Roland Jazz Chorus Club

czech-one-2

Friend of Leo's
I always imagined the JC-20 might have been popular in Japan. And how about the JC-200 (100W + 100W full stack) -- has anyone seen one in the flesh?

p2526.jpg

Never, but there's a JC-160 for sale here for about $500.00
I'd buy it if I didn't already have an 81' JC-120!

pupogtz

NEW MEMBER!
My first post ever on TDPRI!

:D Just wanted to know if there is ANY way to find out the serial number of a Roland JC-120 with NO backplate. I have TWO of them and incredibly both are missing the backplate!! Any help is more than appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time and your excellent posts.
(Not sure if I need to make a proper introduction or anything in particular but HELLO EVERYONE!)

Prison Rodeo

Tele-Meister
I had one years ago. Sold it. Regretted it for two decades.

A few weeks ago, found one on eBay. 80s-era. A bit beat up, but works great.

JC120.JPG

Interesting how many of the JC-120s on this thread have other amps stacked on top of them. That's a Princeton Chorus on mine. I thought about making the stack higher: maybe Pathfinder 15 -> Champ 600 -> ZT Lunchbox -> Pignose.

eastbound

TDPRI Member
I had one years ago. Sold it. Regretted it for two decades.

A few weeks ago, found one on eBay. 80s-era. A bit beat up, but works great.

JC120.JPG

Interesting how many of the JC-120s on this thread have other amps stacked on top of them. That's a Princeton Chorus on mine. I thought about making the stack higher: maybe Pathfinder 15 -> Champ 600 -> ZT Lunchbox -> Pignose.

Talking about stacks - these are mine, and I love both of them.
One for home / small gig use (Roland Vintage Cube-20 & Roland JC-20)

home_rig-2014-07-18201mct1.jpg

and one for the bigger stages - clean sound in abundance, especially when chained... (Roland Vintage Cube-100 & Roland JC-160)

2014-04-1422.53.5062dl9.jpg

eastbound

TDPRI Member
You're perfectly right, soulman! It's 8 kg for the Cube and ridiculous 6 for the JC! B-) And the sound is phenomenal, unless you want to keep up with a full band.
But for these occasions I have my no. 2 stack, and I tell you I never push both amps for more than volume 2, cos' otherwise my band - including our quite heavy drummer - would definitely not keep up with me... ;-)

soulman969

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You're perfectly right, soulman! It's 8 kg for the Cube and ridiculous 6 for the JC! B-) And the sound is phenomenal, unless you want to keep up with a full band.
But for these occasions I have my no. 2 stack, and I tell you I never push both amps for more than volume 2, cos' otherwise my band - including our quite heavy drummer - would definitely not keep up with me... ;-)

I get a kick outta how the JC 20 looks like the baby brother of a JC 120. LOL

eastbound

TDPRI Member
It looks like a toy, and I admit I thought it really was when I found it in mint condition in some online market for a ridiculously low price. But it sounds as nice that I sold my JC-55, which till then served as my travelling JC. If you can live with the lack of lows and the missing reverb - which I definitely can with my acoustics - the JC-20 is as fine as any stereo JC can be. With its 2 x 10 watts through two 5-inch speakers it is way loud enough for practising and small gigs, and the real stereo chorus is about as wonderful as with its bigger brothers. The JC-20 is an absolute keeper!

soulman969

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'll bet it does sound nice with an acoustic. I've been using my 40xl and it does a nice job as well. Nothing like those Roland clean to bring out the harmonics in an acoustic.

eastbound

TDPRI Member
I'll bet it does sound nice with an acoustic. I've been using my 40xl and it does a nice job as well. Nothing like those Roland clean to bring out the harmonics in an acoustic.

Yes, without any doubt! It makes even my piezo pick-up Takamine sound halfway like an acoustic instrument :D

For decades I kept thinking a neutral sounding PA or AER-like acoustic amplifier should be the best solution on stage. Quite late I realized that a decently tweaked JC (or maybe a cube on "JC clean" - though I prefer the JC after having owned and then sold a modern Cube 60) can add that certain organic feel and give you those playing dynamics that otherwise you would miss.

I also tried my orange, vintage Roland Cubes for acoustic amplifying, but found out that - though being the perfect fit for my single coil electrics - they are not just "half a JC", but voiced differently, more Fender-like, which makes the acoustics' sound a bit too harsh for my ears.

peedenmark7

TDPRI Member
'76 jazz chrous ?

Does anybody have a picture of their '76 JC-120 ?
I'd like to see a picture of the casters .
Do they have snap in or removal feature, or are they a fixed screw on type?

thanks

zimbo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I plugged into a new Jazz Chorus 120 at the guitar store last weekend and was blown away. It sounded better than any of the Fender amps I have including my DRRI. However it certainly would be a monster to play in the house. I'm wondering if the smaller versions sound anywhere near as good as the JC 120?

I noticed that on the GC used website they have 2 (120)s for $399. There are none on any of the CL cities near me.

Despres

Tele-Afflicted
Just scrolling through this thread really makes me miss the JC-77 I had in college.

I've thought a few times about getting another one, but wow, they've appreciated in value since I traded that one in!

czech-one-2

Friend of Leo's
I plugged into a new Jazz Chorus 120 at the guitar store last weekend and was blown away. It sounded better than any of the Fender amps I have including my DRRI. However it certainly would be a monster to play in the house. I'm wondering if the smaller versions sound anywhere near as good as the JC 120?

I noticed that on the GC used website they have 2 (120)s for $399. There are none on any of the CL cities near me.

Yeah, its an amp that can cause alot of 'could you turn down' responses! :lol:
Live I've been facing mine towards the back of the stage and using a 1x12'' combo cabinet loaded with a JBL D120F and tilt back legs as my monitor/sound source. It works great as nothing is blasting away at our vocalist but I can still get the volume I need.:cool:

katmol

NEW MEMBER!
Question...

I'm thinking about picking up a JC120 and ditching my Peavey Stereo Chorus 212. My question is does the JC120 chorus from speaker to speaker of is one side dry and the other side have the chorus effect?

Yeah, its an amp that can cause alot of 'could you turn down' responses! :lol:
Live I've been facing mine towards the back of the stage and using a 1x12'' combo cabinet loaded with a JBL D120F and tilt back legs as my monitor/sound source. It works great as nothing is blasting away at our vocalist but I can still get the volume I need.:cool:

iceman59

TDPRI Member
Traded a Tascam M2516 mixer for a JC60 with a missing switch tip and a broken carrying handle.
I wanted one of the JC amps since my junior and senior days in high school when these amps came out. I had forgotten just what sweet amps these are.
But mine doesn't seem to like pedals. Any pedals. Mine,my son-in-law that plays guitar and bass,my other son-in-law that plays guitar...anyone experience this?
Anyway,my other amps aren't being used since I traded for this 60.

Teletoaster

Tele-Meister
Hello fellow JC members!

I just ordered a JC-40 and was wondering if anyone already got a chance to see how it compares to the other 10" models like the JC-77, JC-85 or JC-90?

And is the JC-40 chorus the same as the one on the old versions?

Last edited: