Roland Cube Club (all models)

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Swee_tone, Apr 7, 2011.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

street cube here...Ilove the thing...got it for small coffee house gig...plug in guitar and mic and youre set love low effort setups.!!!!:D

2. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

Cube 60 here and I love it. Put a Dunlop Wah in front and away you go! Loves pedals too.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I haven't used anything but Cubes (60s and 80s) for the last 4 years.
    Light, loud, extremely versatile, cheap, dependable, and replaceable.
    What's not to like?

4. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I've been converted to the dark side! :p I currently own a Cube 60, Cube 30, and a MicroCube.

I actually have two Cube 60's, run 'em in stereo, they sound amazing. The Microcube is great for banging around town. The Cube 30 is my home practice amp.

I haven't sold my tube amps yet, but I haven't used them in over a year...

Friend of mine recently got a Cube 40XL, he loves it. I want one of those too!

Still haven't had the pleasure of checking out the 80... Seems some folks prefer their 60's. What's your take on the difference between them?

5. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

The main difference is in the eq settings, where on the 80 it starts at 0 and then you move your way up. It's a bit confusing at first so many folks dismiss the 80 as bad sounding when they try it with same settings as their 60.

6. Pistol

Pistol TDPRI Member

Hi all
    I stumbled onto a used Cube 30, liked it in the store and even more at home! Really so many tones for a light portable amp. I was really impressed with the sound quality out of the headphone/out line. I run the sound system at our church and we often use this into the board- sounds great.
    I also have a 30xl at home, I have other amps but really like using these!

7. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a cube 60 and 30, they were both great.

8. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

Imo the only cubes worth owning is the old brown tolex models that Bickert used. I've played through them many times and they sound great. i owned an 80x for a month or two, but got rid of it as there is a noise gate that is always on that takes effect shortly after you play a note. As soon as you add a pedal in front of the amp the annoying and unnatural sounds caused by the noise gate are greatly augmented. This was a deal breaker for me.

9. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

Sorry but this is an amp owners club, see ya.

10. shanghaitele

shanghaitele TDPRI Member

Hello.
    I don't know if this the right place where to ask, in case forgive me.

I tried a cube40xl and I have been impressed. Here where I live is not yet available in the shops, but I hope it will be soon. My question is this:

How this amp take stompboxes (no fancy or boutique just simple and plain Boss) or multiefx like boss m-70 or line 6 m-9?

Thanks

11. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

In my experience the Cubes all respond very well indeed to all kinds of outboard effects, especially on the "JC Clean" channel. I don't think you'll have any problems at all.

12. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

like Tony474 said it take's pedal well on the J.C. clean channel,I have the roland cube 60 and it is awsome but on other channel some time it's not 100%, but then again those are effect channel if you di decide to buy one you wont regret it believe me ;0)

13. shanghaitele

shanghaitele TDPRI Member

Thanks guys for the info. I had the opportunity to play several times with a jc120 and my pedals and I had the best Sound in my life. Unfortunately I cannot buy a jc120. If I can get a similar result with the jc channel of the cube xl I will be very happy!!! Plus I like the idea that for a jam or the rehearsal o cam take with me only the amp leaving at home the effects

Thanks

14. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

I think it's a fair and legitimate concern to any potential buyers and I think it's also fair for me to comment on cubes considering I have owned a 60, 80x, and have been loaned a 30x as well as one of the brown tolex models. They are great little amps for the price and I don't think you can find a better practice amp for that cheap but I just don't care for the noise gate. But then again that's just me.

15. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I'll ask you to forgive my comment if it sounded rude, my concern was that we keep the Cube club a place where people could feel good about buying and playing this great amp.
    That is a legitamite concern for some people, you are right.

16. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Something else I have notices with my Cube.
    The COSM effects / models are really quite dynamic.

They respond to picking dynamics, and the OD/Dist models clean up massivlely if you roll the guitar vol back.

I had not expected that! - really quite something.

I think someone mentioned the 'Brit Combo' (ACxx modelling) not being the most 'successful'. I've heard the same said elsewhere. Fair enough.

Oddly though, it is my absolute favourite! I dont worry whether it is wholly 'accurate ACxx sound' - its in the ball-park IMO, but its a great Voxy sound. Admittedly a bit middy.

The 'trick' with the Brit Combo model is to select it before/without listening to any of the other models first, and just go for it!
    (A/B'd against some of the bright models it will sound middy and flat - at first - and that can be off-putting). IMHO!

For the same reason that TS-808 / TS-9 may often sound 'cardboard-y' in an A/B test, but will sound great if you dont A/B it - just plug it in, go for it, and use it for what it does.

17. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

I have microcube and brit combo is my favorite model.

18. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

:cool:

Cool - that sounds like an introduction at a meeting for the 'MCA' (Micro Cubes Anonymous ;) )

Would make a good slogan t-shirt too :D

19. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

That's also a fair comment, and I'm seriously considering buying a Cube 60 new for use as a backup as you can't beat the JC120 model for cheap jazz cleans.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.