1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Roland Blues Cube Fan Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by fatherjones, Mar 26, 2008.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

They do... my Artist certainly does. And I have had it right next to a Princeton Reverb, a Supersonic 60, a Supersonic 22, and a Bad Cat Hot Cat. The Artist does indeed sound, feel, react, and behave like a tube amp. I wouldn't have kept it (and use it as my rehearsal & gigging amp) otherwise.

2. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Cool. I have had a lot of tube amps, from a silverface DR over 20 years ago to a range of amps from both large and small builders. I respect people caring and asserting that their amp sounds/feels like tubes. I just don't, as I've had tube amps that sounded and felt great, and others that sounded and felt flat. As a result "like a tube amp" is not a very useful criterion for me. Maybe if all my tube amps had been great, I'd feel differently.

All I care about is whether the sound and response are right for me. And with the Blues Cube Hots, they totally are.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    ruger9 likes this.
  3. ruger9

This is a good illustration of the point... just as "all tube amps are NOT created equal", neither are all SS/digital amps. The Roland is the only one I have tried I can say sounds, feels, and reacts like the (GOOD) tube amps I have owned over the years. I doubt anyone would be able to pass a blindfold test. When people say "SS/digital amps will never equal tubes amps"... they've not played the right SS/digital amps, imo, as such a blanket statement cannot be made... just as it can't that "all tube amps are good"...

Grateful Ape and Anacharsis like this.
  4. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Still mulling over whether to get a Sparkle Clean....

DaphneBlue likes this.
  5. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Holic

Still can't get enough from my blues cube hot. But I'd kill to try the capsules. Great tools for the tone.

6. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

At high volume with a strat, I find the BCA doesn't quite have sufficient clarity. I'm hoping the SC would fix this.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  7. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Holic

I guess it might help then. Do you mean it lacks clarity and articulation when it breaks up?

My bc hot gets dirty quite quickly. But I don't play really loud (5-15 w) and when I play gigs the amp is mic'd so it's sort of clean when I want it to be.

8. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I play in a 13 piece w/horns. I need lots of clean headroom. Like a Twin.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  9. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Maybe it's time to check out a TM Twin.

10. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

I just ordered a BCH, I don't play out anymore and don't play loud or looking for distortion, hopefully it'll give me a nice tone and if not I'll just return it, online shopping is risque so you're limited to reviews and that sorta means little of nothing

DaphneBlue likes this.
  11. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I think a tone capsule might be cheaper

DaphneBlue and Tony474 like this.
  12. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Maybe ;)

Grateful Ape likes this.
  13. Anacharsis

Found a deal on a used mint Tour. I should have it in my hands by Friday.

DaphneBlue, Lef T and Grateful Ape like this.
  14. Anacharsis

I got it yesterday, in a positive surprise of quick shipping. Really love it. I am playing it through a 1x12 I have with an Eminence Lil Texas, and another with a Tonkerlite. The B/M/T controls on both the Clean and Crunch channels make the Dual Tone more useful than I suspect it would be otherwise. The sound is naturally big at full power. It's also nice to have MIDI and an XLR direct out, not to mention two effects loops. All around 17 lbs. - it's a featherweight.

I have a Sparkle Clean Tone Capsule I also got used at a low price on the way, and I am considering picking up and Ultimate Blues as well. Great amp!

DaphneBlue and ruger9 like this.
  15. ruger9

That's my only complaint about the Artist (combo): the shared EQ controls. That's why I got the Ultimate Blues capsule, as it allows me to have a good clean channel (cleaner/more headroom than stock) and a rocking dirty channel (more gain than stock), which works perfectly in my classic rock/70s-80s cover band, which was the sole reason I bought the amp.

Anacharsis likes this.
  16. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

UB is a lot better than the stock firmware for sure.

17. ruger9

Oh, I love the stock amp- it's supposed to be a 59 Bassman. For home playing, that's perfect for me. But for the band, where I have to go from Sultans of Swing to Rebel Yell, I need a CLEAN clean channel and a DIRTY dirty channel. The UBC module is perfect for that. Clean side modeled after Kirk Fletcher's Super Reverb, dirty side modeled after one of his old Marshalls (a Super Lead I think?)

DaphneBlue and Anacharsis like this.
  18. Anacharsis

Yeah, I love the stock tweed sound. I just figure that variety being the spice of life and all...

I already play the Hot, Hot British EL 84 Modified, and BOSS Drive Special. For the Tour, I'm getting the capsules that provide the biggest cleans and a different flavor of dirt - so the Sparkle Clean and the Ultimate Blues. The EJ and Ford capsules, based on the sound samples I have heard, are not for me. The New York Blues capsule is hard to come by, but I might consider it for a bigger Vox clean sound in the Tour.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    ruger9 likes this.
  19. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

The stock amp is fine, but the darker, low-headroom flavor turned out to be less my cup of tea than Kirk's Super Reverb.

These days, most of my tone mangling is done in my Ampero and goes into the BC's return to make it louder.

20. Anacharsis

Found a reasonably good deal on a used Ultimate Blues tone capsule. Looks like most of the capsules have been discontinued, so I was glad I got it when I did. That should do it for me. I ended up getting the amp and both tone capsules for far, far less than the amp went for itself new. Mine is serial #70, btw - confirming my suspicion that they didn't sell many of the Tours (the price was pretty astronomical).

Maybe they're about to upgrade the whole line, but honestly, I'm happy as can be with all of my Blues Cubes, and I'm probably going to sell off some other amps now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.