Rock and Roll HOF Induction ceremony 2022

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I know this is going to be super-unpopular to some, so flame on.

I couldn’t give two chits about Jan Wenner and Rolling Stone, so let’s not make this about politics. I also have zero chits to give about who should or shouldn’t be inducted; I don’t follow it nor have I ever watched the ceremony … until last night. Ms. Nutz wanted to see it, and I said sure.

It. Was. Most. Excellent!

I love Duran Duran. Killed it! I love Pat Benetar. She and Neil killed it! I love Eurythmics. Killed it! I love Lionel. Killed it!

Never really listened to Priest growing up. Killed it. Dolly made a joke or two about being rock and roll, and then wrote a “rock and roll” song just for the show. Killed it! I don’t really listen to much Eminem, but I’ve like some. Killed it!

They honored Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Jimmy Iovine, Elizabeth Cotton, Harry Belafonte and a coupla others I was unfamiliar with.Killed it!

Missed Carly …

So there, put me in the trash and take me to the street, but that was some damn fine entertainment.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I saw a little bit. The Carly Simon piece was good. Whomever sang in her stead was really good. I liked that a lawyer was inducted. John Mellencamp's speech was pretty moving.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Link Wray ain’t in there. That’s all I need to know that this is just a popularity contest, and not a true reverence for RnR and the real roots of everything that followed Rumble.

Visiting might be cool to see some RnR artifacts.

Come on, now…. The RRHOF is every bit as objective as Rolling Stone magazine has always been.

staxman

Tele-Afflicted
I enjoyed the show as well. Rolling Stone is a favorite punching bag around here, but any awards type of thing (Grammys, Oscars, Country Music Awards, etc,) always get the same criticism. I’ve heard people say the RRHOF is just a corporate sham, which sounds a lot like…the MUSIC BUSINESS. Money motivation in Rock & Roll?!! Oh, the horror! There are a few exceptions, but the vast majority of artists, including some of your musical heroes, who are inducted most certainly don’t turn it down. There have been so many RRHOF performances and induction tributes that have touched me. There will always be glaring omissions and head scratching inclusions in the nominees, but at least it’s there to stir interest and discussion. Besides, if some people didn’t have something to demean, they wouldn’t be happy—so it has purpose for many.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Eminem is at least as rock n roll (dangerous) as the stupid Sex Pistols - and a whole lot more organic/less contrived.

He spent practically his entire speech giving props to all the rappers/MC’s that he said made it possible for him to be there.
Like 4 or 5 minutes worth.

If Lionel Richie had sung any flatter , an old ship would’ve sailed to the edge of his voice - and fallen off.

RhinestoneStrat

Tele-Holic
I sure can't wait for that glorious day when the RRHOF finally inducts the legendary Doodlebops...who are like the Led Zeppelin of pre-teen music. 😇

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I know this is going to be super-unpopular to some, so flame on.

I couldn’t give two chits about Jan Wenner and Rolling Stone, so let’s not make this about politics. I also have zero chits to give about who should or shouldn’t be inducted; I don’t follow it nor have I ever watched the ceremony … until last night. Ms. Nutz wanted to see it, and I said sure.

It. Was. Most. Excellent!

I love Duran Duran. Killed it! I love Pat Benetar. She and Neil killed it! I love Eurythmics. Killed it! I love Lionel. Killed it!

Never really listened to Priest growing up. Killed it. Dolly made a joke or two about being rock and roll, and then wrote a “rock and roll” song just for the show. Killed it! I don’t really listen to much Eminem, but I’ve like some. Killed it!

They honored Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Jimmy Iovine, Elizabeth Cotton, Harry Belafonte and a coupla others I was unfamiliar with.Killed it!

Missed Carly …

So there, put me in the trash and take me to the street, but that was some damn fine entertainment.
Thanks for the reminder, I didn't know it was available/streaming yet. I know the whole thing provokes negative reactions, but the shows usually have some great moments and I can forward through the stuff I don't care for.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I was very surprised that the show was decent. I think they think anything with a beat is rock. I think ther shouldn't be induction. If you are a rocker, especially one with history, should already be in. Now if you want to pyramid it and dedicate the top acts, at the top, that is OK. But there should be a base criteria and one or 2 albums of an act is not enough.

Pat Boone? Is in in the RNR hall a fame? He shouldn't. He is an insult to every quality rocker from the late 50's Some folks just do not belong in the RNR. RAp music, I guess it is a derivative. I am going to write a rap song right now, Here goes, Ah ha, ah ha, ah ha, ah ah, Yada bada bing bong, BOOM, I am a rapper. Excuse my rudeness because M & M does amaze me, but to call it rock? Seems very far away.

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
Just started watching, got up to Pat Benetar and hit pause. Enjoyable. Never paid much attention to Duran Duran, saw them awhile back on Austin City Limits and it was OK (I did bail half way through) but they kicked at the RRHOF ceremony. So far it's a feel good night w/ talented folks, nothing short of inspirational.

I always thought R&R is an attitude and not one particular style. I'm all for an expanded definition.