Roland Blues Cube - Is it the amp for me?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cloodie, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

So is the artist the only one I could use pedals on, if I decide to ever invest in any? Sorry for such basic questions but I've been away from all this for a long time. Also, the one thing I'd really like to be able to use is a looper pedal would this be compatible with all versions of the amp?

2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

You can use pedals just fine with any of the Blues Cube versions. And you do not need the extra 20 watts of the Artist, trust me.

Cloodie and Dr Improbable like this.
  3. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

I have a Blues Cube Hot and it is VERY good. I don't use the boost. Nice sounding amp, I use the lowest setting when everyone's asleep, and the full 30 watts for jamming with humans.

Crobbins likes this.
  4. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Treat the input of a BC like you'd treat the input of any other amplifier. If you want to put pedals in front of it, go for it.

The effects loop exits downstream of the preamp. When I first bought my BCA, I used it to insert a rack effects unit that wasn't well-suited to guitar-level signals. These days I'm using the return as an input for an external modeler/multi-effects unit so I can use that through the PA and cabinet without the BC's built-in amp model.

Cloodie and Crobbins like this.
  5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You can use pedals with all three and you can use a looper with all three. The only difference with the highest end Artist is it has an effects loop, so you have options for where you put the various effects and where you put the looper and how you combine pedals with the amp's native gain and reverb and tremolo.

I play the Blues Cube Hot totally clean, with a small pedal board between the guitar and the amp. My board basically has a clean boost, an overdrive, a delay, and a reverb pedal, so I get whatever gain and reverb I want from that (rather than the amp itself), as well as delay and boost. At the very END of the pedal chain, the last thing before the amp, is the looper pedal. That way I can use one combination of settings for the rhythm track(s), usually clean, and then another set, often with some gain and/or boost and/or a heavier reverb setting, for playing leads over the rhythms. If you put the looper before any of the actual effects pedals, those effects will color both what the looper is playing and what you're currently playing. But if you put it at the end, it will record one group of settings and play that back, but let you play along with that with a totally different sound. I find this invaluable.

You can do this with any of them, but the Artist gives you another option to put the effects in an effects loop. It has it's uses, but it sounds like it would be overkill for your application. It honestly sounds like for your situation, the Hot would be more than enough amp for you, as it is for me - I rarely play it above 5 watts and very often at .5 watts. The only reason for playing at low volume to have the Stage would be if you want to experiment with the tone capsules. But that's kind of the same type of rabbit hole as you had with the Katana - just more options...

-Ray

Marc Morfei and Cloodie like this.
  6. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Is there a foot switch for the effects on the Blues Cube?
    I see there is a tap tremolo on the amp, (if there is a foot switch) that’d be pretty handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Hi, yes there is a foot switch available for the Blues Cube. I own the Artist version, and it does have a tap tremolo feature. I think the Stage version has it as well, but I am not sure.

McGlamRock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.