1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

RogerC's 2012 Challenge Build Thread - COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by RogerC, Mar 13, 2012.

1. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

Roger,

Have you seen the PBS show "This Old House" episode where they build the kitchen countertops out of concrete? Unless they didn't tell the viewers, there was no way anybody would have guessed concrete was used. You may want to try and look up that episode. They may have some tips you can use for your next concrete telecaster.

You forgot to imprint the "bicycle tire marks" on the back.

that would have put it over the top.

2. vanklomk

vanklomk Tele-Meister

I left work Thursday on page 9 and couldn't stop thinking about this build all weekend. Amazing stuff! It's probably been done, but I say next year you make a telequarium with fish inside.

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

:lol: thanks, Tom. The oompa loompa union is tough to negotiate with, so I passed :p

I have seen the concrete counter tops before. I thought about doing those in my house at one point, but there was a lot of work to it. Not sure that I'll do anymore concrete teles, unless someone specifically asks for one. I definitely have a much better idea of how to do another one, though.

You're right, tire marks would've been awesome. I wish I'd done that... :D

Thanks. I'll probably pass on the telequarium. Since it was your idea, you should enter the challenge next year and make it a reality :D

4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Well, the concrete tele made its on-stage debut yesterday. I took it to band practice on wednesday night, and my worship leader was so impressed that he wanted to play it in church on Sunday morning. It sounded great through the system. One of my other guitar playing buddies wants me to build him a guitar now :D

5. nb1234

nb1234 TDPRI Member

Great build - love the spirit of doing things a different way! Congrats!!!

I definitely fall on the skeptical side of the tonewood debate (as in I seriously doubt there is dramatic tonal difference in electric guitar sound soley due to the body wood in otherwise equivalent guitars), but I have doubts that this will change any minds that are already made. Close minds tend to stay closed, but this may, hopefully, help open minds stay open.

Personally, I think it looks great and sounds great!!

6. TJGCO

TJGCO TDPRI Member

Really cool build sounds great rock on...lol

7. guitargarage

guitargarage TDPRI Member

My concrete bass

Just got referred to this thread yesterday - I tried a similar project, though I wasn't as meticulous as Roger was !! I get a little too impatient/ADHD.

Roger, thanks for posting your experiments with release agents and fillers - definitely things I'll consider when I do another one of these.

My project came about as a the result of a challenge posed by a friend as the two of us were pouring a concrete countertop .. no drinking involved!!

Some short cuts I took:
    - I resorted to my hammer drill and plumbers epoxy for the bridge mounting screws and strap buttons
    - Used a concrete file to get rid of rough spots after casting
    - Actually cast the body with the neck in place to make sure my neck pocket was properly located
    - Used an old Dan Armstrong neck, so that I had 4 HUGE bolts holding the neck in place, again making neck pocket fit not as critical
    - was not shy about using a spade bit and steel chisel to open up the control cavity a little more after casting- the concrete with vinyl additive is VERY tough!!!
    - cast in the wiring and ground wires - and then connected the pickups and everything else to the wired in "harness" (1 piece of Romex and 1 bridge ground)
    - used two pieces of melamine covered shelving for the base of the mold, so that I'd get a nice casting seam down the center - not only helpful for lining things up, but actually I liked the look - made it look MORE like concrete foundation than a guitar body!

More details on my blog but didn't want to post the link since I'm not sure on the policy here.

Next one gets some foam blocks inside it .. and maybe an aluminum neck, just for the hell of it ....

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.