1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Roland Street Cube or Street Cube EX?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ragged Tweed, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Ragged Tweed

Ragged Tweed TDPRI Member

I want to buy a solid state amp to save some wear and tear on my tube amp (A Mission 5e3.)

I'm debating between the 5 watt Street Cube and the 50 watt EX. I've read that that 5 watt feels quite loud and has a cabinet made of MDF board and feels sturdier than the 50 watt EX.

Some say that the 50 watt EX sounds "tubby" because the cab is made of plastic.

I'm probably never going to busk, but would like to practice singing into a mic while playing either acoustic or electric in my basement and family room.

I know there are other Cubes (like the 40GX or 80GX-- which both have tweed channels) but I think two speakers would be cool for the stereo jazz chorus sound and I like that you can use XLR mic inputs.

Thoughts on whether I should get the 5 watt or the 50 watt EX?

2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I also have a mission 5e3....I also have the street cube... It's easy enough to busk with and sounds good. with a little delay on the vocal little on guitar and a little verb... What's not to like....... That said I heard a brother busking just his guitar thRU the EX and it sounded great..... He was in a courtyard of to the side and the acoustics were fantastic. He echoed thru the whole courtyard..... This was in the Gaslamp in San Diego.... So either one.

Ragged Tweed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.