Roland JC 120 harsh reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by unam45, Sep 21, 2019.

1. unam45

unam45 TDPRI Member

Hey guys, I recently got a pretty old Roland Jazz Chorus 120 (early 80s), and the reverb has some qualities to it that could go either way as to if the unit's faulty or if spring reverb is just inherently finicky. At even low-ish volumes, it tends to sort of resonate whenever I play the lowest C# or its neighbors, which has a very grating and unpleasant sonic quality to it. At higher (drummer) volumes, this happens on every note but at least it's consistent at that point. Is this normal? Any ideas for fixes?musiquedepot

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Pull the tank and take a look at the inductors. If they are loose in their mounts, use some CA glue to solidify them in that mount. This improves any Reverb, ime....even solid state units.

3. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

I have an 80s JC120 and the reverb is great especially w chorus. But the amp can be cold sounding and doesnt have enough bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wally likes this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

An almost 40 year old amp may tend to have issues ... Listen to Wally ...

Archtop Bill likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Well....if one were to listen to me on this amp, one would not buy one. I took one in trade and sold it for $125 to get it gone quickly. It was working as well as they work, but I don't care for them at all for guitar. Ommv.... It went to a fiddle player...they liked it.

Jwalker99 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.