Roland Cube Street / NAD / problem

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Pasta Player, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Just got a Roland Cube Street (used) via Reverb out of the Chicago metro area. Great condition, old type ROLAND badge on the speaker grille AND they even included the PSB-1U AC power adapter. Great!

Problem is… the COSM amp selector knob has zero effect on the sound. Always in “Clean mode” no matter where the selector is set. Anyone else ever have this problemo?

Wonder about sending it back and/or possibly getting a little rebate instead on the purchase price before I go tearing into it to see if it could be the selector itself…or if it’s the dastardly, surface mounted, multi-pin IC on the main board? (I am unafraid, but un-rich.)

Anyone ever replace that main board and if so… your source and the cost?

Maybe it’s just cold from riding all the way from Chicago? (Ha-ha!):rolleyes:

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

No return policy?

I have one, I’ve never seen it do that.

Pasta Player likes this.
  3. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Mine does the same thing. Even though the amp knob is switched to a different amp model, it stays in Blackface mode. Its the sound I use most often, so it doesn't bother me that much, but it would be nice to access the other amp models.

Bought mine used (but in perfect shape) for dirt cheap at a pawn shop. It worked fine for a year or so. Plugged in one day and only Blackface Mode. Other than that, everything is great! Nice sounding little amp.

Pasta Player likes this.
  4. Pasta Player

5. Pasta Player

Couple of calls to Roland and to a local Roland authorized repair shop today yielded no switch replacement part number or price for the Roland Cube Street COSM selector switch. But a post here: https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=4417.0 does offer a replacement part number SRBV170501 for the 7-position ALPS switch (for the early Micro Cube) from Mouser.

So, I'm guessing that the 8-position switch variant for the early Cube Street might be the SRVB181004
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...Vn6waOWCY5xN2tP1CKhdQE%2BgxQIEsxyyrpndfDCpQ==

($7.17)

6. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

bad encoder...

7. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I would try to get an amp that works unless that is the only amp voicing you want or need.

8. Pasta Player

Resurrected!

After waiting 20 days for the part to arrive and then procrastinating about the install - POW! Done. And yes, the 8-position switch (“encoder”?) was the culprit. Of couse, no sleepy-time ’til 3 a.m. / up playing.
    Side.png
    Switch bought “blind” from Mouser has a shorter shaft - but works.
    Checking another U.K source for a closer match (the green one).

First.png
    Snip white ties, remove the two screws, the two footswitch nuts on back - orange arrows) and nearly all pot knobs and nuts on top. Then footswitch input board and main top board then easily (carefully) can be snaked-out and removed together. Plastic-white wire-connectors can be left attached or very carefully removed. De-solder old switch and replace with new switch w/ same orientation.

Second.png
    Third.png
    Re-assemble. Play ’til 3:00 a.m.
    BTM.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.