Roland Blues Cube Hot - BOSS DRIVE Special .. Thoughts

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JakeStone, Jul 26, 2018.

1. JakeStone

JakeStone Tele-Meister

There's gonna be a shoot out tonight.
    (Don't tell the Mrs Stone...)

[​IMG]

Treynor, raysachs, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That was quick! But hey, this way once you decide, you'll be sure...

Enjoy!

-Ray

3. JakeStone

JakeStone Tele-Meister

Gijjhgbnn
    Yep... I had all day yesterday pretty much to myself. Figured that I would snag the demo model on my card and bring it home and see what's what.

Well.. No more suspense.

So far, the Katana 100 is the winner. Basically for all the reasons stated earlier in thread. But mostly because I dig the sound(s) better! It is just a bit warmer and more open sounding to my ears.

As a side note. The Katana speaker really needed some time to warm up or break in. The first day it was very brittle sounding. But last night it was like a different amp as it has started to warm/loosen up.

In addition, I Love plugging in to Boss Tone Studio and the "other" software that's available with Sneaky amps.. THIS to me is the game changer. Just opens up the amp to so many possibilities and even subtle changes make a huge difference! I have a really long USB cable.. Allowing me to have my laptop next to me .. While tweaking the amp. Very cool. I don't think the amp's full potential can be reached without the software.

OK........ Quick comment on the BCH Boss Drive. While I liked the Katana better for it's over all sound and flexibility. It is hard to find anything wrong with the sound of the BCH. The amp sings......period. The clean sounds are pristine and the distortion is amazing.

In the end... I am glad I took the time and effort to grab both amps. At least, I won't be second guessing any more! I hate to return the Blues Cube it is a cool amp. But I don't need both!

Thanks for listening!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Lef T likes this.
  4. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cool - glad you went through the process to be sure of your preference. I agree that there's a LOT in the Katana that you need the software and sneaky amps to unlock. It's a fine amp used more simply, just as a basic amp without ever connecting it to a computer. But there's so much lurking in there that you need a computer to get to. I went crazy with that stuff for a couple of weeks but then once I'd tried everything, I was basically keeping it on one setting, using the Marshall 1959 setting and using my few pedals in front of the amp rather than the onboard effects. At that point, all of the potential was wasted on me and it just came down to the basic sound, which I preferred the BCH for. That was in comparison to the K-50, I don't doubt that the 100 will let the speaker breathe a bit more and most folks seem to prefer the speaker in the 100 as well (although more than a few seem to prefer the 50 for edge of breakup bluesy sounds like the BCH does so well, preferring the 100 more for higher gain stuff). But the 50 was already a bit bigger than I wanted in my small space and the 100 was out of the question. So between the two the BCH was the winner for ME, but I'd recommend anyone go through the process to decide for themselves. Because there's no one right answer, just a right answer for each of us individually.

Use it well!

-Ray

stevemc likes this.
  5. JakeStone

JakeStone Tele-Meister

As for the Katana's software.

Although, I've only had the amp a few days. I think the tweaking will subside and it will be a plug and play amp for me. Most of the time.

BTW I did play the BCH one more time,, before returning it. Damn nice amp.. I bet I would like the other Blues Cube versions too.

Oh and then I made mistake of googling Katana Artist.

LOL .. it never ends.

6. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz TDPRI Member

I tried the Blues Cube Hot in GC and thought it was great and very tube like. I was very impressed. I liked it better than the Katana but everyone's ears and opinions differ. I like simpler better. Enjoy your new amp.

7. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I'm pondering the Boss Drive model for low volume playing. My 5E3 is loud from the get go

8. JakeStone

JakeStone Tele-Meister

It sounds REALLY good at low volumes! The Boost and Tone buttons work well for different sounds. From pristine to real dirty.

It's small and light too. Although, I think it would be perfect with a bigger cabinet though. For me it was missing the low end.

I realize they make other larger units.. But the $499 price point is appealing.

9. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've had a BC Artist since the end of February, and am totally satisfied with the amp. I have played Teles, and Les Pauls through it.

Lef T likes this.
  10. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I had a Blues Cube Stage I stupidly sold as I was not in love with Ch 2.

11. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

I’ve owned. BC Hot Boss Drive for about 4 months. Play it every day. Very nice. I never played the Bassman version, but this is truly sweet and the power scaling kicks ass.

12. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I had the same opinion...until I got the NY Blues Tone capsule for my BCA. Now I can’t stop playing the crunch channel - it’s perfect for me! A real game changer...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.