1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rock Slide? Anyone use one? (and other slide questions)

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by gregulator450, Nov 3, 2020.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey guys and ladies (I know we have a few here), any of you all use a Rock Slide? If so, what model do you use, why do you like it, and what is your slide guitar setup? Thanks in advance!

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

As far as my slide guitar setup, I keep all of my guitars set up the same—low action, light strings (9’s or 10’s). That way I can play slide on ANY guitar, and make it work.

I have not used a Rock Slide; I have tried many types, and one of my favorites has been a Dunlop thick walled Pyrex slide.

However, I mostly use a T-Bird Jones Socket Slide.

04F29A7F-53CE-4F22-BC63-60D1713AA3A5.jpeg D66E67BE-90C2-4821-A0CF-05A1556AE417.jpeg 712207CD-8007-4A69-827C-7377701E1E35.jpeg FB4DA48A-444A-4529-B0EC-8A527BE34862.jpeg

gregulator450 likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know what the Rock Slide is,

I use a glass Dunlop 212 slide ( about 2" long and relatively thick/dense glass)
    I put it on my pinky, so I can fret a bit with other fingers.

Though I will play in open tunings at home for kicks ( E., D, A, G), I only play slide in Standard tuning at gigs ( on my electrics, all 10-46, or Martin w/Light gauge strings) I only play a few slide songs at a gig ( usually 12 bar, or Country/folk style blues)

I do practice this at home- I know where to go on the fretboard ( since it's all Standard tuning anyhow), so it's mostly on getting good intonation/precision over the frets, and a clear tone.

I'd be lying if I said I'm NOT trying to play a bit like Duane Allman ( those middle 3 strings across any fret)

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

When I got my first glass "knuckle length" rock slide, it transformed my slide technique and never looked back. I now have a brass Rock Slide too that continues my slide journey. TBH, I feel like I wasted years with the cheap Dunlops and deep sockets. What an unnecessary struggle.

5. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Seeing the design of the rock slide, with the knuckle groove and the tapered inside, makes me think that it will remove some of what I struggle with playing slide. Getting a good fit, for one, will help. I am not looking for a piece of equipment to suddenly turn me into a Ry Cooder, but it makes sense to get the best working tool for the job and the Rock Slide sounds like it might be that tool...

Obsessed and BFcaster like this.
  6. arecibo

arecibo TDPRI Member

I have an Ariel Posen signature Rock Slide. I like that it fits on my pinkie and is a bit longer than the other round tip Rock Slides. However, I still have problem that this length "just" allows me to play all six strings at the same time. Its also a bit thin in the walls, so the sustain on acoustics is only ok. Lately, I've been playing with a deep socket and although it is extremely heavy, I like the sustain and tone (plus it was only 5 dollars).

On my main acoustic set up for slide, I play in mostly open D and have gone to a heavy gauge string set (14-59). I've also put a shim made from a credit card under the nut. It works pretty well, although I'm concerned the bridge will lift up some day. Next time I'll go to a resophonic string set, as the high string can still use a little more tension and hopefully it will also balance out the overall tension.

7. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Slide choice is such an individual thing. I have a Rock Slide, but I find it too lightweight, and the various notches and cutouts just irritate me. I like a heavier slide: either brass, stainless steel from
    https://bensbarsandslides.weebly.com/# (just as good as DaddySlide and half the cost)

or for glass there's nothing better than lead crystal from
    https://www.diamondbottlenecks.com

But you need to experiment - most slides are cheap enough and I don't know a slide player without a collection of failures.

20201013_100219.jpg

Same with set up. I play mostly open D (preferably tuned down a semitone to C#) and I've settled on heavy strings (not below 13s on electric and 15s on acoustic resonator), a medium action and the nut cut and bridge saddles adjusted to flatten out the radius completely. I'm lucky to have my avatar Tele permanently set up for slide and a decent resonator.

But each to his own and you might like a lighter slide and a more standard set up.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  8. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

9. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

I picked up a glass and a brass Rockslide for my ring finger about a month ago. Like them so far, but plan on dedicating more time on them during the cold winter shut in, on the acoustic guitar.
    Yeah, I've struggled with slide, using your basic Dunlop. Thin glass, thick glass and chrome. Prefer the beefiness of the thick glass, but metal has its charm too. However, I always felt like my finger had no control dancing around in there. The Rockslide helps but time will tell as I can work on it more.

10. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

I use either a Dunlop 210 or a brass slide on my pinky. I have tried Mudslide and a Moonshine slide, but not a Rockslide. I find that a relatively thin, light weight slide is easier to control and dampen.

11. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I don’t often play slide, but when I do, I use Rock Slides. Sized for my pinkie, and I have a couple of Brass, Chrome Plated and Ball Tip slides.

12. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Use them on my Jeep.

13. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have two rock slides, and they're...OK.

I prefer a thicker walled slide.

My action is about the same for open tuned slide, but I use a 12 - 54 D'Addario set with a wound G.

I can, and do play standard tuned slide on my "regular" guitars as well. 10 or 11 set on those.

14. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I use a Shubb slide for playing lap steel. I don't play slide guitar anymore, it's more fun to use digital whammy effects with standard tuning.

15. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

I put a carbon fiber fork on a bike a couple of weeks ago and tried out the cut off end of the steerer tube, it actually sounds pretty good! You have to paint the cut end or the carbon fibers will give you the itches. Otherwise, I have a little medicine bottle that fits over my finger. Shubb steel for lap and dobro.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.