Roland Blues Cube Hot just died????

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by goddardo, Jan 17, 2020.

1. goddardo

goddardo Tele-Meister

So my Blues cube hot died last night... No mains light, sound, nothing. Had chassis out... No burn marks, internal fuse intact, different mains leads tested. The main problem is I'd sold it locally. The guy gets back to me an hour or so later saying its died. Its been fine, albeit very susceptible to buzzing and sensitive to bad mains / tube lighting. Any views or comments welcome guys

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

In old vernacular...bummer!!....for the buyer and you. This is one of the problems when selling or buying used equipment.
    was it sold ‘as is’, or did you give a warranty or return policy??? Did the buyer cause the failure somehow??? First of all....is the fuse good or does it simply ‘look good’. A failed fuse can fool the eye, ime.

I once had a fellow interested in a Rivera era Fender Princeton Reverb II. His wife was adamantly against his buying it because she thought buying a new Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville type of amp with..at that time...a 5 year warranty was the way to go. I had known the Prin Rev II for 6 years, and it had never given a problem. He wanted a warranty....I offered him a 30 day warranty at the asking price, which was less than the new Fender amp. He came back and wanted a 6 month warranty. I agreed to that for an added $100....still less than the new amp. I observed that what was going to happen is that I would simply make $100 more on the deal and that the amp was going to be fine. I also observed that he was going to need the warranty on that new Fender because ime the failure rate on those inexpensively built newer Fenders was higher than with the older handwired amp. Note: I see far more of these inexpensively built Blues/Hot Rod amps failing than I do vintage amps that take a dive. He kept coming back with other ‘offers’ until I finally told him that I did not think that the PRII was the amp for him and I was not wanting to sell it to him. He was a winter ‘snowbird’ from Connecticut...his wife drove a Bentley. I was glad not to sell it to him as I was sensing nothing except trouble from him....or more specifically his wife.
    Good luck with the situation. I vote that the sale was ‘as is’....and that operator error is as likely as any other cause. If you have a spare fuse, perhaps that will get it back in operation...or check the fuse with an ohmmeter to ascertain if it really is good.

3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

What was he doing when it died?

In his shoes, I'd wonder what you did to sabotage the amp.

In your shoes I'd wonder what he did to sabotage the amp.

Fuse is where I'd assume got hit by a spike. Maybe if that's ok a spike hit before the fuse, and I've never contemplated replacing a SS power anything, so I'm not sure what that entails.

I once sold a college kid from OU(notorious party school) a mustang bass. He texted me 6 months later a picture of it in the case and a story about it surviving a venue catching fire. He was confirming what I told him about fenders being hard to break......

I have some old SS Peaveys for sale on this side of the pond. Not nearly as good at faking crunchy tones, but cleans for days and almost impossible to break....
    ;)

Wally likes this.
  4. Wally

re: old Peavey.. I agree that they can be hardy amps. I kept an ‘Extended Range Musical Instrument Amplifier’ model for: the ‘70’s around for a long time because it was a good test bed for anything......guitar, bass, keyboards...anything. I was playing through it one day and it went silent. I am sure that the filter caps gave up the ghost, but I have not repaired it. it would be an act of love since it would not bring the price of the repairs....but it is one of the best sounding old Peavey SS amps that I ave been around.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  5. goddardo

goddardo Tele-Meister

Thanks for the 'constructive' comments guys... I won't try another fuse incase there's an underlying problem... I'll get it looked at first.

6. Wally

Ime, one more fuse will not put the amp at risk as long as the fuse is the proper rating. An ohmmeter, which imho every guitarist should own since they are so inexpensive and so very useful, would tell one in a second or two if that fuse is blown or not.
    So...you took the amp back?

and...imho...our comments have been constructive.....as opposed to being ‘constructive’. I’ll log that response in for future consideration. (;^)

7. goddardo

goddardo Tele-Meister

Yes I took it back as the guy was a friend of a good friend, not some random guy... Log what you like mate. I put 'constructive' because like most forums, you get actual constructive comments like most on here, but also like most forums, you always get the occasional unhelpful Smart ass.

8. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

A thread on another guitar related forum (starts with Gear) had a Blues Cube which experienced the same failure mode as the OP has described. It ended up being a failed power supply.

9. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

How well do you know the guy? Be sure it's the same one you sold him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.