Roland Cube Club (all models)

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Swee_tone, Apr 7, 2011.

1. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

Sorry I'm late to the party. I've had an 80XL for prolly around fifteen years. I got it for its cleans to play more traditional jazz at home and in smaller venues. I like the models and effects OK, and its looping capablity, but most often use it clean with a touch of tremolo and delay. The looper gets used in layers, with a BOSS pedal, most often to find good riffs and hone improvisation skills. It's punchy, bright, and loud. Great amp for the money.

But I'll be honest, these days I use an original Mesa Express 5:50 (with a half dozen pedals) most of the time in a home studio.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, I'm even later to the party than DekeDog, but I'm finally a part of the club. :D

Today I was given a Roland CUBE-15 by a friend. He and his wife recently moved from Corpus Christi to Maryland, and after we said our goodbyes he remembered some things he wanted to give me. So he left them at a seniors community that I play on Thursdays, so I picked up the gear today. There was a box with a number of microphones and cables in it, and the amp. I haven't even checked out the mics yet, I just got home with the box of stuff, took the CUBE-15 out and gave it a quick test drive. I played through it using the Clean channel, then using the Overdrive and Distortion settings on the Lead channel. I'll probably never use the Metal or Metal Stack settings. Then I snapped a few pics so I could post about it here on TDPRI.

I don't know how long my friend had the amp. I've known him 10 years, performed in a duo with him some years back. For about as long as I've known him, he's had this amp. But the amp is older than that, at least 13 years old, maybe as much as 17. I actually played through it once, probably 7 years ago now.

Everything's working, well, I haven't tried the Metal and Metal Stack setting on the Lead channel, 'cuz like I said before, I'll probably never use them. I like the Roland Clean just fine. And I have a BOSS ME-70 multi-fx pedal, so I'll test drive the amp with that multi next.
    08-29-2019 - Roland CUBE-15 - 1 (2).jpg
    08-29-2019 - Roland CUBE-15 - 3.jpg 08-29-2019 - Roland CUBE-15 - 5.jpg

Tony474 likes this.
  3. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

That was very nice of your friend and I'm glad you like the little amp. I have (among others) a Cube 20, which is essentially the same thing with added effects and a basic tuner. Surprisingly loud for its notional power and perfectly capable of doing a limited-volume gig on the JC Clean channel. In fact I used mine for just that purpose last weekend, when it did the job very satisfactorily.

Enjoy the amp!

LGOberean likes this.
  4. LGOberean

Thanks. Yeah, I'm glad to have the amp. Last night I put the ME-70 in front of it, and experimented a bit. Added reverb, then layered on top of that tremolo, then switched to a blend of chorus + delay with the 'verb. Also played with fuzz, distortion and overdrive, and tried out different COSM amp models on the ME-70 through the CUBE-15. The amp models worked well through the amp, had an all around fun time experimenting.

When I finished, I asked my wife what she thought, and she gave some typical "That was fine" type of answer. But she then added, "That was almost too loud." I had the volume set between 9 and 10 o'clock. I could definitely do some gigs with this thing, but then I wasn't surprised by that. I do a lot of gigs with a Vox Pathfinder 15R, so amps with a small footprint, 15 watts and an 8" speaker are something I use for a lot of gigs.

5. Tony474

The thing that interests me about the little Cube is its sonic character, especially on the clean channel. As you'd expect from such a small enclosure with an 8" speaker, it doesn't have a lot of bottom end, but perhaps more surprisingly not a huge amount of top either. But nevertheless there's something else going on that I can't quite identify. It has a particular sparkle to its sound that is very intriguing and helps it to be heard clearly, at least at small-gig volumes.

I don't take it out often, but it was appropriate for last weekend's work and didn't disappoint. I enjoyed using it and, even better, I enjoyed carrying it!

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cube fans, what was the biggest Cube? (I guess I mean Watts)

7. LGOberean

I'm the Johnny come lately to this club, so I'm by no means the voice of authority on this, but the 80 watt models (80X, 80XL, 80GX) are the biggest versions (wattage-wise) of the CUBEs that I know about.

schenkadere likes this.
  8. Tony474

Back in the day there was a 100W Cube from the original series – my example was covered in orange vinyl. It had one 12" speaker with a metal dust-cap, probably the same type as the pair in the JC120. Bloody good amp with switchable channels. I regret parting with it.

Of the current or recent COSM Cubes, I think the various 80-watt models are as big as they get for guitar. There are 100-watt and 120-watt Bass Cubes.

schenkadere likes this.
  9. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I bought a Microcube about ten years ago, foolishly used it as a trade in to get a small bass amp.

Regretted that right away. Bought another a few years later mainly for the JC Clean model. Really missed that one. The current one is going nowhere.

10. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Tony474 likes this.
  11. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I love my Microcube, in my apartment. In a larger room it gets lost, but that's not what it's for. The overdrive sounds better than most of my pedals through it.

12. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I have a Red MicroCube
    My daughter has a Black MicroCube
    I should buy a White MicroCube
    So we would have the 3colors variants... :D

Great-Tiny or Tiny-Great amps, premium quality, remarkable tone for Soul, Funk, Surf, 60's and Rock'n'Roll at reduced scale.

I wouldn't part with mine, nor my daughter.

I recorded that Dirty-Funky-Soul guitar track with my Red MicroCube, a VOX V846HW wah, a 2005 Squier Std Strat. It was later instrumentally completed by a keyboardist friend :

-tbln

13. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I’m curious. What are your favorite setting/voices, volume and gain settings. I have no manual for either of my Cubes, a Mico and a 40GX.

14. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

I bought a Blues Cube Artist 1x12 from a friend a few years ago and used it on a fair number of gigs. I never really sat down and worked with it closely to dial in a good sound but I liked it just the same. Earlier this year the guy I bought it from was lamenting about having gotten rid of it so I sold it back to him. Then last week I was kinda bumming that I sold it so I bought a new one... also got the clean sparkle tone capsule to go with it. It's still in the box, but I'll get to it soon. :)

Tony474 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.