Roland Cube Club (all models)

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Swee_tone, Apr 7, 2011.

1. gtrplyr335

gtrplyr335 TDPRI Member

Re: Pulled the trigger on a new Roland Cube80x

Thanks for all your comments. I'm gonna work with this little cube for awhile and put it through its paces. ;)
    Will do no mods for right now. I may try and somehow do a "hook up" where the Cube 80x is running the Cube 60's speaker cabinet. That way I can see if the two bottom ports make a difference. Of course I have to take into consideration that the 60's speaker is 5+ years old....and the Cube 80's speaker is from a new production line of speakers. :eek:

Please...if you have anything to add that might come to mind go ahead and share. That's what's so great about forums like this one. We can all learn from each other. Now, can anyone tell me how to play an Aminor7b5+9 chord?........ :eek: Just kiddin'.
    Thanks

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Ah, that one. Now let me see... (Plays around on guitar for several minutes...) No. :lol:

Edit: Actually, there is a way. Play an open A minor shape but move it up 3 frets so you're playing open A plus G, C and D# (aka E-flat). Then add a B on the 1st string with the 4th finger (pinky) at the 7th fret. This would be an inversion of Am7b5+9. Though why on Earth you'd want to play it is another matter! ;)

3. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I'm going to have to check my 40XL for portholes because it sounds amazing. I'm thinking the cosm modelling is not the issue.
    The louder you turn it up the more amazing it sounds too, unlike many modelling or SS amps.

I'm not even going to attempt that chord!:)

4. gtrplyr335

gtrplyr335 TDPRI Member

This would be an inversion of Am7b5+9. Though why on Earth you'd want to play it is another matter!

LOL

5. Bob_H

Bob_H Tele-Meister

I wonder who made the speaker for the 40xl. I just got through practicing for a bit and noticed it's capable of a little bit of "thump."

Too bad the 40xl doesn't have an external cabinet out. It would be interesting to hear it through a 2x12 or a 1x15 cab. I don't want to void my warranty... yet.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's a clean-looking 3x10 Blues Cube 60 going for $300 OBO locally. Is that a good price?

7. Tony474

Sounds pretty reasonable to me if it's in good condition and functioning correctly. Brilliant amp, if a little on the large side. Wish I hadn't had to sell mine, but with all my other amps (including the 1 x 12 Blues Cube) space was the issue. BTW, the BC-60 3 x 10 actually puts out 75 watts into 5.33 ohms.

8. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

A friend of mine who I have jammed with reads here and has been following this thread. He owns a Cube 40XL as well. Anyways, this morning he forwarded me this email to Roland...

"Hi, I am considering the purchase of the Cube 80XL. I already own the 40XL. Many of the guitar forums, especially the worldwide "TDPRI", are saying they (Cube 80XL) sound inferior to the Cube 60 despite the new eq adjusting you have to do on it.
    I realise the eq must be played with a bit to preference.

Can you tell me please if the speaker is different? Has there been changes to the COSM modelling on the new XL versions from the previous Cubes?
    Any changes/ info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks much
    "

"Greetings / Salutations!,

These specifications are not published, however as guitar and amplifier tone is so subjective and greatly affected by personal taste, it's natural that there will be players who prefer one amp over another.

We suggest that the best opinion in this case is yours. All our Roland CUBE dealers would be happy to let you check out the new CUBE-80XL, and you may be able to find a CUBE-60 in stock to do your own direct comparison.

As BOSS and Amplifier product manager at Roland Canada, I have played all our CUBE series amps extensively, and I love the tone of the CUBE-80XL. In my set-up, I use the CUBE-80XL with an 8-ohm extension cabinet as this provides 100-watts of power.

Best Regards / Sincèrement vôtre,
    Roland Canada"

9. Bob_H

Bob_H Tele-Meister

Offer 225 and see if he moves. They are occasionally on *bay and have sold in a range of 250 to 325. I don't know what drives the 75$ spread.

10. Bob_H

Bob_H Tele-Meister

I'm not clear on how adding the extension cab increases the wattage. I belive it might drop the overall load to 4 ohms thereby increasing the the volume some. But not the wattage.

Beyond that, it's cool that he responded at all.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I thought the watts increased as the load dropped for SS (but not tube) amps. Take the Acoustic Image Clarus+ head, for example:

450 watts @ 8 ohms
    800 watts @ 4 ohms
    1,000 watts @ 2 ohms

12. Bob_H

Bob_H Tele-Meister

You're right--

I had overlooked that. I know I've seen ratings posted that way for class D amplification.

What class of amps are the XL series? Later, after my warranty is down I would entertain adding an external speaker output to a single 15" rated at 4 ohms if I knew that the amp could handle the reduced resistance.

13. Tony474

Supply, demand and the buyer's willingness to pay, I'd guess. When I was very reluctantly constrained to sell my BC-60 3x10 via the UK Bay, it fetched £221, which at present is about $354 US - I don't know the current Canadian dollar rate. This was a bit more than I'd paid for it a couple of years previously, but that was in the same general ballpark as well.

So, given that prices are generally a little lower overall on the left side of the pond, I still reckon $300CDN is very reasonable, though of course if it can be bought for less, better still.

14. elkhart1956

elkhart1956 Tele-Meister

well I did it; I got a Roland Cube 60 COSM

Choices choices! So many choices in affordable ss amps.

I was leaning towards a vox pathfinder, but I wanted something loud enough to take into a club setting.

I spotted a clean used cube 60 and got it for just under $200. Maybe I could have found one cheaper but I am not going to fret over pennies. I am just going to learn how to operate this to get the sounds out of it I want.

So far, so good! I love this baby!

So the question I now have is this: how can I determine the year it was made?

Ser# CV22099

I assume it was made in '99. Am I correct?

15. Tony474

Can't have been made that long ago - the model is much more recent than that. I think it appeared in 2006 and was superseded by the Cube 80X about three years later. Opinion is divided, but a great many players seem to think the 60 is a better-sounding amp, albeit with fewer toys. I love mine and gig it nearly all the time.

16. Bob_H

Bob_H Tele-Meister

40xl Buzz!

Loving my 40xl! But...

The grille buzzes when I play E with the heavy octave on at non "power squeezer" volumes and volume is at about 12 to 1 o'clock. I figured out where the buzz comes from -- the Roland logo. The grill beings to resonate and the logo is tapping the metal grille at that frequency.

I don't want to send the amp all the way back to Sweetwater. In a little research it appears that I'm not the only person who experiences the buzz (no seventies jokes please).

So, I will be applying a simple solution by attaching black "craft" foam on the back of the logo, neoprene o-rings on all the grille screws and a little black craft foam on all the edges of the grille (very subtely).

I'm guessing this will void the warranty. Oh well.

17. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I haven't had that problem with mine even cranked at full volume.

Bob, you could just take the "R" logo off , at least until the warranty runs out? It's not like it adds any extra to the looks of the unit anyways... just an idea...

18. Bob_H

Bob_H Tele-Meister

I know it's silly but, I'm proud of my Roland Logo!

True be told, I'll probably do that (take the badge off) and put it in my guitar tool box for safe keeping.

Interesting note though, the Cube 40xl is the first amp my wife has actually commented on as far as quality of tone. She stopped in the garage Friday night and wanted to hear it - as long as I had the power squeezer on. ;')

She said "sounds sweet."

19. gtrplyr335

gtrplyr335 TDPRI Member

Cube 80x...Looper Question

OK... I've had the 80x now for about 2 weeks. I've played it side by side with my Cube 60. If I had to pick one to rescue from the burning stage...well, I'd leave both of them and just grab my guitar...But if I had to choose I'd take the 60. Nothing wrong with the 80x...I'm just more in my comfort zone with the 60. The 80x holds it's own on a gig. But I have a question for you all regarding the looper on the 80x.

When I use the looper with either the button on the main panel or a Boss FS6 pedal it works just fine. When I tap it twice...it stops like it's supposed to. But the only way I can clear it out to begin a completely new loop... I have to turn off the amp and then back on. Basically a reboot. Is that correct?
    Is that normal? The looper on my Boss ME70 isn't the same. When I tap it twice it erases the loop and I can start anew.
    Any insight would be appreciated.

20. shanghaitele

shanghaitele TDPRI Member

Hi!

I am considering to buy a cub 40 or 80 xl and I would like to know how the me70 (that I own and love) sounds in this kind of amp. Do you use it in the amp input? What do you think? Sorry that I cannot reply to your question but I see you have these amps and the boss unit so I ask.
    Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.