1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rock/Roll HOF for 2016 nominees

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jonzer, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

bump.

2. Frank'n'censed

Yes, Los Lobos & the JB's are simple pop bands...interesting assessment?

Anytime you invite the general populace to vote on something "artistic", you're inviting a questionable gumbo of popular opinion . . . not much credibility in terms of educated ears. I guess that's rock and roll, for you?

3. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

I found this wonderfully snarky quote from Mike Nesmith (The Monkees) on the Wiki page for the RRHOF. It goes where others fear to tread...

In a Facebook post, fellow Monkee Michael Nesmith stated that he does not know if The Monkees belong in the Hall of Fame because he can only see the impact of The Monkees from the inside, and further stated: "I can see the HOF (Hall of Fame) is a private enterprise. It seems to operate as a business, and the inductees are there by some action of the owners of the Enterprise. The inductees appear to be chosen at the owner's pleasure. This seems proper to me. It is their business in any case. It does not seem to me that the HOF carries a public mandate, nor should it be compelled to conform to one."​

So ... suck on THAT :lol:

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Succinct and correct. It's their deal not mine or yours...it's a business disguised as popular opinion.

5. Casterblaster

Casterblaster Tele-Meister

JR said it best...

Attached Files:

6. strummer tele

strummer tele Banned

Para bailar la bamba
    Para bailar la bamba...

Bamba-bamba
    Bamba-bamba
    Bamba-bamba
    Bam

So you think that's profound artistry. :lol:
    I say it is simple pop.

As for James Brown's backup band...uh, they are a back up band. Go to any Guitar Center right now and you can pick up six or seven guys fiddling on guitars who are good enough to be in a back up band. I guess you feel they should be put in a hall of fame. Good grief.

7. Frank'n'censed

Sounds like you really know these artists...I'm afraid for you!

8. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

OUCH!

Picking on a song they didn't even write but just recorded for a movie (although they played it pretty darn well) and ignoring the whole unique catalog of combined mex and tex and blues and pop and rock is ... um, not so good.

And as for James Brown's backup band... they were a pretty darn good band, even if they had a frontman past his prime. I don't think they're the band to go in the HoF (The James Brown Orchestra should get that nod) but you can't pick them up at GC.

9. strummer tele

strummer tele Banned

I know Los Lobos is pretty bad. My older brother is a HUGE fan and I would always have to hear their records in the house. Absolute worthless music. If it weren't for a cover of an old bad fifties song, those guys would be working the bar scene as the backup band in a James Brown cover band.

As for the actual James Brown backup band, let me ask you: you think anyone on Earth paid their money to go to a James Brown show to see the backup band or James Brown?

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

You, sir, are talkin' outcha bee-hind.

[​IMG]

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, I tell what I'd LIKE to see. I'd like to see the members of NWA be James Brown's back up band...

12. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Janet Jackson ?? Lol the kinks need to get in

13. Frank'n'censed

+1?

They must be waiting for a Waterloo Sunset...

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Music is subjective and it's hard to nail down what is truly worthy.

Troll-y business ? That's comically easy to spot...:lol:

15. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like what Nesmith wrote about about the HOF, but look at another perspective.

While it is a private business, they're stealing from us. They're taking our childhood, memories and love and billing it as if it has a mandate. As if they're representative of culture and music. As if they're the authority.
    They do not represent any of us while pretending they do, and given credibility and important by the media.

What would make the HOF more respectable? It's impossible but: Say it was owned by music labels, instrument manufacturers, MTV and radio stations. Throw in some big name influential promoters. They had a board voted on by the fans. The board selects the nominees, along with a fan vote.

The HOF would have to be comprised of what represents you and I and every single music fan who is or was a fan of what they consider rock and roll (there's another debate).

16. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Somehow, the word "respectable" wound up in the same paragraph as "music labels", "MTV", and "promoters".

Please review your work before submitting.

17. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

YES should have been inducted years ago!!! The powers that be don't seem to fancy progressive rock bands. Should they get in , it will be bitter sweet with the passing of Chris Squire.

18. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe one of these days.

19. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Tele-Holic

Out of the list, I'd like
    Yes
    Cheap Trick
    The Cars
    Los Lobos
    N. W. A.

20. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

The Cars should go for sure.Anyone who thinks they are a simple pop band does not know their music.Those first 4 albums were full of great rock songs,great songwriting ,and hooky guitars.They were also pioneers of meshing rock and new wave together.
    Cheap trick also has my vote.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.