Roland Rubix 24, Presonus 24c or Focusrite 2i4

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by EddieLocrian, Mar 13, 2019.

1. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Hi,

I'm using my Zoom R8 as my regular audio interface into iMac running Logic.
    Left (hi-z) channel has started making a lot of hum/noise so was thinking about a dedicated audio interface.

As you good chaps know all there is regards this I wondered what your opinion is on the above 3?
    or any other that I've missed. Only need for home recording with 2 channel input at most.

I noticed the Presonus has what looks like thunderbolt USB, but the Roland has more dedicated knobs, while the Focusrite is 'trendy'.

I think the specs are the same regards 24-bit/192kHz - but I don't know if that means the preamps will all be the same?

Any help here would be appreciated.

thanks, Eddie.

2. EddieLocrian

anyone.

3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

It's probably unlikely that very many people have experience with all three.

Thunderbolt isn't USB, it's the newer evolution of Firewire and moves lots of data down the pipe really fast, but I can't really speak to the quality of the Presonus preamps and converters. Maybe others can. I've used Focusrite for many years and can swear by the quality of theirs: excellent for their price point. Roland, no idea, but I'd look at what's inside more than the knobs.

At any rate, you're on the right track upgrading your interface. Good luck!

4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I've owned a FocusRite 2i2 and 18i8, both seemed solidly built, no problems with drivers (on Windows 7 or 10) and I like the flashing green/red "level rings" in the absence of a more elaborate metering.

5. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

I've used previous Roland and Focusrites, they should be pretty equal in terms of quality control and support. Maybe the Focusrite will have better preamps. The Roland has that hardware comp/limiter switch, which could be a bonus. Other than that feature, I'd say there's not much between those two. I haven't used any Presonus interfaces.

6. EddieLocrian

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Can I ask are the pre amps from dedicated units like these much better than the ones in the R8?
    Is there any 'specification' that can describe the pre amp or is it more like a subjective thing?

Just asking cos I don't really know what the pre amps are/do. (Are they the bit that converts Audio to digital, or the bit that converts digital to audio?)

thanks.
    Eddie.

7. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, the preamps will amplify a microphone level signal which will then be fed to the analog to digital converters and on to your computer/DAW via USB or thunderbolt (FireWire is virtually extinct now).

Most interfaces also have line level inputs, often in conjunction with the mic input, ie. either a microphone or line level signal such as a synthesizer or drum machine can be plugged into it but not both at the same time into the same input. Although they may be separate.

Some interfaces also include DIs which permit you to plug in an instrument level signal such as a guitar or bass which then goes through the analog to digital converters and into your DAW and where you can use amp sims, apply affects etc.

Also give some thought to the monitoring and headphone options. Are you ever going to want more than one headphone output? This is one area that can be overlooked.

I have no experience with any of the three models mentioned so can’t speak to quality.

Cheers,
    Geoff

8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

As to preamp specs, some may provide more gain than others, or some may have more noise than others or have more distortion, but I doubt the differences would be meaningful and the specs can be manipulated to be shown in a more flattering light in any event. I’d be more concerned about workflow, input and monitoring needs, does it have a DI, is the metering good, is the software stable on what you’ll be running it on, that kind of stuff.

Cheers,
    Geoff

9. EddieLocrian

Thanks Geoff for letting me know, cheers.
    Eddie.

10. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

FWIW, I've been using a Focusrite 2i4 with Garageband since January. The 2i4 has performed flawlessly (no issues with my Mac and zero noticeable latency). I've also found the quality of its preamp to be excellent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.