Roland JC-22 - Just how bad is the hiss at low volume?

60s Pop Man

TDPRI Member
For low volume practice or playing at home in a living room, how noticeable is the hiss in the JC-22? Sitting next to it? 8-10 ft. away from it?

Intent is clean tones with built-in effects or delay/tremolo pedal, no OD.

Bonus question: For anyone who has owned both, how do the JC-22 cleans compare to the Quilter US SB/Aviator Cub?

8bit

Tele-Meister
Some people say their's doesn't hiss at all. Others claim the hiss is unbearable. Mine definitely has a hiss. But it's basically so minor I've never even really thought twice about it. Certainly never been annoyed by it. The only other JC-22 I've ever played sounded just like mine. Which makes me wonder... how much of this debate is actually variance between different units and how much is merely each individual's personal standards? IDK, just a thought anyway.

It's a fantastic amp though. If you're buying from a reputable dealer you could always just try it out and send it back if it's not for you.

Last edited:

60s Pop Man

TDPRI Member
shenkadere and 8bit,

Thanks for weighing in.
I like what I hear on youtube but there's no store close by to audition one.

Good advice on buying from a reputable dealer. I always do and have had no issues with returns. When it's time to place an order, I'll certainly make known my concern for hiss level which may or hopefully may not be an issue.

Last edited:

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
Solution ? (Run it in the effects loop)

middy

Friend of Leo's
You would never notice unless you were recording and there were parts where all the instruments were silent for a moment. With a modern DAW, it would take you approximately 3 seconds to fix.

telejohnw70

TDPRI Member
Mine has a low hiss. I can make the hiss louder intentionally by moving closer to the amp and angling the guitar in a particular way but obviously, it's just as easy to not do that.