1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Roland cube question - new v old

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Does anyone know how the current Roland "Blues Cube" series compares to the older "Cube" amps from 10 or more years ago? I see older Roland Cubes used for very reasonable prices. but these are not the "Blues Cube" amps that are well-loved and sell for more. Does anyone know if there is a big difference, besides age?

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There is a huge difference IMO.

Voiced differently.

Much more sag on the BCs.

The Cubes are much more immediate (which I like).

YMMV.

If @brookdalebill has experience with both, he's a great resource as he loves the old Cubes and uses them extensively.

LGOberean and brookdalebill like this.
  3. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

There are big differences. The modern "Cube" amps have multiple voicings -- Blackface, Marshall, Rectifier -- and use the COSM modeling technology.

Blues Cubes are more like a replication of a classic valve amp with analog solid state circuitry.

The older ones are not software-based but some of the newer ones have "Tone Capsules" that change the characteristics of the amp. This, to me, implies at least some level of software-based parameters in the amp, though not necessarily fully digitized.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what COSM means, but hopefully it's something good. Guess I'll have to hear for myself. SO far nobody has said the old ones suck, so that's good. I am looking for a cheap replacement for my cheap little Mustang, which I use as a headphone amp, and is fine, but I am done with the go-on-the-computer-to-find-a-tone thing.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The old Cubes are LOUD. Did I say LOUD?

Like, as loud as a Twin Reverb on 4-5. But when the Cube volume is at 2. Below 1.5 the Cube is barely audible. At least the 2 I owned.

6. Marc Morfei

I did go ahead and pick up an older Cube from someone on Craiglist. Cube 20x. 20 watts, 8" speaker. It sounds really good, better than my little Fender Mustang I, which was the whole idea. But it does have a kind of "1980s" compressed sound to it. That's not was I was going for, but some tweaking was able to get a few very good sounds. The acoustic simulation is surprisingly good. The "tube" model was not very convincing. But a couple of the boost models are pretty good, especially if you keep the gain down. It excels at 80s hair metal sounds, which of course I have zero interest in. But it's role is strictly as a practice amp, mostly to be used with headphones. Dirt cheap, no complaints. Putting my Mustang I up for sale.

MilwMark likes this.
  7. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I found a deal recently on the Blues Cube Tour - the head from the line that came with a very high price tag. This thing can get loud plugged into an Eminence Lil Texas or Tonkerlite (I have each in small l 1x12" semi-open cabinets). Loud and clean with the Sparkle Clean Tone Capsule. I also have the Ultimate Blues, which does a great DR sound at any volume. My only issue is the Tone Capsules don't insert as easily as I'd like. I don't want to push too hard and damage anything in the amp. But they do install, and the amp light changes color (and the amp sound changes radically) to prove it.

I also play the Hot, the British EL84 Hot, and the BOSS Drive version as well. So I am a bit of a Roland fanboy at this point.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Tim S likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.