1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Roland Micro Cube Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by kec!, Jun 3, 2010.

1. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Put one of those Jensen's in a little Peavey transtube practice amp, What a difference.

2. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Had one and gave it to my son. Didn't really like it, but I thrive on headroom.

3. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I got one for work. Fun to play with.

4. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Tried it with connection out the back to a PA? Sounds awesome! The BF setting sounds like a Twin, I've done the side by side, and played outdoor gigs that way.

donb720 likes this.
  5. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

I had a Jensen 6" 4ohm that I had in mind for a transplant into the Micro Cube.

Tight fit, but it would have gone in OK - just.
    Unfortunately, i made a mess of extracting the existing baffle board.

So, I thought about a re-house.

Really wet and windy here today, so this is what I did.
    With .. an old pine Bread bin.

Was surprisingly easy - dimensions of the bread bin just seemed to be really close to what was needed. Simply luck that.

Some cosmetics to attend to another time, and some trim to put back - but it is solid and functional.

It sounds ... absolutely amazing ;)
    Loads of deep rich bass. I cant tell you how amazed I am at the sound of this thing with the 6" Jensen and the bigger 'cab' now.

Very, very pleased with it.

Sorry for the poor quality snap - it is getting late and I have been playing through this thing all evening.

Attached Files:

6. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

telepath: turned out great. yeah my only complaint i have is on low notes the speaker.. seems its not just me. so i will def build a pine box for it. would be a good time to try and cover it with tweed. see how hard that is. if i fail to bad can always sand the cloth off, or build a new box as pine is cheap. so that is next months project. will give me something to do while collecting tools to build a guitar.. need to buy nut files next month. figure my first build will be a cigarbox guitar. so the two will work well. thanks for the info. the farting on low notes was so annoying. pretty much made me just keep it on clean Chanel. and a low level.

do you have any rough dimensions to go by, ill go with the 8" speaker.. not sure how much room it needs to breath. and will try a cheap compressor too.
    i also bought the limited red addition. but, like that really means anything. i like it in white better. but i will say i had a pignose which lasted a longtime. but i sold it because all my guitars have buckers and just did not sound to good. sorta regret selling it since im gonna have to buy another one now. laughs. im sure this has happen to others sell a item just to buy another. human nature, we sure are a trip.
    chris.

7. frankthomson

frankthomson Tele-Afflicted

OP, thats a great idea!!!
    looks great.

i have 2; 1 black, 1 red.
    love them

8. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Holic

Have the RX model...very easy to use and lots of features for a little sucker. Sounds keep me comin back for more.

Emster likes this.
  9. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i ordered a 8" mod 4ohm speaker. when it gets here, ill give it ago. if nothing else ill have a speaker for another project i guess. laughs. after having a bad accident i try not to take life to serious or i wold off my self by now. will keep ya updated on how my project turns out. will be nice to play a low note with out the speaker sounding bad. never would of thought of it, thanks for the idea. once the speaker gets here ill get some wood. and see what kind of mess i can get my self into. ( there will be one less red one. out there would be collectors in the future. reading this now from googles history.. laughs. hope you are still jammin in the year 2525
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tqcolorLyww

chris.

10. AlexArkansas

AlexArkansas TDPRI Member

I've had mine for 5 years and have run electric, acoustic, harp, vocals, and even bass through it without a hitch. Glad I'm not the only one who's not impressed with the Blackface tones. I use the Vox setting even for country sounds. And I don't know about anyone else, but the JC setting is a little thin-sounding on the bridge pickup of my tele. I'm just picking nits at this point though- I really love this amp.

11. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Tele-Meister

I use my cube all the time, particularly with my laptop, amazing slow downer, iTunes, and guitar pro 6. I used to use the British, exclusively, but started using the jc and blackface, recently. Sure, they're weak, but I put the reverb at 3 o'clock, and add a touch of chorus (just barely on). Best $100 I've ever spent on gear.

12. simmessa

simmessa TDPRI Member

Microcube mods...

Hey Kec! thumbs up for the excellent build!!! That new microcube enclosure is top notch, truly impressive.

I've been building my 1st guitar cab these days (with a Celestion V30 !!) and I think I might complete the project tonight.

I got an amp kit as well from the madamp guys but before I start this new project I'd really like to test my new cab with what I already have.

My 1st thought was to mod my nice tiny microcube to add an external speaker out connector but I'm not so sure on how to mod it the right way.

There was a nice resource on microtube modding on this website:

http://www.maggiemedia.com/microcube/

But now it's offline and I don't have a clue.

Did anybody here try this mod or maybe save some articles about the process?

Thank you a lot and keep doing great Microcube mods! :D

S.

13. Mark hazatele

Mark hazatele TDPRI Member

love the microcube
    i had set of sansui 6.5 split car speakers sitting in the cuboard
    so couldnt help myself and fitted it to my M/C and im very happy with the result
    found drilling 2x 25mm(1") in the front panel helped the sound
    maybe a small loss of volume but much cleaner detailed sound

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  14. DrHanz

DrHanz TDPRI Member

Yes, I have one...
    [​IMG]

15. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

Micro Cube owner here; got it along with a used MIM Strat. Great amp for practice, writing and recording. Covers all types of pickups equally well. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded with my Hamer Special, Les Paul TV Special and ASAT.

16. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I bought a used M/C off Craigslist. It really rocks! I am playing a Peavey Predator with MIM strat pickups and a Peavey Reactor Tele copy. I like the JC Clean and the R-Fier amps. The Blackface seems seems a little dull and the Brit Combo a little harsh. The Acoustic and Classic settings are good. The effects are fine...and...Now if the weather will only break so I can get it outside. Rock ON (with Battery Power)!

17. pcolbeck

pcolbeck TDPRI Member

I have a red one. Lives by the sofa in the lounge. I like the JC setting and the VOX. The rectifier is good but not my style. I use it by itself or with a Pocket POD or BIAS (on an IPAD) via the aux in.

18. janepaints

janepaints TDPRI Member

I ADORE my Microcube. Mine was purchased like the week it hit the market, so it's what, 11 years old now? I went to a local shop for strings, wasn't looking for an amp, music-store guy said "Jane, check this amp out". 5 minutes later I swiped the credit card and was a delighted microcube owner.

Mine is on it's second speaker. First one got punctured. It's been painted seafoam green and the metal grill was covered with the 'souvenir bandanna' they sell at bob dylan shows--it's the same design as the banner that hangs behind bob's band in concert.

I always run it on batteries, but soon after getting it, i was out of batteries late one night, so plugged in the wall wart. Didn't sound as good, sounded more like a generic 'solid state amp'. Next day, got new batteries, amp sounded great again.

I gotta friend who builds tube amps and I asked him about this. He explained it. An amp runs on batteries, you get sag. Very close (in terms of sound and 'feel' when playing) to the sag which tube amps (with tube rectifiers) have. And sag is part of why tube amps feel/sound more 'organic.'

The cube is SO useful, beyond playing. Great pre-amp for recording. I run guitar, bass, keyboards, vocals through it into the recorder. Fairly flat playback monitor. Playback thingie for walkmen, discmen mp3 players etc.

I've used it at all kinda gigs. Big and loud gig, stick a shure 57 in front of the speaker, let the PA do the work. Small/acoustic gigs, it works fine as is.

I've owned the microcube longer than ANY other amp I've ever owned (and I've been playing electric guitar/bass for 50 years!) While I've been an micocube owner a buncha other amps have come and gone from my possession--tube amps, solid state...use 'em awhile, get bored, sell 'em.

But NOT the microcube. It stays here. I'll own it until i die....probably while playing some crappy old tube amp that wasn't grounded right, the death cap fritzes out and ZAP!!!, i'm dust....

The Roland Micrcube is the ONLY amp I've ever truly loved unconditionally.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  19. Emster

Emster TDPRI Member

OP said blew out speaker using bass. OK how about my idea of putting in cheap auto 5" sub and using as bass amp (I play and beach so not too fussy). Post on some other forum said would be too much stress on amp section (?). Is that true, or just some myth? Seems watts are watts, but maybe some of you electronic gurus can clue me in

20. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

Yes ! I love my Micro Cube ! It may well be my favorite amp ! I've got an original that's, I don't know, 15 years old now ? Got it when they first came out and it's still going strong. Great amp !

2 Headed Goat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.