Roland Blues Cube Fan Club

CNILE

Tele-Meister
I had a BC 30 a few years ago, it was a terrific amp, but the elite snobs sneered at it. (Hey, say that 5 times real fast!). It couldn't hang with the pounder drummer in the rehearsal room.
Anyway, It cost me a gig, along with my trusty Squire strat. After they passed, and I was loading up, they asked what was in the other case.
A 1959 ES-225.

All original, untouched.

The up yours moment was priceless.

soulman969

Telefied
Ad Free Member
:lol: :lol: Come on, even I know the coast of Colorado is usually ice-bound this time of year...

I take your points absolutely; I was just making one of my own, which doesn't conflict. But I still reckon you can achieve the same thing with the crunch settings. Still, you know what you like to hear and who am I to question that?

One thing I will say, though, is that I tend to remove the treble bleeds from my guitars, because usually the component values were ill-chosen and overdid the effect with the volume backed off. Sucked all the guts out of the sound. In one or two guitars they've got it right, so I've left those alone. In the majority I can't be arsed to experiment with different cap/resistor values, so I just clip 'em altogether and have done with it. Sounds fine for my needs.

Well only 'til July. Then the ice sinks to the bottom for three months before it resurfaces. Just leaves a thin slush layer on top. Great for swimming then but a bit nippy too kinda like swimming in a frozen margarita don't ya' know. :lol: :D

You know me. I'll try any trick allowed at the table with that amp. You're the one who tipped me off about the jumpering of the effects loop for which I did not give proper credit here :oops: but have put to good use ever since. Then after I installed that Emi CRex I got another nice bump in volume. I don't really need the booster all that much but since it's there I figure I'll just make some use of it too. It's that older tc booster + distortion model so it's kind of a do anything pedal. Comes in handy for clean soloing too.

I actually set up my Soul Food and the Sweet Honey clone to emulate the "crunch one and two thing" with or without the booster on so now it'll do all kinds of tricks and I can access them all by foot switch without having to return to the amp to turn the "crunch" knob. Of course the next step is to simplify all that because it's too many options and that's what we usually do around here after we over complicate our signal chains right? LOLOL

I'll have to take a peek at my treble bleeds to see that I've used. There are a couple of slightly different ones as a recall. That last ones I ordered seem to be the best but I don't remember the exact values. My CRS run rampant these days especially when it comes to lyrics. :( Thank God for the internet lyric sites and wireless printers. :lol:

soulman969

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had a BC 30 a few years ago, it was a terrific amp, but the elite snobs sneered at it. (Hey, say that 5 times real fast!). It couldn't hang with the pounder drummer in the rehearsal room.
Anyway, It cost me a gig, along with my trusty Squire strat. After they passed, and I was loading up, they asked what was in the other case.
A 1959 ES-225.

All original, untouched.

The up yours moment was priceless.

Ah ha............I love it! I never will understand all of the preconceptions of the "label elite". I mean there's how they think it's gonna sound and how it actually does sound with someone knows how to play.

It has to be all about "what will other bands think" if we let a guy use a (fill in the blank) ____________ because sure as hell the audience doesn't know and doesn't care what you're playing just how you play.

I'm allergic to "too loud drummers" now. I won't play with one who can't control his volume and dynamics. If the amps need to come up to 11 in a rehearsal to be heard I'm in the wrong band.

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Ah ha............I love it! I never will understand all of the preconceptions of the "label elite". I mean there's how they think it's gonna sound and how it actually does sound with someone knows how to play.

It has to be all about "what will other bands think" if we let a guy use a (fill in the blank) ____________ because sure as hell the audience doesn't know and doesn't care what you're playing just how you play.

I'm right with you on that one. I don't need to do auditions any more, but on many occasions I make a point of turning up to gigs and jams with my Squier CV or my Ibanez Blazer and my Cube 60... Not saying I'm the world's greatest player, because I'm not, but I've been around the block enough times to know roughly what I'm doing all the same. Frequently there are owners of Les Pauls, PRS-es and other posh hardware in attendance and I confess to taking some pleasure in observing many of their facial expressions change when I start doing my thing. As the old saying goes, it ain't what you've got, it's what you can do with it...

In fact, if anything, I'm distinctly "anti-label"; for one thing I seem to have an aversion to being seen as "following the herd" and I also consider it extremely shallow to judge someone purely on the strength of what instruments they possess. Despite views to the contrary, in my opinion you can't just buy credibility.

tcaron20

TDPRI Member
New Blues Cube Stage owner here.

One night with this beauty and I am hooked. Sounds great at all volumes. Will probably buy the EJ Tone Capsule also.

Tom C

soulman969

Telefied
Ad Free Member
New Blues Cube Stage owner here.

One night with this beauty and I am hooked. Sounds great at all volumes. Will probably buy the EJ Tone Capsule also.

Tom C

Glad to hear the review is a favorable one. It'll be very interesting to see if Roland gets more across the board acceptance with this amp this time around. The fact that they're now offering 4 different versions tells me they're committed to the amp so we'll see if they're finally able to break down that "tubes only" barrier.

Half of me wants them to succeed and the other wants them to fall flat on their face again so they're closing them out for 25% of street price and another year or two. Geez, what an evil and selfish thought huh? :twisted:

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
...Or it's God's way of telling you "don't sell that damn amp"!!! ;)

I agree; I said something similar before.

Mind you, it was pointed out to me at a certain point that if someone wants to sell an item, there has to be a reason why they don't want it any more, so if you're wise you don't want it either. On the other hand, if someone wants to buy an article you own, there must be something inherently desirable about it, so you'd be better off keeping it!

schenkadere

Friend of Leo's
I don't want to sell it. I really don't have the space for it. I don't play out anymore. And, unfortunately, I could use the money. The thought of packing and shipping the amp for the amount I'll end up getting for it makes me cringe.

schenkadere

Friend of Leo's
I just sold a very gently used Reverend Eastsider T for a steal. It was listed for 2 months. I couldn't believe it. I've always had better luck.

soulman969

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I don't want to sell it. I really don't have the space for it. I don't play out anymore. And, unfortunately, I could use the money. The thought of packing and shipping the amp for the amount I'll end up getting for it makes me cringe.

I just sold a very gently used Reverend Eastsider T for a steal. It was listed for 2 months. I couldn't believe it. I've always had better luck.

I agree. It would not be inexpensive to pack and ship it which is just one of the many reasons why mine won't ever leave me. Not unless someone local wants to pay me the price of a new one to replace it in exchange for my.....ahem, vintage version. ;) Well some day it may be. LOL

It's a cycle brother and maybe right now in your neck of the woods gear just isn't moving so it takes longer to get your price. I don't think you're at all out of line. Not when others are selling for $350-$400 when you include the shipping costs. If prospective buyers are doing their research they can see that.

schenkadere

Friend of Leo's
Most are selling BC-30's for what I'm asking for the 60...and mine is in amazing condition.

Hexabuzz

Friend of Leo's
Most are selling BC-30's for what I'm asking for the 60...and mine is in amazing condition.

Plenty of buyers would be willing to pay for shipping... Assuming it were a reasonable cost, i.e. actual shipping charges plus $20-25 for packing materials and time. I don't think any buyer begrudges a reasonable shipping cost - the key word being reasonable - Nor do they expect free shipping.

Don't you think you're limiting your audience? It's not like it would be an out of pocket expense to you...

Just curious...

Just to add - Did a quick FedEx quote, using 50 pounds (Roland specs at 43) and from NY to LA, coast to coast, $69, ground rate...

glowrocks

TDPRI Member
I had a BC-30 and just never could appreciate it. It was a great amp, just didn't do it for me.

I traded it for an Epiphone Valve Sr. :)

stax

Tele-Afflicted
My BC-60 let me down last night, funnily enough in the venue where I decided enough was enough with unreliable valve amps three years ago.
Half way through the last encore in a packed club it just gave up, lights are on and virtually no volume, I did have a spare amp but the moment was gone so we called it a day.
Had a few comments of it could be a loose wire or a fuse and just as I was about to lose my cool someone came up and asked if a valve had blown which made me laugh.
Has anyone had similar problems so I can sort it out just in case it isn't a loose wire,fuse or valve ;-)

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
My BC-60 let me down last night, funnily enough in the venue where I decided enough was enough with unreliable valve amps three years ago.
Half way through the last encore in a packed club it just gave up, lights are on and virtually no volume, I did have a spare amp but the moment was gone so we called it a day.
Had a few comments of it could be a loose wire or a fuse and just as I was about to lose my cool someone came up and asked if a valve had blown which made me laugh.
Has anyone had similar problems so I can sort it out just in case it isn't a loose wire,fuse or valve ;-)

Unlikely that all three speakers went down simultaneously, so given that there was still some volume rather than none at all, if it isn't something as simple as a broken wire or a dodgy input connection I'd suspect an output (power) transistor or maybe something in the power supply. Any prior warning such as crackling or unusual distortion? Whatever it is, I hope it's fixable and I'd be happy to e-mail the Roland service notes with circuit diagrams and component lists in PDF form if I haven't sent them to you already.