Roland JC60A are they still serviceable

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Craig Williams, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Hi, about to pull the trigger on a JC60 must be late 70s / early 80s. The boards look pretty old school but well put together. Obviously particular items switches etc specifically Roland but just wondering if these old amps circuits are still serviceable with everyday components (resistors, caps, Diodes, IC's, generic transformers etc). I live overseas in a fairly remote area and would have access to an ok electronics guy, but would have very little / zero access to specialized Roland parts.

I have always wanted a JC and this one is cheap as chips and relatively good condition. So if the worst comes to the worst I won't kill myself if I had to bin it but would fell better knowing it was somewhat repairable in the future.

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah all the parts are pretty common and available. The only exception may be the delay chips but they shouldn’t give you trouble. Just change out the filter caps and keep rocking!

corliss1 likes this.
  3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Ime, it is perfectly serviceable.

The most likely things that go wrong for most amps is the mechanical parts such as a switch, jack, or pot fails/wears out or an electrolytic cap fails.

When one of the caps fail, too much voltage/current can make it to other parts and take out the chips/transistors. The JC60 is old enough, the electrolytic caps have made it past their serviceable life. (Comparing e-caps with old tires on a car is fitting. They may look good and hold air but they should not be trusted.)

If you buy this amp, at a minimum replace the 2200uF/50v and 1000uF/16v filter caps ASAP. If it were my amp I would replace all the e-caps and not look back. OMMV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.