Rocket stoves

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RottenTheCat, Dec 6, 2019.

1. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I've been having a blast cooking on a really crude rocket stove, made of odd shapes of concrete block. Its not very efficient (as rocket stoves go) but I was able to cook up 3 lbs of smoked sausage in just a few minutes. Another time, I cooked up 32 hot dogs and a dozen bratwurst on the rocket stove. Fuel for the 3 lbs of sausage was two skinny palm fronds, broken into 8 inch pieces. Rocket stoves need almost no fuel for the heat produced, being really efficient.

That got my interest going, so I decided to see what was out there as a better stove.

One thing for certain, I wanted a stainless steel stove. The heat, the ash... leaving it out to cool, etc... it just plays hell with plain ol carbon steel. You need a really thick wall steel, just to last a while.

So without further ado, some stoves I've tried.

On Amazon, there is a "bullet proof" (their advertising slogan) stainless stove. They call it the .22 Adventurer stove. Not really the best of stoves. First one came missing some parts. Second one was complete, but the parts are _very_ sharp thin sheet-metal. The weight is about 3lbs or so. I wasn't too impressed with the build quality, as its welded and riveted together. The rivets are the pivot points for the various folding parts, which fold for storage. Very very tough to move, and, being a guitar player, I was not appreciative of the cuts I got on my hands just trying to unfold the parts without leather gloves on. Even the gloves were cut. Be careful, maybe take some sandpaper and go over the edges to smooth 'em out a bit. The stove is rather small, but works ok. The stove comes with a "wood pellet" or mini briquette rack, which can be handy. There's an option for a hopper to hold wood pellets. It gets _very_ hot, and herein is its downfall. The sheet metal warps badly with the heat, making things uneven and unstable. This is not my favorite stove, and it got passed along "gratis" to a friend, rather quickly too.

On Amazon there is also a "Marsh Kettles" flat stove. This stove is the cats patootie! About 1/8 inch stainless construction, no welds, no rivets. Its totally slot/tab assembly, with gravity holding it all together. Its precise, and sturdy. This is my all round favorite, because you can leave it assembled outside, or knock it down (no tools for assembly or disassembly) and carry it in its provided burlap sack. A little bigger than the 22 Adventurer, this stove will heat 3 quarts of water to a boil in 15 minutes or less, and has a nice ash release door. It also comes with an "alignment" tool, which is not required, but does make assembly easier by keeping the plates all vertical as they sit on one of the side pieces, so you can attach the opposite side easily. Again, its not a requirement, and anyone with even a little manual dexterity can do it without the tool. They also make a carbon steel version, which is about five bucks less - so watch the description and splurge, treat yourself to the stainless steel.

And finally, there's the Grover heavy duty rocket stove, also available in carbon or stainless. The first two stoves were about $80 each, but the Grover is about $235 including shipping for this nearly 20 lb stove. I think the stove itself weighs 17lbs, plus the box etc etc to ship. Massive, large, and overbuilt to the max. Will hold a 2-1/2 gallon boil pot easily, and bring it to a boil. Also works ok as a smaller heat source. I like the Grover, but... tend to use the Marsh Kettles stove more, as it takes less fuel, heats faster and is good for some eggs and bacon, or coffee in the AM. I'm hungry, I don't wanna futz with a big stove, gimme food quick... I like the smaller stove. The Grover is good for making steaks or chicken on a griddle or big open pan. I've got a 16" cast iron frypan... and I can cook just about anything in it quickly on the Grover, if I care to go though the trouble (rarely).

I'm keeping the Marsh Kettles and Grover stoves, both. They each have a good use, they're just different, but also really well made items. The .22 Adventurer, I don't miss at all. And, you can make a wood pellet rack from beer can if you like. It won't last, but that's a good excuse to make another by emptying a beer can! :)

Fretting out and FLHT like this.
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

The major letdown in this otherwise interesting thread is that there are no photos of food or fire. I want to see fire and bacon.

It’s not too late to post retroactive photos of fire and bacon.

BobbyZ, RoarDog, Georox and 2 others like this.
  3. mexicanyella

Found this; no bacon but there is a brief shot of some baked beans simmering.

That stove is pretty cool!

Fretting out likes this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Can you just use a charcoal chimney with a grate on top? I'm asking, I really don't know, but it looks similar to that photo above.

6. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Jeeze... when I'm cookin' my hands are all smeary with food stuff and all. Maybe I'll get a pic of the stoves tho

7. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

That's the Marsh Kettles stove. The bigger one is only made in carbon steel tho

8. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I think this is better than my sorry, old butt could do any day....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    BobbyZ, DrPepper and SuprHtr like this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

She seems nice :)

mexicanyella and stevemc like this.
  10. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Thats what got me into cookin' with a rocket stove to start with!

stevemc and blowtorch like this.
  11. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

good videos.there was a stove?

12. mexicanyella

When I was falling down the chainsaw rabbit hole I mean doing online chainsaw research several years ago, I came across a number of non-stove-related videos by Exoman and Banshee “Farmgirl” Moon. Ol Farmgirl using a chainsaw in a bikini seemed a little forced, but hey, if the making of the videos is consensual...

13. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

That old chick is cringy.

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't see a stove

15. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Cat’s patootie?

16. 985plowboy

In my opinion. But then again I don't eat at Hooters for the same reason.
    No offense to anyone who disagrees.

17. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Stolen from Col. Sherman T. Potter

18. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

How old are you?

19. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

What stove?

20. 985plowboy

I turned 51 last summer.
    I know I'm old too.
    I shouldn't have mentioned age.
    The cringe factor comes in for me because I think she feels if she isn't scantily clad no one will pay attention to the video.

Like either she hasn't had enough attention, or maybe she used to get a lot and is trying to keep it however she can.

I understand sex sells and I'm ok with it.

Rock on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.