Rock and roll Battle of the Decades: 80's vs. 90's

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Leep Dog, May 26, 2011.

1. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

How about AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits, The Stray Cats, Tom Petty, The Cars, Queen, the B52's, Cheap Trick, Elvis Costello, John Mellencamp, REM, the georgia satellites, Metallica, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, The Cure, INXS, The Police, the talking heads, SRV, The Red hot chili peppers, etc, etc, etc?

2. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted

I can get on board with that!

Two of the best bands - ever. Looking forward to the new Wilco album (album? what? huh? Yeah, I'm 49...)

3. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

1980s all the way.

It's funny -- my kids and other kids in our social circle are obsessed with '80s music. I'll put on some '70s stuff and my daughter will say, "Can we listen to '80s instead?"

4. Scott B.

Scott B. Tele-Meister

I agree. While the 80's are now lampooned, there was such a wealth of creativity bubbling under the surface of all the primary musical forms and it was so easily available via independent record stores and radio stations.

Unfortunately, deregulation of the radio waves amputated the backbone of those undercurrents.

5. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

80's....90's seemed to be the decade of the big yawn.

6. Cameage

Cameage Tele-Holic

Jesus, that's tough.

Dinosaur Jr...but, Smashing Pumpkins.
    Husker Du...but, Lemonheads.
    Descendents...but, Weezer's first album.
    Black Flag...but, Alice in Chains.
    Joy Division...but, Arcwelder.
    They Might Be Giants...but, They Might Be Giants in the 90's.
    David Bowie...but, Third Eye Blind.
    Rites of Spring...but, Weezer's second album.
    Minor Threat...but, Green Day.

You know what, I'm going to go with the 90's. All of the good 80's music was underground. Most of the good 90's music was actually on the radio and popular, so even if the 80's had the edge with certain things, the 90's were still more fun.

7. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

A lot of these groups got their start in the 70's.

8. telewacked

telewacked Tele-Holic

+1 were you the guy that broke into my truck and stole my stereo and box of casette tapes? :)

9. Stuco

and? They were all prolific in the 80s and on mainstream radio: Lets look at some of the defining bands of the 90s: Nirvana est. 1987, Radiohead 1985, Alice in Chains 1987, Sublime 1988, Soundgarden 1984, Green Day 1987, Smashing Pumpkins 1988, 311 1988, Marylin Manson 1989, Blues Traveler 1987, etc.

10. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

There was rock'n'roll in the 90's?

11. outlawyer

outlawyer Tele-Holic

I'm with Randy the Ram on this issue.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Remember -

The 80's went from about 1982 to +/-1991 and the 90's went from 1992 to about 1998 or so.

This is obviously an argument based on commercial music - not the best music.

It's like you're on the end of a dock w/ a skim net pulling up minnows saying "Well - these are the biggest fish in this lake..."

OP said which decade had the best "rock" music and then listed a couple bands to steer you into the right direction.

To show you how subjective music is here is my learned opinion (hundreds and hundreds of shows, tens of thousands of records) on the above-named band 80's output :

AC/DC (monumental), Bruce Springsteen (really great), Dire Straits (not into it), The Stray Cats (early), Tom Petty (great radio pop-rock), The Cars (not the 80's stuff), Queen (nope), the B52's (nothing past'82), Cheap Trick (can appreciate now), Elvis Costello (fine, sure), John Mellencamp (has not aged well), REM (1 or 2 records), the georgia satellites (has not aged well), Metallica (fine, sure), ZZ Top (nothing from the 80's), Aerosmith (again - nothing from the 80's), The Cure (yup - great band), INXS (has not aged well), The Police (yeah - still like 'em), the talking heads (nope), SRV (blues w/ horrible production is not rock), The Red hot chili peppers (good tunes can be counted on one hand).

13. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

This song was considered borderline bubble - gum pop in the 80's. Catchy, rockin' little tune. Angst in the 80's was much easier to swallow...

If you are up to it, learn the song. The strum pattern and solo are a bit harder than you might think.

14. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Yeah, nice syncopated rhythm part. The solo is by Neil Giraldo... very tasty!

15. paulsoud

paulsoud Tele-Meister

90s, no question. Black Crowes, STP, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, the Gin Blossoms, Hootie and the Blowfish... The list goes on. And notice I deliberately left out a certain trio from Seattle.

16. paulsoud

paulsoud Tele-Meister

Wait... hair metal... Musicianship... Songwriting... WHAT!? Hair metal has got to be the worst thing to have happened to music since the invention of the synthesizer (Yeah, I went there).

17. Stuco

I was responding to this, I wasn't saying you weren't familiar with the bands/artists I listed. Those were just a small sample of the popular mainstream rock n roll groups of the 80 that are not hair metal pop. In my opinion there was a lot more groundbreaking and different stuff going on by far in the 80s in the rock genre.

18. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

Wow! I had no idea ( I am not being a smart - ass ). Thanks for the very cool trivia.

19. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I don't understand the Nirvana hate around here. I think they were a great band with great songs.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Exactly.

Because I'm sure we all know by now :

It's all about the songs.

Oh - and they helped end the spandex dude's reign of terror.

People who say Kurt Cobain was a lousy guitar player haven't a clue about rock n roll.

Wheedly

Deedly

and

Tappity

Tap

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.