful, I was almost in tears. It was cool seeing Phil's son on drums, but his attempt at vocals was heartbreaking.
    The Genesis example is different from the Stones', however. They didn't roll Charlie's corpse out to play.....they got an excellent replacement, and rocked out as best they still can.
    I kind of judge "old" bands by.....are they worse than, as good as, or better than a good bar cover band on a good night?.....and so far, The Stones are better than any band that tries to cover them. ;)

Pcs264, rand z, dkmw and 2 others like this.
  12. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I see no evidence that Watts ever played the cowbell part live, and he certainly didn't play it on the recording (it was producer Jimmy Miller).

The Stones have never done anything they've characterized as a farewell tour. They've actually gone out of their way to stress that these aren't farewell tours.

Alamo, gmann, televillian and 3 others like this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

What will the Stones be like in 2070? Keef will be there, of course, but who will be the front man?

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Love Keith’s hat, hiding his bald head :cool:

televillian and stomped box like this.
  15. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

I saw Dizzy Gillespie just before he passed and he was on fire. He played Night in Tunisia for like the millionth time. Who’s to say when it’s time to hang it up?

16. Skully

He just recovered from a second bout with cancer.

I suspect that they knew Charlie was done long before they made the announcement that he was going to miss the tour.

"Sticky Fingers" is my favorite Stones album, so, no. But one should remember that it got a bad review in Rolling Stone when it came out. "A Bigger Bang" is a good album. I like their single "Doom & Gloom."

I think they still care very much about more than just the business, or they wouldn't be doing it. As many have have pointed out, they don't need the money.

Oh... and they didn't tour in 1992. :)

17. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Yeah this sentiment has been going around this website since Charlie got sick in the first place. I'm one of those 80 or 90 percent who wouldn't have been able to name "the drummer for the Rolling Stones" until he started making news. I even had a thread once about the most famous musician who could wander around the world without being recognized and I guessed that Ronnie Wood would be a good candidate. If he showed up in my office right now I'd say "Can I help you?" Now if Keith showed up, I'd run home and get a guitar or two. Personally I think of the Stones as Mick and Keith. Take away one of those two and it's gonna be a bit different, but if they still want to tour and can still sell tickets, more power to them.

Skully, rand z and nojazzhere like this.
  18. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I'm not entirely convinced that holds up as an argument, unless it's just intended to the person, as it where.

I can't take photographs as good as HCB, Robert Frank, Antonín Kratochvíl, Jane Bown, Joel Meyerowitz or Egg, etc., but that doesn't entail by necessity that I can say nothing meaningful, valid, insightful, relevant, pertinent, etc. about their work, be it taken as a whole or divided into more or less arbitrary stages or periods.

And not just the plastic arts, the same applies for performing arts and by extension, the critique of performance.

Or the industrial arts - I don't make guitars, yet as a consumer of electric guitars I can certainly attain to and present arguments valid about their manufacture, promotion, quality, utility, grace, beauty, sale, cultural position, etc.

etc. etc.

Pax/
    Dean

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  19. Skully

That is a good point. That said, has anyone offered a good reason why the Stones should hang it up? How many people of any age can do what Jagger is doing now at 78? Maybe nobody?

I think major difference between now and earlier tours 40 or 50 years ago or even more recently is that everyone is very happy and grateful to be there, from Mick and Keith on down. Mick's vocals are better than they were in the good ol' days, and Keith and Ronnie are actually sober, which has probably sharpened their playing.

nojazzhere and Mark E Rhodes like this.
  20. Mark E Rhodes

Mark E Rhodes Tele-Meister

I'm glad they're still out there, though if (when) they decide to hang it up, I'll be glad for them then too.
    They're musicians. Why should being older make them want to stop playing music? They clearly don't have to---they want to. "Long live rock," I say.
    I fully intend to still be playing and writing songs when I'm their age. (Don't plan to tour but I don't have the performance bug.)

Skully likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.