Rockdogs Build Challenge Discussion (not the build)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TDPRI, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

Oh SNAP!!

A completely awesome build Rockdog and I highly doubt you are hangin your head because of the dq.

Keep kickin ass! I bet you could get at least 175 for that guitar :lol:

Peace.

2. elf2000

elf2000 TDPRI Member

I already chose rockdog for whom I would vote...
    All right, I will share our Russian experience. At the end of last year we discussed rules of the forthcoming festival. There was a vote and so on. To consensus didn't come. As a result the organizer of a festival made the rules and approved them. Rules on that also I corrected to follow.

3. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

What a bummer! If I was participating in the challenge this year I would be solidary and withdraw from the competition..

[EDIT:] Anyway I understand the decision of the mods, if you start to bend the rules you'd bee knee deep into a pool of mud..

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Paul, Phil, and John- you guys did a great job moderating this year. I'm one of the guys who views rules as an essential part of life. They bring order and structure to society, so I don't see anything wrong with your decision. Does it suck to have to make that call? Absolutely, but it's pretty clear, so it had to be done.

For those of you who are giving the mods grief about the decision, it's not like they arbitrarily decided to dq someone for fun. They were put in the position to have to make this decision because Rockdog didn't adhere to the rules. It's that simple. The responsibility lies with her, not the mods. If you feel that she's been slighted, then pool your money and buy her a $175 gift card, then she's not lost out on anything.

Rockdog, you're an incredible talent, and I sincerely hope you stick around. I know we're all dying to see more from you. As you can see, you were clearly a favorite because of your designs and craftsmanship.

5. ItZaLLGooD

ItZaLLGooD Tele-Holic

You said it. Still I wish there was a little wiggle room. This build has my vote anyways.

6. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

I have to agree with what Roger said above , still quite a shame the last minute D-Q , I guess there's another thing to think about for next year , to keep something like this from happening again .

Rockdog , great build and a beautiful guitar , you have got talent .

7. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

But you chose not to compete because of the same rules that DQ this build. How many other builders sat out because of the rules? How many did we lose along the way for a simple rules violation like not posting an update? It would be a travesty if the rules don't apply if you do an amazing job of breaking them.

Yeah, it sucks. But it is right.

Rockdog had my vote hands down. I will not punish the other builders who pored their heart into their own builds by not voting for my favorite build that successfully completed this challenge.

8. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Rockdog, I sure hope you stick around here and continue to document your amazing builds. As you can see we're all blown away by your talent.

9. juanjosebh

juanjosebh Tele-Meister

Well this is a bummer, rockdog, I hope this doesn't defer you from being a part of the forum. I believe we can all Benefit and enjoy from your knowledge and builds.

10. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

say it ain't so - this has been my favorite for a while

for next year's challenge I support, as many have suggested, to have a category with more artistic freedom

11. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

Well ... this development blows huge chunks! Most definitely one of the best of this years build and on my short list for a winner.

Rockdog .. keep up the good work! [​IMG]

12. tangelolemon

tangelolemon Tele-Meister

This was one of my favorites as well, and was likely to get my vote.

However, as much as it sucks, the decision by the mods is ultimately the correct one, IMO. A rule is a rule... they weren't "guidelines" or "suggestions." Probably just a miscommunication/misunderstanding, but those are the breaks, sometimes.

glad I got to watch the build go down, though, and owning that guitar is way cooler than a $175 gift card, anyway.

13. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

+1. Please stick around! We want to see more of your work.

14. rockdog.

rockdog. Tele-Meister

Oh well, this hits me hard now...

I had a hell of a time here the last 2 months, and I would like to thank you all for your kind words.

I wish all the other participants much luck, it was a pleasure to follow all your threads, you've built some amazing guitars guys.

Best regards
    rockdog

15. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Rock Dog,

It probably doesn't make it any easier, but my dad always used to tell me that if you pour your heart and soul into something, how you finish is irrelevant. Your accomplishment is a reward unto itself.

You built a beautiful guitar. You obviously have an artist's eye for proportion, balance, and flow, and I personally can't imagine your guitar any other way. It is truly a work of art.

That said, I certainly hope there is more room for freedom in next year's challenge, and that you come up with something equally stunning.

16. Bob.M

Bob.M TDPRI Member

I'll add my voice to those who have been amazed and inspired by this build. Do stick around, please. And with all due respect to the Mods, I'm thinkin' a write in vote... ;)

17. crashdavis

crashdavis Tele-Meister

This is an amazing guitar. The execution of all the details shows a high degree of skill and a lot of hard work. I must have showed that headstock shot to a half a dozen people...just floored by how perfect it all looked.

When I couldn't get my video posted and tried every way I could think of, I was pretty sure I was going to be DQd. My goal for this was not to win. I love winning. I am as competitive as they get. But I knew that I had finished, which was my goal, and I had a new guitar to enjoy that I am very proud of. So ultimately, I was ok with whatever happened.

So Rockdog, you finished, you had a good time, and you have an amazing instrument. I will continue to work at this craft to achieve your level of skill. Phenomenal work.

18. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Good Morning All,

I've thought about this issue this morning. I've re-read Rule #2 several times and I think I see where the problem may have arisen from. The rule is written as follows:

2. The body must be based on a basic Telecaster shape -- everything else about the guitar can be different than a Telecaster, but the body outline must be a Telecaster outline. However, you may use any Telecaster body shape that has been produced by Fender at any time, including the Telecaster Bass body outline.

To me, let alone someone who speaks english as a second or third language, this rule is confusing. To say the body shape must be "based" on a basic Telecaster shape implies to me I may take liberties with it. In the second sentence, the word "may" is used. This is soft language and again implies the participant has a choice.

For the sake of clarity, I propose the following:

2. The body outline must follow the classic Telecaster shape in curve and proportion. Everything else about the guitar can be different than a Telecaster, but the body outline must be a classic Telecaster outline. Any variation from the classic Telecaster body shape must be based on a Telecaster variant produced by Fender at some time. An approved variant is the Telecaster Bass body outline. Photo documentation to use any other variation must be submitted and approved by the Admin prior to use via PM.

I believe this reads a little clearer and may help in the future.

Best Regards to All,
    Rob

19. u-mix

u-mix TDPRI Member

rockdog. Thanks for huge pleasure delivered by your work! You got the mass of admirers of your talent in Russia.
    You the best!

20. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

It think this is an excellent point, Rob. Reading the wording of the rule again, it does seem ambiguous. It says "based", that to me means it can be tweaked but not beyond being recognisable as a Telecaster. That's exactly what Rockdog did, in my opinion anyway.

However, I did understand that the body had to be the classic Tele shape. Perhaps this understanding came from reading the rule clarification thread posted before the challenge began, maybe Rockdog didn't read this thread or something was lost in translation. It is a shame but we have to accept the moderators decision.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.