Roland Blues Cube Fan Club

songofthewind

Tele-Meister
Jeez, schenkadere, you had me worried there!!

Btw, I got some suitable oxblood grille cloth from an eBay vendor called solsound, for my mighty 310. Looked just fine. The original stuff does get brittle very easily.

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I got some suitable oxblood grille cloth from an eBay vendor called solsound, for my mighty 310. Looked just fine. The original stuff does get brittle very easily.

Handy info in my situation. Thanks for the tip.

I too just received Roland's e-mail with info on the new Blues Cube models. The Artist 212 looks very interesting and at 21kg (46lb 5oz) weighs little more than the original BC-60 1x12. The so-called "custom" speakers look like Celestions to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they were relabelled G12P-80s (Seventy-80s). One very neat trick the makers seem to have pulled off is to rate the amp at 85 watts but with a power consumption quoted at only 68 watts. I make that 125% efficiency. Och, Cap'n, ye cannae change the laws of physics, so one of three possibilities applies:

1. Magic;
2. A typo somewhere;
3. Roland's telling porkies.

Mind you, if it sounds good and does the job, that's the important thing.

younkint

Tele-Afflicted
Digital, analog ...or both?

Roland has a new web page up with pictures of early Blues Cube prototypes, etc. Interestingly, this statement is made:

"In the Blues Cube, the preamp section uses a high-impedance FET input and a differential transmission method to preserve the pure guitar signal as it travels throughout the circuit. The power amp section consists of a discrete solid-state amp, driven by a high-impedance circuit to interact with the speaker characteristics, another essential part of great guitar tone. This amp-speaker interaction is fine-tuned with DSP for very precise adjustment." [My bold]

Perhaps the new Blues Cube uses both analog processing and digital processing working together?

songofthewind

Tele-Meister
^^I think this is correct. Didn't ZT put out a drive pedal that mixed analogue and DSP?
I bet Roland have really got this method SORTED.

songofthewind

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the link to the Roland page, younkint.
They are going to great lengths to show how deep their understanding of tube/valve amps actually is. They're saying that these are serious amps, not toys.
I'm beginning to think they may have a winner here..

soulman969

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Handy info in my situation. Thanks for the tip.

I too just received Roland's e-mail with info on the new Blues Cube models. The Artist 212 looks very interesting and at 21kg (46lb 5oz) weighs little more than the original BC-60 1x12. The so-called "custom" speakers look like Celestions to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they were relabelled G12P-80s (Seventy-80s). One very neat trick the makers seem to have pulled off is to rate the amp at 85 watts but with a power consumption quoted at only 68 watts. I make that 125% efficiency. Och, Cap'n, ye cannae change the laws of physics, so one of three possibilities applies:

1. Magic;
2. A typo somewhere;
3. Roland's telling porkies.

Mind you, if it sounds good and does the job, that's the important thing.

Watts on steroids lifting above their own weight no doubt. ;)

soulman969

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Roland has a new web page up with pictures of early Blues Cube prototypes, etc. Interestingly, this statement is made:

"In the Blues Cube, the preamp section uses a high-impedance FET input and a differential transmission method to preserve the pure guitar signal as it travels throughout the circuit. The power amp section consists of a discrete solid-state amp, driven by a high-impedance circuit to interact with the speaker characteristics, another essential part of great guitar tone. This amp-speaker interaction is fine-tuned with DSP for very precise adjustment." [My bold]

Perhaps the new Blues Cube uses both analog processing and digital processing working together?

So it would appear. I know I can't afford to spring for one of these new ones but my curiosity is gonna drive me over to the nearest store that has one so I can at least see how it compares to it's old man. I fear there may be some danger in doing this however. LOL

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter

Hmm, yeah... That's an interesting read and a couple of thoughts occurred to me - neither to any detriment of Roland, I hasten to add. The first was that, although they make much of the hallowed status of so-called "Tweed" tone, from the narrative and pictures it looks as though they were working more towards replicating the characteristics of a blackface Super Reverb. Maybe that was just in reference to the head-and-4x10-cabinet model, maybe not.

The other thing that came to my mind was regarding what they're saying about the DSP part of it. In solid-state amps there's a means of emulating the interaction in a valve (tube) amp between the speaker and the output transformer. I'm not 100% sure exactly how it works, but it's called current feedback, it's connected with the negative feedback circuit and it has something to do with the damping (or lack of it) of speaker-cone motion. The original Blues Cubes, like some other contemporary SS amps, featured it and it's largely responsible for the warm, full sound that it helps to engender. Perhaps what Roland's engineers have done is to use DSP in that part of the power stage in order to manage the response according to various signal parameters, to a greater extent than might be feasible using analogue technology alone. Whatever. As I said before, if it works and sounds good, it's less important precisely how it's achieved than that it is achieved.

So it would appear. I know I can't afford to spring for one of these new ones but my curiosity is gonna drive me over to the nearest store that has one so I can at least see how it compares to it's old man. I fear there may be some danger in doing this however. LOL

Take counsel from the voice of experience. Don't tell it where you live or it might follow you home. Better still, don't take your wallet with you! :D

soulman969

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Hmm, yeah... That's an interesting read and a couple of thoughts occurred to me - neither to any detriment of Roland, I hasten to add. The first was that, although they make much of the hallowed status of so-called "Tweed" tone, from the narrative and pictures it looks as though they were working more towards replicating the characteristics of a blackface Super Reverb. Maybe that was just in reference to the head-and-4x10-cabinet model, maybe not.

The other thing that came to my mind was regarding what they're saying about the DSP part of it. In solid-state amps there's a means of emulating the interaction in a valve (tube) amp between the speaker and the output transformer. I'm not 100% sure exactly how it works, but it's called current feedback, it's connected with the negative feedback circuit and it has something to do with the damping (or lack of it) of speaker-cone motion. The original Blues Cubes, like some other contemporary SS amps, featured it and it's largely responsible for the warm, full sound that it helps to engender. Perhaps what Roland's engineers have done is to use DSP in that part of the power stage in order to manage the response according to various signal parameters, to a greater extent than might be feasible using analogue technology alone. Whatever. As I said before, if it works and sounds good, it's less important precisely how it's achieved than that it is achieved.

Take counsel from the voice of experience. Don't tell it where you live or it might follow you home. Better still, don't take your wallet with you! :D

A good analysis and a perfect summation it's just too bad everyone doesn't look at it that way. I keep reading comments from those who listen to the video demos and say it sounds terrific but they won't spend that much for it when they can buy a tube amp for that much or less.

Well if it sounds that good why do they care about how it's powered? It could be hamsters on a treadmill for all I care just as long as they're kept fed and love to run around that little wheel. Geez I'd just be happy that I didn't have to spend $100 or more replacing the tubes every few years because it is SS.

Sometimes there just no logic behind those comments at all and it drives me nuts.

Oh I'll be able to resist a purchase for now Tony. I'm more worried about it being "that much better" that I'll eventually have to either choose between the two or simply make room for just one more amp I don't "NEED" but will buy anyway. LOL

Jefe

Tele-Afflicted
Look at the bright side - all of the tube snobs with their negative comments will equate to poor sales, which will force Roland to dump these amps at drastically reduced prices. I guess that's a rather cynical way of viewing a bright side - it's bad for Roland, but good for us ;-)

In reality, I hope Roland does well with this new Blues Cube.

Chunk

TDPRI Member
I'm brand new here, but I couldn't help chiming in on this thread. I was up all night reading it last night because I was going to look at a BC60/310 this morning to hopefully buy.

Long story short, I was able to get the BC60/310 for $60. It's in pretty rough shape, but the seller told me that it all works properly (I couldn't test it on the spot). I figure for $60, I'm willing to take the gamble. The ground pin on the plug is broken off (easy fix), but other than that, I'm hoping it's all functioning.

One of the issues is the grille cloth. Some have said that they've bought grille cloth on ebay. Is there a specific listing someone can point me to that will match the original pretty well.

Also, the gold caps are missing on about half the knobs. I wasn't able to get through all 40 pages of the thread, so if anyone has come across a cheaper replacement option for the knobs, let me know.

Here are some pics. They're just the ones from the classified listing because I picked it up on my way to work about 20 minutes ago. I'll take some better ones tonight once I get it home and test it out.

1338923-1430869105-516422.jpg

1338923-1430869203-526877.jpg

1338923-1430869141-486969.jpg

1338923-1430869171-769192.jpg

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I'm brand new here, but I couldn't help chiming in on this thread. I was up all night reading it last night because I was going to look at a BC60/310 this morning to hopefully buy.

Long story short, I was able to get the BC60/310 for $60. It's in pretty rough shape, but the seller told me that it all works properly (I couldn't test it on the spot). I figure for $60, I'm willing to take the gamble. The ground pin on the plug is broken off (easy fix), but other than that, I'm hoping it's all functioning.

One of the issues is the grille cloth. Some have said that they've bought grille cloth on ebay. Is there a specific listing someone can point me to that will match the original pretty well.

Also, the gold caps are missing on about half the knobs. I wasn't able to get through all 40 pages of the thread, so if anyone has come across a cheaper replacement option for the knobs, let me know.

Here are some pics. They're just the ones from the classified listing because I picked it up on my way to work about 20 minutes ago. I'll take some better ones tonight once I get it home and test it out.

Welcome to the forum! Blimey, for sixty bucks (less than £40 Sterling), that looks like a highly massive bargain! Even if you have to spend all that money on a new plug! :D

I don't know of any US source for those particular knobs at anything like a reasonable price, but gold paint's worked for some members here. Or you might be able to find an alternative pattern that'll fit - you'll need 14 of them... Grille cloth of a suitable colour and pattern is available in both the US and the UK - I think our friend soulman969 has posted about it somewhere. I could use some myself as my BC-60 1x12 has just developed a split in its own frontage.

Anyway, hope it is indeed all in full working order and Happy New Amp!

Edit: here's the link for the grille cloth: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/S-G301. As mentioned in post 752 of this thread.

Tone Chase

Tele-Holic

1338923-1430869105-516422.jpg

1338923-1430869203-526877.jpg

1338923-1430869141-486969.jpg

1338923-1430869171-769192.jpg

For $60 I would leave it as is and play the hell out of it. Just call it part of the mojo.

Chunk

TDPRI Member
For $60 I would leave it as is and play the hell out of it. Just call it part of the mojo.

That's not a bad idea at all. I obviously need to fix the power cord, but I'm not in a hurry to fix the aesthetic issues.

If I end up falling in love with it and keeping it long-term, I will probably end up fixing it up a bit. But for now, I'm just going to clean it with a wet rag and play it.

Jefe

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, don't worry about the knobs. Another one of those inserts fell out of a knob on my amp, and it didn't affect my tone at all ;-)

$60 is a steal, good find! Have fun!

songofthewind

Tele-Meister
^^^ No, no , no, he's wrong! The tone is in the caps! Isn't that what tube amp cork sniffers say?? Oh, wait..