Rolled fretboard edges

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yes, I took care not to take off too much, although this neck is pretty wide and there was plenty of room to wiggle. I didn’t really look for info online to roll off edges; it seemed the obvious wayto do it like this ;-)

Yup, too much off makes a guitar unplayable, that is to be avoided, but I like this guitar sooo much better with the rolled off (or should I bevelled?) fretboard edges!

I actually did the same now to my Ibanez AF55 and my DIY ES-330 (check my thread on that ;-) and love those guitars now also even more! (They had enough room to wiggle as well).

My Gibson ES-333 came factory with rolled edges and my 1950 ES-125 has them as well, although with the latter it may perhaps be the result of a number of refrets and genuine play wear in its 70 year life ;-)
Roll 'em easy
;)

willjoe123

TDPRI Member
Mine has factory rolled edges, and I love the way it feels. But I do have the problem of the low E slipping occasionally. It will take some re-training.

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
For my latest partscaster build, I got a rosewood /maple tele neck back from the paint shop and I could feel a slight finish edge where they had masked off the rosewood. I lightly sanded off the lacquer edge with some 320 grit being careful Not to roll the edge of the neck.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
Not on a Maple neck, but I have done it on a few with Rosewood or Pau Ferro fingerboards. I use a round screwdriver to burnish the edge smooth, then do my usual fret end filing and smoothing, plus a run down the edge with a fret rubber. Seems to leave them feeling really comfortable straight off. After a few months of gigging, even better. :)

This is an Allparts 'Fat' Strat neck I did last year:

Fretboard Flash.jpg

This is another Allparts neck I did on a Tele recently:

Rolled fretboard.jpg

Brett Valentine

Tele-Meister
Love those 3M sanding sponges. Bought medium and fine. Fine did the job! I also have a fret dressing file from Stew Mac. Didn't really need it. This guitar had SERIOUS fret tang sprout when i first bought it, but everything else was a great fit. As that first winter went on, the neck shrank even more as it dried out in the heat. I used fine whet stones on the tangs over about a year to revert it a "guitar neck" rather than a saw (it ate my hands after a while). The 3M sanding sponge did more in a hour than I first did in a year.

Also used the same sponge to remove the finish on the neck. It went from nice to "I can't put this thing down."
50164415148_9ae7ab92ac_b.jpg

BrokenTele

TDPRI Member
Not on a Maple neck, but I have done it on a few with Rosewood or Pau Ferro fingerboards. I use a round screwdriver to burnish the edge smooth, then do my usual fret end filing and smoothing, plus a run down the edge with a fret rubber. Seems to leave them feeling really comfortable straight off. After a few months of gigging, even better. :)

This is an Allparts 'Fat' Strat neck I did last year:

View attachment 991649

This is another Allparts neck I did on a Tele recently:

View attachment 991656

Love those 3M sanding sponges. Bought medium and fine. Fine did the job! I also have a fret dressing file from Stew Mac. Didn't really need it. This guitar had SERIOUS fret tang sprout when i first bought it, but everything else was a great fit. As that first winter went on, the neck shrank even more as it dried out in the heat. I used fine whet stones on the tangs over about a year to revert it a "guitar neck" rather than a saw (it ate my hands after a while). The 3M sanding sponge did more in a hour than I first did in a year.

Also used the same sponge to remove the finish on the neck. It went from nice to "I can't put this thing down."
50164415148_9ae7ab92ac_b.jpg
That’s some fine work there. Wow.

~~

If only Fender gave the time to roll edges across the entire MIM line. I bought a Squier Jazzmaster recently that has a neck (lightly rolled edges) that feels so much more comfortable than my Duo Sonic or Nashville Tele.

Medeltids

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Nice clean job!.

I'm not a fan of rolled edges, I like as much fb room as possible, a shallow bevel.

I also do a technique on the A string, the 10th fret and above:
I bend the A string "off" the fb creating an interval of a maj. 3rd.

Here's ny short video of it:

Cool technique. Thanks for sharing.

Brett Valentine

Tele-Meister
That’s some fine work there. Wow.

~~

If only Fender gave the time to roll edges across the entire MIM line. I bought a Squier Jazzmaster recently that has a neck (lightly rolled edges) that feels so much more comfortable than my Duo Sonic or Nashville Tele.
Thanks. I'm also working on my TexMex Strat, but it's not up to the level of the Tele yet.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
My luthier/tech rounds the fret ends as part of his comprehensive setup. He does it by taking twelve cuts with a stone. In the process, the edge sharpness of the neck shoulder is naturally eased a little bit, and it is enough for me. He just did my 2013 American Standard Tele (alder/rosewood) that way. Yummy.

Bob

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
That looks really good.

My '06 American Series Tele has rolled edges. I like them a lot, it's like meeting an old friend every time I play it. I know it's not a difficult thing, but so far I've been chicken to do it to my other guitars. I need to do it on a parts guitar or something.

Got Twang

TDPRI Member
<< My 2015 Limited Edition Dbl Cut Tele ("10 for '15") came with rolled edges. I really like the feel. Plus, the double cut makes fretting easier higher up the neck.

Johnny Dubs

TDPRI Member
I did it to my MIM strat. I didn’t want to mess up too badly but insisted on doing it myself so I got this thing, which I will never use again (hint lol)

Very easy to use.

I did no finishing after- anyone have thoughts on what I should do to best protect those strips of wood?- and it has a smooth feel and consistent edge/angle.

Neither of my telecasters (including a MIM) want it.

Attachments

• 2982A54E-0CB7-4048-A48F-0BDDD0AD7D6F.jpeg
    2982A54E-0CB7-4048-A48F-0BDDD0AD7D6F.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 15
  • D11DB780-80AA-4EEF-B05F-7D8ADED5A431.jpeg
    D11DB780-80AA-4EEF-B05F-7D8ADED5A431.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 14

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
Does that ever crack the finish on the neck? I have a CV50s that I want to roll but don't want to damage the neck poly.
Sorry for the late reply, since I finish my own necks, I roll the edges prior to spraying. However, if you have a prefinished neck and the finish is up to the edge of the fretboard, it's possible to damage the edges. In that case, you have to be very careful and proceed slowly.