If you had to choose your preference:

• I'm Rock and Roll

Votes: 144 80.9%
  • I'm Country and Western

Votes: 34 19.1%

• Total voters

hellopike

Tele-Afflicted
In today's world you can't tell... Chris Stapleton is Rock blyes with a cowboy hat...

I hear his song “midnight train to Memphis” on the local rock station at least once a day, and I have to turn it off every time because I can’t get into it.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Neither of those are rock to me. I’d consider both of those country. It’s the way the singers are singing. It’s a quality you only get in country music, and I can’t stand it. Country, to me, is as unlistenable to my ears as hip-hop music. I’m not saying it’s bad, I just do not like it. It has not appeal to me. I’m rock and roll all the way. Be it classic, modern, progressive, punk or heavy metal even.

I like blues and even southern rock which I realize is close to country in a lot of ways, but there is a quality that differentiates them from
Country that I can put into word exactly. It’s just something I know when I hear it.

I don't think you can like rock and roll and not like any country. I think some fans of contemporary rock call it "rock and roll", like how some people say "soda" and some people say "pop".
But if you like Maybelline you like at least a little country. If you like Maybe Baby, you like at least a little country. If you like any 50s Sun records, you like a little country. Because all those essential examples of Rock And Roll are more than a little country.

DaphneBlue

Tele-Holic
I'm going to be brutally frank.

C&W is a uniquely American genre (more so than jazz or blues), that is mired in schmaltz, is stagnant, and doesn't travel well. It does nothing for me. Rock 'n' roll on the other hand has had an international reach that has influenced popular music for the last 60 or so years.

Sorry if that offends.
Yeah say it to the Rolling Stones and to the Beatles. Keith and George never used a touch of country in their lead lines. COME ON!

I can't even tell how many examples come up. Let me give you an easy one: Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
If this is "uniquely American" and "stagnant", I'll be really happy to hear your explanation.

JeffBlue

Friend of Leo's
ROCK AND ROLL! But that being said, there are some beautiful notes being produced on a tele for country music and Brad Paisley is no slouch.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I didn’t vote, for either.
At their best (which is utterly subjective) both styles are simple, honest, and heartfelt.
Conversely, at their worst (WIUS, see^), both styles are simplistic, meaningless drek whose sole purpose it to
profit the, uh, artist(s).
That’s why I love songs.
They are (usually) succint, wonderfully manipulative narratives of the mindset of the writer.
Songs are open to interpretation both by the performer, and the listener.
They are also wonderfully intangible.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Is there a Gypsy Smooth Jazz? Or is that Smooth Gypsy Jazz? Picture Django G, or is that Kenny Reinhardt?
Maybe Henri Crolla, but "smooth" doesn't cut it as a descriptor. Crolla is on the genteel side, as is Francis-Alfred Moerman. Excellent music, but not amphetamine.

And I'll never choose between rocknroll and country. They're both more similar than different.

Not much has changed in popular music since the 19th century anyway. Harmonically, it's all the same. Rock is incredibly conservative musically.

;-P

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm going to be brutally frank.

C&W is a uniquely American genre (more so than jazz or blues), that is mired in schmaltz, is stagnant, and doesn't travel well. It does nothing for me. Rock 'n' roll on the other hand has had an international reach that has influenced popular music for the last 60 or so years.

Sorry if that offends.
It's just an opinion, not offensive. It's a weird and deeply wrong opinion though for several reasons, but whatevs. I mean, is country more stagnant or schmaltzy (or more uniquely American, if that's a criticism) than the blues, in 2018? You gotta be kidding me.

Some Aussie C&W:

OP, I voted rock and roll but just by a nose. This forum is only kinda-sorta about the Telecaster guitar, as I see it, and people here seem pretty open to all kinds of guitar music here, except for classical guitar I guess.

Slowpoke

Tele-Afflicted
Being an Aussie, I put Kasey Chambers more into a folk genre than country but I like her material. I prefer the classic type of country, OK I know we've lost a whole bunch of classic country singers over the last few years. I just wish a few more Jamey Johnsons' would come along. That guy can write good stuff, I love that song "The Dollar" and "The High Cost Of Living".
But I must admit to having 'cut my teeth' on the old Rock a Billy stuff like Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Rick Nelson and many more. Then gradually I began to take in Country Music, the likes of J Cash, Waylon, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Tammy, Loretta,
Emmylou Harris. Todays favourites are Jamey Johnson, Sturgill Simpson, Eric Church, Patty Loveless.
The likes of Taylor Swift come in the category of Pop Music in my mind. She's a good looking sheila and a brilliant business woman but I fail to see how they can call her 'country'.

PS. Its Sunday morning here in West Oz and I sank a few bourbons last night so I must apologize for my bad memory in not listing some artistes, Oh how could I forget Miss Dolly, shame on me.. S:cool::cool::rolleyes:

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
the “good stuff” is the junk you like
well-like-duh.jpg