Roland Cube Club (all models)

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Swee_tone, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

pg 14 of the manual says to hold down the tap button for 2 or more seconds to erase the loop.

2. gtrplyr335

gtrplyr335 TDPRI Member

Cube 80x Looper

I Thought I had tried that...but I'll give it another shot.
    Thanks.....:lol:

3. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

I have an older Cube 30....great bedroom amp. Used it at a BBQ gig the other day, sounded great.

4. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

From another post on this site I found this page on Cube settings for the 80X.

I imagine it may be close for other cubes. The translation from German follows and then the link:

SOUNDS OF HEROES - CUBE-80X

Here are a few hints on setting the "Sounds of the Heroes":

The figures given in the table correspond to the small hands of a clock.

examples:
    10 = 10.00 clock
    15.5 = 15.30 clock

Each guitar has a different starting level.
    If you have a guitar with high output level (Les Paul guitar with active pickups):
    Please have the extra gain in some sounds turn down anything.
    In the clean sounds it could otherwise use a little adjustment.

The final volume is actually variable. It is set at at the "upper room volume."
    This control has no influence on the sound, so you can adjust it according to your volume requirements.

These settings are of course only approximations of the original sound, and actually make out only about 50 percent of the sound.
    The other 50 percent come from the fingers of the guitarist, and that's a good thing!
    In this sense, a lot of fun especially during setting up and during playing.

http://www.soundsderhelden.de/download/SDH-Cube-80X.pdf

There it is. Hopefully it works well. Thanks to the original poster for posting this link in another thread.

5. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

Hi guys. I'm a fairly new member here, and I'm not a Cube owner (yet ?), but thought this would be the best place to ask a couple of questions about them.

I haven't seen any of the apparent favoured Cube 60's around for sale locally (I'm in New Zealand), and shipping any amp costs a fortune - and lots of eBay sellers simply don't want the hassle of shipping internationally.

I'm left pretty much with a choice of either a 40XL or an 80XL. (I don't want to go lower than the 40).
    I got to play through a 40XL at a local guitar shop the other day, but only briefly. I was really impressed with the sounds I got from this amp. I had never played through a Cube ever before, and can see why so many people here are enthusiastic about them. Great tone out of a little box !!

What is the verdict on the 80XL ? Some people seem to like it, and others definitely don't by the sound of things. It was the one I had in mind, simply for the 12" speaker, and a few more bells & whistles. However, if the new 80XL isn't that great, I may consider the 40XL.

Any helpful input from owners or users of either amp, would be gratefully received.
    Cheers,
    Grant.

6. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

If you can be patient search you local ebay or ebay u.s.a. to find the cube 60 some one will ship to you in Zland.;)

7. jefsut

jefsut Tele-Meister

I've owned two Cube 15s, sold one, missed it, bought another one.

Wouldn't mind upgrading to a 20 or 30 xl.

8. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Probably unnecessary to say, but a USA/Canadian model wouldn't be of the right mains voltage for NZ. If you really want to check out a Cube 60, I'd agree in suggesting patience - there are bound to be more than a few in New Zealand and one may come up for sale sooner or later. I use mine a whole lot (as I said in the other thread) and it's excellent, but I still reckon the TM60's a more "grown-up" amp.

However, none of the above answers your question about the 80XL model, of which sadly I have no personal experience.

9. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

Thanks Tony. No the Cube wouldn't be a "replacement" for a TM60 . . ;)
    We don't have a "local" eBay as such, but another auction website called Trademe. It's very similar, and I have bought and sold lots of gear via Trademe.

However, the Cube 60 is not one that comes up - so far - that I have seen. There are other Cubes, and battery Cubes, but the 60 is a very rare commodity.
    I'll keep my eye out for one though.

10. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

Thanks flag72. I will keep my eyes open on eBay, but as Tony has pointed out, the voltage difference that you have in Canada / USA market is different to New Zealand. I hadn't considered that.

Incidentally, your Canadian Rugby team is playing some very good Rugby down here at the World Cup. They are based in my home town (or very close), and them, and their supporters have been popular visitors here.

11. Tony474

Worth bearing in mind that, good as the Cube 60 it is, it doesn't have quite as many "toys" as the later models - no looper, tuner or "power squeezer", for example, and the reverb or delay options are just a bit limited and mutually exclusive. But superb voicing of all the available sounds and pretty decent volume and clean headroom too.

12. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

Oh ok, I didn't know that. Certainly the "toys" on the 40XL added to it's appeal.
    However, what I liked most of all, was the really good clean sound of the JC model. The plate reverb was good too.
    I thought it may be a way to approximate a nice JC120 Chorus - in a small package.
    I'm looking forward to trying more Cubes out.

13. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I've posted a few times in this thread about my 40XL. I would choose it over the Mutang if I had to choose one or the other. I've also owned the Trademark 60 and Trademark 10, and while they are excellent, I would not class the Cubes as inferior or less "grown up". That's silly!
    The Cube has just as good as sounds and durabilty as the Tech 21 IMO and has some effects like delay, and tuner , that most of us use occasionally.
    I would like to give the 80XL a chance one day, i've heard the negative reviews in comparison to the 60, but I think I'd like to see for myself.
    The internet has all kinds of reviews/ claims from people with different tastes/ styles, so I think it's up to each one to see if it fits them.
    These are awesome peices of gear, used for pro gigging and recording. So is the Tech 21 at almost double the price. I'd love to own everything! LOL

14. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

I certainly enjoyed what little time I spent playing the 40XL the other day. I agree. They are a great sounding little amp.
    I'm not about to choose a Cube - over a "Mutang" lol :p (sorry). I have a Mustang 3 coming my way in a few days.
    I am looking at getting another amp as well, and a TM60 is one choice I will probably make, but I would like to have a small amp to easily take around the place with me, that has "bells & whistles", and sounds really good. The 40XL might fit the bill perfectly. I'm keen to try the 80XL though. Apart from the extra power, it does have a couple of extra "whistles" that the 40XL doesn't have (mind you - it doesn't have the power squeeze I believe?)

I have mentioned somewhere else on this website, that I have been playing guitar for over 47 years now, and only very recently got introduced to the Cube amps . . . and that has been from reading posts from guys like you, on this website.
    I'm very glad I read about them, and for the valuable information written here. They are a very special little amp!
    Cheers,
    Grant.

PS. . . I just noticed that your 'post number' was 666. Do write to someone else . . . !! :lol:

15. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

post 667 now!

Glad you have a Mustang coming, you're going to like it.
    After reading this thread this morning, I pulled out my Cube and Epi Dot, it sounds gorgeous.

There are dozens of great amps, tube or solid state. I'm thinking of buying a Mustang 3 or aTrademark 60 (again, as I foolishly sold it during a bad time)myself. I have 2 tube amps presently, a 1963 Gibson and a 1977 Garnet. They are all wonderful.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  16. Tony474

Definitely one of the Cube 60's major strengths and seemingly applicable to other models too. I tend not to bother with the on-board effects apart from a touch of reverb, but just to use my pedalboard into the JC Clean channel, do the gig and go home smiling.

But the great thing about the Cube is its full-size sound from a physically small unit. Many of my jobs are sufficiently restricted in space as to make even the TM60 or another "full-size" 1 x 12 combo too big for comfort and that's where the Cube comes into its own.

17. shanghaitele

shanghaitele TDPRI Member

Hi

I think that 2 features of the 80xl are very useful. The external cabinet output and the 2 line out, one is like in the 40xl that mute the speaker and double as headphone out. The other line out doesn't mute the speaker ad it is useful when you play live and you want to use the amp as monitor to listen to yourself on the stage ad go to the PA with the line signal without microphone.

As far as I know many reviews state the superiority of the cube 60 on the old 80x but actually I think Roland solved the problem of the tone stack of the 80x in the new 80xl

Ciao

18. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

Yeah I think the Mustang 3 is going to be a lot of fun! I'll kick around with that for a while, and decide if I want a Cube or the TM60 . . . or both !! lol. :p

I now have no tube amps, and no regrets about that situation. As long as it sounds good . . . "it sounds good" !! Tubes require replacement, and can be a bit "iffy" at times. I'm over that. SS will now be how I go, and it's quite a refreshing choice, especially with all the good SS gear available now.

Which do you think you will get ? The modelling amp Mustang, or the tone monster TM60 ? Either way, you can't loose I would think.
    Have fun with you decision making.

19. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

That's how I see the value of the Cube amps Tony. That great JC sound, and in a small box. Very easy to take anywhere - with one hand !! :D
    I kind of like the plate reverb I tried on the 40XL the other day. It was a bit different from just having the usual spring available on most amps. I realize that Cube has both.

I may have the opportunity to pick up a second hand TM60, and a new Cube 40XL . . . and a guitar I have always been keen to get my hands on . . . one of Trev Wilkinson's Vintage L.P. Lemon drop's. I love that Peter Green middle tone. I have a Vintage Strat V6 icon, and simply love that guitar. Trev designs nice guitars!

I will have to take something for this G.A.S. problem . . . . MMmmm ... :D

20. GrantR

GrantR Tele-Meister

I think you are right. The demo's I have heard on Youtube for the 80XL, have been great!
    I haven't got anything to measure them against, as far as Cube's go, but I thought they sounded pretty good. Certainly the 40XL I tried the other day had beautiful tone.

The other features I was thinking of was the extra Fender style amp model,(can't remember off hand, which one it is . .) and the presence control. They are extras that the 40XL hasn't got.
    That's a lot, packed into a small and tuff and very portable little package!
    Cheers,
    Grant.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.