Roller saddles

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ce24, Jan 29, 2019.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I just ordered a set of these for my strat. I have a roller nut already so this should work really good... At least I hope so.

2. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Love the saddles but haven't played on one of the LSR nuts in about 20 years and can't remember how they are. Worth installing on other gits?

3. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I just watched Blazing Saddles, does that count??:)

Mr. Neutron and SPUDCASTER like this.
  4. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

I have a potentially inflammatory question. I do not mean it to be. BUT, ive often wondered this about rollers.

we have seen so many threads on saddle material and shape and so on. which usually end up in "more beef, more sound" (paraphrasing). so would rollers not be the total antithesis of that? because there will be some disconnect between the roller and its axle and the axle and the actual saddle. nit picky I know but im just curious.

for the record I dont think it matters but im curious,

Shuster likes this.
  5. ce24

I can't answer any question until I get them and install them...I will report back.

6. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

I lOVE the idea of roller everything. seems like. everything would be so stable without friction points. or maybe the opposite lol.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

In my opinion, they are the total antithesis.

With my one experience installing a roller bridge, my Tele with Bigsby, I pulled it off the next day.

xgritzx likes this.
  8. ce24

Why?

xgritzx likes this.
  9. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

There’s no resonance transferred from string to body because the saddle rolls on this thin pin which doesn’t transfer it.

Mine sounded weak and anemic.

ce24 and xgritzx like this.
  10. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

that's what im curious about but id really have to spend serious time with it. im more on the side of us maybe giving our bridges too much credit. but I dont know for sure yet. I want to try one of those 6 barrel bridges that's a seemingly perfect blend of retro and modern. but it certainly one have the mass and resonance of the standard 3 barrel brass. but you see tons of people use them and nobody seems mind that. I also see people using graphtech stuff and surely that would deaden a ton of sound but it doesn't seem too. people seem ok with it. so im curious on the rollers.

11. ce24

I'll also try and record a short clip of before and after. Clean and OD.

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You sure that was the reason?

ABM 2400s sound like bar bridges—which are known for many things but weak and anemic is not one of them. The milled brass frame probably has a lot to do with it.

B447540A-205A-4CED-836D-5A2D1B72A099.jpeg

13. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

My big jazzer has a Bigsby and it came with an ebony bridge with a bone saddle insert.
    I was convinced that I needed to change the stock bridge, because it wasn’t suitable to be used with a Bigsby because the strings couldn’t glide back and forth over the bridge.
    So, I found a gold roller bridge and had great hope that it was going to result in an improved tone.
    It did not.
    If anything it took some of the life out of the guitar as a whole.
    I actually don’t hardly ever use the Bigsby, and when I do it more of slight wavy sound, nothing drastic in the movement of the Bigsby, and never had any tuning issues with the ebony bridge.
    After doing some comparisons, I eventually decided that despite my avid belief that a roller bridge should improve the sound/tone, I put the ebony bridge back on it and just called it a day.
    One observation I made that I think is relevant, if you watch the strings where they cross the bridge, there is actually no movement of the strings over the bridge. The Bigsby just releases and reapplies string tension, it doesn’t move the string back and forth over the bridge as I had assumed.
    I’m sure that EVH’s tremolo moves the strings a lot more than a Bigsby so a roller bridge isno doubt needed, but with a Bigsby you may be able to do without it.
    Just,my 2 cents,

BorderRadio likes this.
  14. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Well considering the "roller" is only actually "rolling" when the string is being tuned, or when you are doing whammy work...

I don't really see the point.

But as far as changing the sound, I'm pretty skeptical on that... when you apply roughly 130lbs of string tension, whatever the string is resting on is gonna be extremely tight... I mean look at a violin or archtop that the bridge isn't even attached by anything other than string tension...

So for it to change the sound of an elctric guitar in any meaningful or audible way is a HUGE stretch, as far as basic physics is concerned...

But, we all know that guitars and guitar players are largely unbound and uninhibited by the laws of physics.

Maybe Leo Fender and his contemporaries were actually wizards and witches and the creations they bestowed upon humanity are otherworldly in nature?

Silly science...

magicfingers99 likes this.
  15. WetBandit

Well, EVH only needs a termination point, considering the Floyd has the string completely (hopefully) locked into place, the only benefit he may see from roller saddles is less string/saddle wear.

16. BorderRadio

Have you tried copper or glass bridges? Micarta/phenolic or bone saddles? Ebanol? ABS plastic? I actually have. It’s subtle with some, and plugged in and turned way up, it’s even more subtle, but there are changes in string attack and decay. That’s not how some people play though, espcially with big electric hollowbody that has acoustic presence and low tolerance for volume. Anecdotes, all of them. But I had to try it for myself before I realized what matters what doesn’t so much.

17. WetBandit

I'm just not gonna go that far down the rabbit hole over minutia...

When killer guitar tones have been produce by junk guitars and junk equipment... I cant really be that arrogant.

But that is some dedication on your part.

How much did that micarta cost you?

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. WetBandit

I'm just not gonna go that far down the rabbit hole over minutia...

When killer guitar tones have been produce by junk guitars and junk equipment... I cant really be that arrogant or discerning.

But that is some dedication on your part.

How much did that micarta cost you?

19. BorderRadio

Why not? What’s a guitar forum without minutia? :D

That’s the thing, killer guitar is killer guitar, and people trash plastic saddles but they have a cool character of their own. The canvas phenolic saddles are used on my Gretsch guitars, about 40 bucks a set but the thing is they only fit in Melita style bridges.

D4FE47DF-80EF-48BD-A6FC-7D26A7938DDE.jpeg

WetBandit likes this.
  20. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

well, my thought, is that im very skeptical at any differences. in context of a tele bridge, but the time the vibrations get dampened from the saddled and then down into those tiny little machine screws and then those tiny screws into the bridge and expect that tiny bit of vibration into the guitar to matter in any meaningful way I would just be so shocked. on an acoustic with a big slab of wood and bone, I can see that.

my theory in context of a tele is that you would get WAY more of a noticeable difference by removing the pickquard and letting the strings a more direct line to the wood itself would give WAY more difference in tone than ANYthing that can be done on the bridge.

thoughts?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.