Rock and roll Battle of the Decades: 80's vs. 90's

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Leep Dog, May 26, 2011.

1. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Which decade's rock music do you prefer? I have a soft spot in my heart for both; my musical conscience arrived during the 80's and GnR was the first band I worshipped. Lots of great guitar playing went down in the 80's too.

On the other hand we had a lot of cool stuff in the 90's. Nirvana and grunge, the death of hair metal (praise the lord). I picked up my first guitar in the early 90's too.

I guess I'd have to lean towards the 90's. I like how, in my opinion, guitar playing seemed to shift from technical showcasing to functionality and song writing.

2. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

I graduated from high school in '86. I hated 80's music then (with few exceptions) and it hasn't gotten better with time. I hated "grunge" and all that too, so the 90's weren't any better with respect to "popular music".
    I spent that time following Phish, Rusted Root, got started with Gov't Mule, Derek Trucks, etc. so I'll take the 90's dispite Nirvana and their ilk.

3. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

i'll go with 80's. the bands/singers that i liked in that decade actually emerged at the end of the 70's but had hits into the 80's: Dire Straits, The Cars, Police, Kate Bush, etc. also Paul Simon had Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints in the 80's

4. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Both are good, however with MTV in the 80s, the trophy goes to the 80s for rock. However, I feel the 70s had some of the best guitar rock music. Although rap/hiphop was emerging in the early 80s, it overpowered the massess during the 90s and was the top pop music. That's when I turned to country/folk music and back to the roots of blues for guitar inspiration.

5. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

'80s.

I find most '90s music to be insufferable.

6. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think in terms of popular rock that you might hear on the radio - the 90s were better. Not a lot of guitar on the radio in the 80s. To be able to turn on the radio and hear Nirvana or Metallica was a good thing. Beat the heck out of The Cutting Crew or Mr. Mister...

Dig a little deeper than the "popular" stuff and both decades shine.

80s: Los Lobos, X, The Blasters, Ramones, The Clash, Joe Ely, Pixies,etc.

90s: Los Lobos (ha!), Social Distortion, Rev. Horton Heat, Matthew Sweet, etc.

7. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

80' music was much more upbeat. I will take the major themes of hair metal ( sex, booze and rock and roll ) over grunge ( suicide, alienation and depression ) any day. This is not a judgement on the quality of the music, just the topic of the lyrics and overall " mood " of the music.

8. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

well, most of the stuff I liked fromt he 90's started in the 80's and most of the stuff I liked in the 80's started in the 70's... I have to give the 90's an edge becasue that is when I started becoming more aware of music. Of course that had mostly to do with becoming a teenager.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

80's, no contest.

Yeah, it had hair metal, but so what? The look was goofy, but the music was great. The musicianship seriously trumps most of what happened in the 90's, and the songwriting was just as good and in most cases better. Soundgarden was a great Seattle band that had it all, the singing, the playing and the writing. Nirvana was, is, and always will be a regrettable stain on the face of popular music, they had none of the above in any way, shape, or form.

The 80's had so much good music it's ridiculous. It had a lot of bad cheesy junk too, but it was more than balanced by great stuff in every rock and pop sub-genre.

The 90's? If I have to choose between Tesla and Black Album era Metallica (yuck) I'll tell you Tesla's getting that trophy every time. there was some good stuff in the 90's, I won't say there wasn't. But not nearly as much as the decade before. I would go so far (and have many time in the past) to call the 80's the greatest decade ever for popular music. At no other time in history has popular music EVER been so diverse.

10. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

The best decade for rock or your favorite music in general will usually be the decade when you were aged 16-25 roughly. A lot of your most exciting awaking moments, driving around listening to music, making out, first job, first time away from your parents will be associated with those songs.

If I was 17 in 1987 hearing GnR for the first time as I rode around with my buddies going to a party to meet some new girls I would think it was the most amazing song. If it came out today and I'm 41, working with a wife and three kids I might hear it playing in my 15 year olds room, but it probably won't catch me as the greatest band ever. But for my 15 year old it would be.

11. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

I think you are 100% correct sir.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In the 80's you also had The Replacements, Husker Du, Black Flag and the holiest of holys :

Minutemen.

But yeah, if ya just look at what was popular then all decades sucked, for the most part.

13. looney77

looney77 Tele-Afflicted

I'm 34 yrs old. I had an older brother who got me hooked on 70's rock like Free, Blackfoot, AC/DC, Skynyrd, etc... But he also liked a lot of the 80's music too. Bands like Tesla, Great White and the other 80's bands got alot of play in my youth.

When the Seattle scene hit, I was 14. It hit me hard. I love a lot of that music just as much as the rock of the 80's.

I think both of those periods are great for music. It's when the "modern" rock bands like Nickelback, Staind and a thousand more who sound like them, came out that I think music took a wrong turn. There just isn't very much new rock music that I like. A few bands like The Black Keys and Clutch keep making good music. But they are thee exception these days.

14. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

+1 on the digging a little deeper, true for all decades. but i have to give 80's radio the nod over 90's radio. you had the fluff,puff, and stuff (all derogatory terms for music made by musicians that got regularly played on the radio, which has only happened to me once, locally, and in a limited market. like it or not, you gotta have at least a little respect for those who are able to get it in regular rotation nationwide. i never have.) but you always have that.
    but you also had merle haggard, george jones, johnny paycheck, etc., playing regularly on country stations,not to mention steve earl and dwight yokam (tele sounds anyone?). the who, tom petty, pretenders, echo & the bunnymen, etc., on TOP FORTY radio. rap was taking off, and some of the old guys (john prine, tony bennet) were enjoying big comebacks, while recording some of their best material.
    not bad for just turning on the ole radio.

15. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

80s by far, the 90s saw the final gasps of good rock n roll in the mainstream (for the most part) and a lot of good stuff was made in the 90s but the 'catalog' of that decade pales in comparison to the 80s.

16. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think that's really true anymore, maybe for the music you listened to at that time but the time it came out doesn't matters as much. For example, for those youngsters today who aren't satisfied with just rap will have to look elsewhere and that probably means not only current music.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As far as mainstream rock goes - there was very little of it on the radio in the 80's.

Hair metal ?

That stuff wasn't rock.

It was pop w/ weedly-deedly guitar solos.

As heavy-handed as early 90's alterna-rock can sound now at least it was rock.

18. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I object to the artificial delimitation of the sweep of history into distinct eras based on decades A.D.

19. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I try to explain that to my wife, but she thinks I am just jealous that I could never play that fast or fit in spandex. The funny thing is, the older the hair band music gets, the less complicated the solo's sound. They used to sound like something that could never be copied no matter how much I tried (not that I tried:oops:). Now it kind of just sounds like fast blues through a bad distortion pedal.

20. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

I's like to add Wilco to the 90's and then move forward....

00's Los Lobos, Wilco

10's Los Lobos, Wilco

:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.