1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Roger Mayer Octavia?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gridlock, Mar 8, 2021.

1. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I’m curious if anyone has any experience using one?

I’m thinking of possibly buying one and I’ve never owned a fuzz pedal before. The Octavia is kind of expensive and I would hope that it would be something that I could use on more than just one or two songs.

3DF178E2-C5B5-4A10-95EE-721415E3EE4C.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Fretting out likes this.
  2. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Do you have a particular use in mind? Do you have any pedals and might an overdrive or distortion pedal be more like what you want? What sounds are you shooting for?

Clones are so cheap these days... I'd suggest buying some Chinese knock offs to hone in on the sound you like. Pedals sound VERY different depending on the amp they are put into. Or, more directly, you don't know what it's going to sound like until you play it with your guitar(s) and amp(s). That's a mighty pricey pedal to pilot with... although I suppose you could always resell it for close to what you pay.

This video isn't Fuzz, per se, it's "overdrive", but it's the same pedals with the same settings played into three different amps. Shockingly different. Jump to 28:00 if you can't be bothered to watch the whole thing.

gridlock likes this.
  3. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

What songs do you play? Whether or not you "could use [an octave fuzz] on more than just one or two songs" has way more to do with the specific songs than the specific octave fuzz.

gridlock likes this.
  4. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have the RM Octavia as well as his Classic Fuzz and Axis Fuzz. The Octavia, to me, is more specialized and don’t see it as a fuzz that could be made to fit all situations like other OD’s or fuzzes. It also tends to work/sound best on the neck pickup, especially when you “dig in”, in my opinion/experience. The Classic (which is supposed to be a germanium Fuzz Face) and the Axis (based on what Roger made for Jimi and used on the Axis: Bold as Love album) are pedals that more usable, in my experience with them. The Octavia definitely has it’s own thing going on and love it for the Jimi thing but I rarely tend to have a consistent use for it.

I have also been thinking about looking for a fuzz that does something like an octave thing but not as extreme as the Octavia. I think the MXR La Machine does something like that but haven’t had a chance to really research it yet.

gridlock likes this.
  5. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

I built a clone years ago. It's on my pedal board. Heck of a fuzz!

gridlock likes this.
  6. gridlock

I’m working on the lead to Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s Blue on Black and I am trying to get his tome.

I have an Ibanez TS808HW, a J-Rockett Dude, an Elmo, a Wampler Black ‘65, and a Klon Clone pedal for OD’s.

7. gridlock

I’d probably use it for SRV / Clapton type songs with my Fender Guitars and Amps.

Zeppelin and ZZ Top with my Marshall’s and Les Pauls.

8. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

NO. The Octavia was groundbreaking at the time, but the octave fuzz concept was refined and improved drastically in the Ampeg Scrambler and even more in the Foxx Tone Machine.

The Scrambler is wild and fun and I love it, but the Tone Machine is basically better in almost every way. Danelectro made a version of the FTM (that I have never tried) called the French Toast that you could try. I made a DIY version years back that I lost, so I bought a "boutique" version off of reverb for cheap that does everything I need it to.

Start with the FTM.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I love the whole Octavia thing. I have a very faithful repro of both the Octavio and Octavia style pedals. I find uses for it. It definitely would not be the first fuzz I would get though. In fact many (including Jimi) use their Octavias in conjunction with a primary fuzz like a Fuzz Face. We do several Hendrix tunes and I get to use my Lotus Octah on two of them. I also use it on unison lines with other instruments. Octavias are their own sound. They are radically glitchy and chaotic sounding. One minute they sound beautifully clear with a distinct octave, the next they sound like a ring modulator where strange overtones become the fundamental. I personally love them for this.

I am considering a KingTone Octaland mini because it is both a great fuzz and a great octave Fuzz. Will still have a good Fuzz Face as a primary. Its not the glitchy Octavia thing tho.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    gridlock likes this.
  10. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Oh, that's different then! I thought you might be just cruising for a first fuzz/overdrive/distortion pedal.

Fulltone Octafuzz is supposed to be a copy of a copy of the Tycobrahe commerical version of Mayer's early pedal, but I've never used one. Then again Mayer was known for continually revising things so which one is it? I dunno. I don't think anyone knows quite what was inside any of Jimi's pedals, even though people will chant the names of them religiously.

Here's a good read if you're bored: https://en.customboards.fi/blogs/articles/a-detailed-look-at-jimi-hendrix-pedals-and-signal-chain

Huh... you don't usually see "boutique", "off Reverb", and "cheap" in the same sentence.

gridlock likes this.
  11. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

You make an excellent point - the Octavia of today is a very different circuit than what he built for Hendrix.

Also a good point. I put "boutique" in quotes in an attempt to indicate it was some bedroom builder rather than a big name company. He had gut pics and I could see it was well done, and so far it's worked great.

NoTeleBob and gridlock like this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

gridlock likes this.
  13. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I've never even heard of it, but site says it is inspired by a "furry 70s predecessor", which means it's based on the FTM. Which probly means I'd like it!

gridlock and MilwMark like this.
  14. allesz

allesz Tele-Holic

I love the sound of analog octave up, noisy and glitchy overtones with chords, sweet and synth like single Lines.

But maybe not the best as your only dirt pedal.

You can also give a listen to the green ringer or a clone. They sound similar to me.

gridlock likes this.
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The new Teisco pedals are generally under the radar and generally great, I think. If I liked the lamp button style footswitch (instead of my beloved Boss footswitch), I'd have several.

drmordo and gridlock like this.
  16. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

The RM is a big and expensive pedal just for an occasional use. The Behringer Super Fuzz SF-300 does the octaver/slightly ring mod sort of sound on certain settings and doesn’t’ cost a bomb.

gridlock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.