roland jc-40 rig

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by drewblue, Jul 22, 2019.

1. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

.i have a mustang modeling amp and just bought a fender ed Obrien strat. I would like a amp that is good for steel bends,im working through toby wines book. and atmospheric type playing. this guitar has a sustainer. right now I'm into players like james calvin wisely (chris issak player) and bill frissel.

I played a jc-40 awhile back and liked it. I also like that it has good built in effects because I don't like a lot of pedals. I think I will get a keeley darkside to go with it and be done. any opinions

paulblackford likes this.
  2. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

the jc-40 has effects built in?

i love the jc-120 but i've never owned one, and i love my roland cube, although it's a shame you can't combine more of the effects together or edit many of the parameters.

3. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

it has chorus vibrato and reverb

4. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

I've been looking into the JC-40, as well. It's a little too expensive for me right now. Post back if you get it, and let us know what you think. I'd like to try one, along with the older Fender Princeton Chorus, the Peavey Special Chorus 212, and a few of the Quilter, and DV Mark amps.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The JC series leaves something to be desired on the built in Vibrato, which is part of the Chorus circuit. Trying to remember what it is but I think it was a speed related thing, also, no intensity on either Chorus or Vibrato so you are stuck with what it is.
    I've been wanting a JC 40 myself but not convinced I will bond with it. There is not a SS amp I've bonded with more than a week or two yet. If it was cheap like most SS amps I'd just try one. The other down side is for their size, they are pretty darn heavy.
    There are reports of the amp being too noisy too, hiss IIRC. But they are popular so take it with a grain of salt.

6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I played a Princeton Chorus at an impromptu get together at our lead guitarist's place. Since I didn't have an amp at the time, I just showed up with my Tele.

When I saw that it was a solid state amp, I thought, "Oh, well, it's better than nothing, right"?

Well, that Princeton Chorus (I believe it had two 10" speakers in it) sounded great that night!

7. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

That's good to know, for sure! I play clean, almost all the time. The most grit I add is from an RC Booster, and occassionally a light bit of Zendrive clone, so the gain on the amp really isn't an issue. I heard the cleans on the Princeton Chorus are really nice. I don't know what the original poster is seeking, but I'm just looking for a great clean tone, that I can play at home without having to blast it.

8. schmee

I had a Princeton Chorus for a while. Not bad for SS and only about $150-175. It was not loud enough in a band mix but the reverb was great. For some reason in the end I found I couldn't get the tone right. a tiny move of the treble pot went from too spikey to too bassy. Maybe it was just me... But basically pretty good tone from that amp. If I was doing the Duo thing back then it may have been fine. It was the Red Knob version.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Have you ever played a JC-40?

Chorus and Vibrato both have speed and intensity controls.

And there is little or no hiss. Relative to a typical tube amp noise floor anyway.

bendercaster likes this.
  10. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I got a jc40 used. I like it a lot.

My amp at home volumes doesn’t hiss.

The chorus and reverb are great.

The distortion and vibrato are good to a point. They aren’t going to be great at every setting.

The chorus and vibrato have depth and speed. The is one preset chorus setting on the knob also.

The big thing is to get the eq good for your instrument. Boost the mids and if you use the distortion lower the highs as you raise the gain or it will spike you hard.

I had an EOB strat for about a month. I couldn’t get the pickups where I liked the sound on its own. So I used the return policy and got something else.

@drewblue GC had an open box jc40 the last time I looked. I think it was about 10% off their usual price.

11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

The Princeton Chorus sounded great, and it wasn't even the "red knob" version!

I found this demo of the same version that I played. I think you may appreciate this:

12. schmee

Yes my bad, I confused the chorus and vibrato controls with the AC40. The hiss issue is real for many people and a quick google will show many threads on the issue. But maybe it's just the jazz guys who want a dead quiet amp. I think they are pretty cool amps.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps-gizmos/69462-roland-jc-40-hiss-any-way-fix.html

"That hiss has been part of the JC series forever. I was pretty shocked when I found out the JC40 had the same problem. Roland is generally a pretty good company and I thought for sure they would have solved this for the new generation of JC amps but no such luck. I don't know anyone who has ever solved this problem."
    etc etc.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  13. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

I have and regularly use a JC-40, both for gigs and practice. I bought it as a back up to my Vox AC15. It has been great for home use, band practice, and gigs. If I am playing a long gig, I still usually bring the AC15. But I use the Roland for everything else. Mine has a little hiss, but no more than any tube amp I've ever owned.

MilwMark likes this.
  14. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I read all those reviews of people talking about hiss also. I was worried. Especially when they said the hiss was there no matter the volume.

Their experience has not been my experience. At home volume it’s dead quiet.

If I turn it up crazy loud it hisses like most any amp would. I had it happen when I had a pedal set up wrong when I first got the amp. The pedal was zapping all my signal. I think it was ear bleed volume if it had a full signal.

15. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

how do you like the ac-15. they are same price range. I also looked at used Princeton reissues. my deal is I'm cursed with tube amps seems like they always crap out on me.. I was shocked real bad as a kid and have a fear of electricity. I have no interest on doing any of my own work or service on amps. and I'm 150 mile round trip from the nearest good tech.

ive had some great tube amps. I'm just tired of dealing with em. I'm aware of the henriksen quilters (would love a steelaire). and higher end ss amps of the world and have also thought about building a rig around a sarno sms Garcia and a solid state power amp some day. but what I would like is the most reliable amp with great cleans reverb trem/vibrato. Under $500.00 for now. and I need something pretty quick.

I'm recording a batch of songs live acoustic and vocals. and wanna use this rig for atmosphere and steel emulation. think Hank Williams on acid.

16. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

I like the Vox a lot--especially the normal channel. I just like how my guitars sound through it. But if I could only have one, I'd probably go with the Roland.

The Vox sounds best when it's cooking, and I don't always have time at gigs to get it cooking. It's also much heavier than it looks and I'm tired of carrying it.

I think the Roland sounds really good too. It's clean, but if you turn up the mid knob to 1 o' clock or so, it fattens up nicely. The stereo speakers are pretty cool too. I imagine, mic'ed up properly, you could get some cool spacey sounds out of it.

17. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

A lot of amps have come and gone at my house. The JC 40 is still there and I don’t see it going anywhere soon.

The hiss isn’t worth mentioning. I run an A/B foot switch to get to the dirt channel,
    boost it with a Blues Driver and away we go. The foot switch also gets me to that great jazz chorus that Roland is famous for.
    Great cleans at volume. Reverb is honest and solid. It’s not a tube amp but it will take any pedal you want to run through it. The rest is up to you.
    “Your tone is in you fingers” as they say.
    The only thing I wish it had was a speaker out. That’s what the AC-15 is for. That’s another amp that’s not going anywhere soon.

schmee likes this.
  18. schmee

As I'm still interested in the JC amps I went back and looked at some demos I looked at before. One thing I noticed is if you want Vibrato, something to think about is the sound of the JC 40 Vibrato. It just sounds like Chorus to me. Yeah, it's a fine line between Vibrato and Chorus.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.