1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rocksmith for Xbox - real guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GuruAtma, Sep 23, 2012.

1. GuruAtma

GuruAtma TDPRI Member

I thought I'd post my thoughts on this new video game. If you've played or heard of Guitar Hero, you know it uses toy guitars with buttons instead of strings or frets.

Rocksmith is a new game where you use your own real electric guitar. You plug in with a special quarter inch-usb cable to the xbox.

It can tell what string/fret you're playing, whether you're doing a bend, hammer on, slide, double-stop, etc.

I was skeptical at first---maybe it would be good for a complete beginner, but not for someone who has experience. I was wrong. It is pretty fun. In just a couple days I've learned new songs that probably would have taken me longer to do with just a tab sheet and an ipod.

It's similar to the other games, where the screen looks like a guitar neck and the notes come scrolling down the strings. Sort of like tab coming at you head-on. It's nice because it starts off very easy--maybe just play the fist note of each measure, but if you're getting the notes right, it quickly ramps up the difficulty to be closer to the real song.

There are games and excercises to play too--all help your playing.

It's not perfect--if you plug into an HDTV, there is some audio lag. This is corrected by running the audio from the xbox directly to external speakers ($5 of radio shack cables).

I kind of miss being able to see the whole song written out before I start to play--it helps you know which parts get repeated and when.

I wouldn't say this is better than any other way of learning/improving guitar, but it's just different. It's really nice to have the "band" play for you right away as you're learning the song. Even if you're only hitting a few notes of the riff, it still feels like you're rocking.

For the price of a few sets of strings, I'd say this is a pretty fun tool for your guitar playing.

here's one of many youtube videos that show it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLvZ3eFcNQ

2. homerzeppelin

homerzeppelin Tele-Afflicted

It is a lot of fun (and I detest Guitar Hero).

They now have a bass expansion. I am playing the bass for the 1st time, and it is a lot of fun learning it through their system!

3. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Heh, welcome to the club. I've been posting here periodically about the game :) Check the Bass forum for a recent description.

Carl

4. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

I got this for the PS3 a while back but didnt even open the box yet.

Your post gives me some inspiration to give it a hook. Thanks.

(edited for spelling mistakes)

5. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

I play my rocksmith all the time

6. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm game.

7. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

I believe that any tool that can help you is positive. I like it, unfortunately I can't take advantage of it like I should. Easier to just pick up a guitar and when I run xbox there are people to be waxed and touchdowns to be scored. :D

M

8. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Click on the link in my sig. I got lots of Rocksmith videos on my channel.

9. Lonewolfcub

Lonewolfcub TDPRI Member

Awesome.. great stuff rcole! I think Rush DLC is coming soon.

10. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Yes it is. It will be a 5 or 6 pack.

11. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Only down side is that the downloadable songs for it are rather expensive imo.

12. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Its a cool idea, I didn't get it because most of the songs on it aren't my cup of tea. If they did different editions with different styles of music, I.would.probably pick one up.

Said the guy who just dropped sixty bucks on Resident Evil 6.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.