Rockabilly Style slapback echo-delay?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by backalleyblues, May 9, 2021.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good evening everyone!

Well, I finished off my wife's CD this week, goes to the CD plant tomorrow, and as a reward, I get to buy something in thanks for all my hard work (my wife is a great singer, good player, but knows nothing about recording-guess that's why she keeps me around!). After looking at all the studio toys we have, and all the guitars we have (between us nearly 30 now!) I decided it's time to get another delay pedal, specifically for rockabilly style slapback.

I have a SD Vapor Trails analog delay that I absolutely love, and currently I'm reaching down to twist knobs for the several songs that we have in our band repertoire, then twisting them back for the songs that need a longer delay-needless to say, this is starting to get old for me.

So with that said, I'm aiming to keep the budget around $100, I definitely want analog/tape tones, max delay time somewhere below 300ms, and a fairly small footprint-I'm not one of those guys that has a 36" wide pedalboard! Minis would probably work alright in this instance...

So what say ye, the hive mind of the TDPRI?

Thanks in advance,
    Franc Robert

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

A little above your budget, but the MXR Carbon Copy does slapback in spades.

Also, Rocktron makes a digital delay called the Short Timer—great for slapback, but it has a huge housing. They can be found cheap...

3. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

I'll second on the Carbon Copy. Great pedal

David Menke, Fiesta Red and Boreas like this.
  4. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

There’s a used Aqua Puss near me for $100.
    Tempting

Jack Clayton likes this.
  5. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Flashback Mini maybe? I haven't used one, but I've had its older big brother on my board forever, and the TC Spark Mini. Both seem to be practically physically indestructible.

ballynally2, HarpnChris and Old Plank like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I still like the Boss DM2 best.
    They’re a little out of your price range, but the new Waza-craft DM2’s occasionally appear on CL for $100ish.
    Good luck!

Maguchi, Mike M, Chicago Matt and 4 others like this.
  7. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

For rockabilly slapback delay, just get the cheapest one. It really doesn't matter. The Dan Electro Dan-Echo works just fine. You can spend more, but I guarantee you won't know the difference and neither will anyone else.

8. philbeck

philbeck TDPRI Member

9. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I had a Rocktron Short timer and is really good. I sold it because I wasn't into rockabilly anymore and I miss it.

Nevertheless I went into rockabilly again and use now a clone of the Deep Blue delay that a friend built for me and works fine too

BUT the short timer is just better

Fiesta Red likes this.
  10. Gevalt

Gevalt Tele-Meister

Maybe a used MXR CC for $100 if you look around?
    I had a SD VT but it was a little bright for me, because my amp and guitars are bright already. I get the oldies slapback in all shades with the CC. Find a mini clone on ebay..? There's analog delays by Donner, Joyo, etc, haven't tried 'em.
    If you're not using digital delay, then you must know what you like. Very different beast from analog

drlucky likes this.
  11. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly what i was thinking. I use a behringer, and it works for slap back.

12. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a Joyo digital delay on my board that stays set up for rockabilly style delay. I have a TC Electronics I use for longer deal/echo. The Joyo's are pretty inexpensive pedals and do the job. Had mine for quite a while and had no problems. Sturdy metal casing etc..

Fiesta Red likes this.
  13. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I really like the MXR Carbon Copy, not just for slap back.

I got one used but I don't remember what I paid for it. I don't think it was over $100.

detour and Fiesta Red like this.
  14. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Way back when I got a DanEcho, I A/B'ed it and a bunch of other echo/delays, with my Echoplex tape unit, and to my ears the DanEcho came closest to the slapback tape, darn close too. But not a small footprint. The Flashbacks also have good slapback amid a bunch of presets you can download from an app, and the Flashback II mini is small-sized.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

donnyrocker and Sean Spears like this.
  16. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I've been playing rockabilly gigs for years with that old slapping echo sound. I used a Boss analogue delay through the '80s, and had an old Boss BE5 multi FX which I used right into the 2000s for delay. Since then it has been cheapo delay pedals bought off Ebay. People seem to dig that "old authentic old rockabilly sound" when I play, so obviously not much point in spending big money on a boutique delay. :)

17. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Not a fan of real analog (bucket brigade type) delays - with those the repeats are too muddy; real Sun Studio style slapback was done with tape machines, and have a relatively bright first repeat. I'd rather use a digital delay for rockabilly slapback, before I'd use an analog one...

That said, most delays will work for that tone (1-2 repeats, 100-140 ms delay time). If you want something small, those Hotone cube- shaped ones are nice, they have a tape-style one.

Personally, I use a Strymon Deco - way above the price range you're looking for, but for me it was totally worth it - I play rockabilly, honky-tonk country, Western swing, and the likes, and it's the only pedal I need (except for a tuner, and a volume pedal for steel guitar). The Deco NAILS that Sun Studio tape deck slapback tone (and I have recorded at a 50s style studio, with a big old Ampex tape machine used for echo purposes). And the "saturation" side of the Deco is perfect for a bit of tweed-style grit.
    As I said - it's a pricey pedal, but economical in the long range, because it completely ended my pedal GAS, haven't bought any other effects ever since I got it...

Maguchi, joebloggs13, getbent and 4 others like this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Nocturne Mystery Brain is THE rockabilly slapback. But any of them will do the job

TheWiredTurtle, Bob M and El Marin like this.
  19. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Any delay does slapback. If you want the crisp and clean Sun style, go digital. If you want a Neo-Rockabilly Setzer style, go analog. You already have the Seymour Duncan pedal and that's all you need for slap.

20. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

I agree. Few pedals do it better than the Carbon Copy. Another option, much as I am loathed to say it is the Boss delays...although you have to find the one that is right for you.

Maguchi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.