Rock Amps Petros 1 [Pics]

Faraldi

Tele-Afflicted
Got this old Petros 1 the other day. I believe it's around 35 years old. Made in USA by Rock Amplification in Pomona, CA.

Has a really sweet tone and is surprisingly loud for its size. Also, it has a very nice growl at higher volumes. Straightforward design - Vol / Bass / Treb.

She was pretty dirty when I got her and I tried cleaning her up as best I could. I loved the basket weave grille but it had a tear in it so I will be replacing it. I temporarily put fabric over it to protect the speaker. Interesting you could see the tear was because of repeated microphone placement. Pretty cool and likely a lot of history in this amp.

Has a Triad transformer (I know nothing about transformers) says it was made in USA also.

Amp kind of has a Champ-esque tone but with a lot more shaping. Also, the closed back design adds to the punch. Interested in recording this thing.

If anyone has info on these amps, PLEASE offer it up. Thanks!
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

BrownsBrick

Tele-Meister
I LOVE my Rock Amp Petros II. I've done a lot of recording with mine. I picked it up at a Garage sale 5 years ago for 6 bucks. I've never seen one since...not much info on these amps, people are shocked at how good it sounds. I think the filter is going however...

Where did you find yours, if I may ask? Looks great!

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 367

Faraldi

Tele-Afflicted
I LOVE my Rock Amp Petros II. I've done a lot of recording with mine. I picked it up at a Garage sale 5 years ago for 6 bucks. I've never seen one since...not much info on these amps, people are shocked at how good it sounds. I think the filter is going however...

Where did you find yours, if I may ask? Looks great!

Hey BrownsBrick,

Got mine from a gentleman locally off Craigslist. Good guy. Tried it out at his place and I was surprised at how it sounded. It was BIG sounding.

I'd love to figure out how to make one of these from scratch. I know nothing about building stuff but I think it would make a cool little low-wattage head and might sound awesome with a 12" speaker.

Paid $40. I think this one is a keeper.

Peace,
Joe

backalleyblues

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I remember these amps in some sort of knock-off catalog I got back in the late 70's (you know-bolt on LPs for $125, strats for $110, etc) They had a couple of these models and a mini Boogie amp called a Birdie in there (a friend of mine actually has the Birdie-loud little sucker!) Wish I still had that catalog... :D

Always wondered if they were any good... I guess they are!!!

Franc Robert

BrownsBrick

Tele-Meister
These are some of the loudest 1x10" amps on the face of the earth. Great score! The petros II has the volume/treble/bass knobs but an added "waveform" and distortion knob. If i'm correct there was also a Petros II Reverb model. My girlfriend loves playing her custom telecaster through it, sounds great with any pedal you put through it. I've been planning on replacing the filter caps on mine and going with a better speaker. Im thinking of a Fane type speaker...it could really rock!

Once I do that I think I may run it in stereo A/B with my 73' Deluxe Reverb

timonvh

TDPRI Member
Hi guys,
I've got a II like Brownsbrick. Bought it here in the Netherlands at a garage sale 10 years ago for what was then about 25 dollars. Used it as a gigging/jamming amp for years. I remember the pitying looks I got when I put it on a stage, and then the incredulous looks when I cranked it up!
Joe's I and Brownsbrick's II are the only other Rock Amps I've ever seen, apart from yet another smaller Rock Amp I own that's currently in storage, or I'd have posted a pic.
Cheers,
Timon

Faraldi

Tele-Afflicted
Hey timonvh, welcome aboard!

I just got my 2nd Petros I!!! It's the version with the distortion and reverb channel, plus it has the wood cabinet (no tolex).

Just needed a fuse. Sounds great!

Catfishbrown

NEW MEMBER!
I just bought one of these and have begun the search to find the builders. I know who built the cabinet, and who built the amp, and where it was done. I have not yet talked to the designer of the circuit. I have e-mails out to him. Pictures soon of mine. Mine is a later version that includes a redwood baffle board and rear board. I am told the First run of these amps were 50, then another 50, then 100. mid 70's ending approx 1978.

AMAZING sounding. Mine has reverb that absolutely sings.

Faraldi

Tele-Afflicted
I just bought one of these and have begun the search to find the builders. I know who built the cabinet, and who built the amp, and where it was done. I have not yet talked to the designer of the circuit. I have e-mails out to him. Pictures soon of mine. Mine is a later version that includes a redwood baffle board and rear board. I am told the First run of these amps were 50, then another 50, then 100. mid 70's ending approx 1978.

Welcome to the forum!

The 2nd one I got has reverb as well. Small sounding (reverb) but cool.
Please post any info you can get on these. Great little amps that absolutely scream. I have no idea what their power rating is. Wish I could get more info.

Ronsonic

Tele-Afflicted
I had one of those in the early 80s. Great little amp. Paid almost nothing for it in a pawn shop. Asked the guy what he wanted for it, he said $10, so I asked to try it out. Grabbed an SG off the wall and let rip. The pawnbroker was grimacing at thinking he sold it too cheap. Sounded great. Wish I still had.

TwinrockDM

TDPRI Member
Rock Amp made a battery-powered amp too! It had an oval-shaped speaker and ran off eight D-batteries. It cranked! It ate batteries quick, though. I wish I still had it. I've been looking for another one but I haven't seen so much as a pic or utterance of the name. That amp was available in 1980 and was around 70 bucks new. That and a Hondo II LP copy got me into playing!

StephaninMelb

Banned
It looks like it is solid-state amplifier. They will never be worth much because of that so best to have some fun with it. Little tip: try a quality 6 x 9 car speaker. More R&D has gone into that market the last few decades than guitar speakers.

Typical small guitar speaker is toy quality. Even an average car speaker has higher Sensitivity Rating and performance. Each 3 dB in sensitivity gain will double the volume. Go on annoy your neighbours!

Attachments

• 6 x 9 car speaker.jpg
    6 x 9 car speaker.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 363
  • air guitar.jpg
    air guitar.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 163

Colonel666

TDPRI Member
Rock Amps - Petros 1 (photos attached in my gallery)

This Petros 1 was my very first amplifier so it means alots to me. Bought it locally here on Long Island in the late 1980's for $40. Surprisingly it had much feedback and contributed greatly to my style of playing.

Here are some specs off it:

Top of square magnet (green ink) on speaker-
10VPGA4AX

On side of transformer magnet-
17-7842

Pots (rear)-
DS8389

Serial No. D37-1672
117 V.A.C. 60 Hz
150 Watts

It is 18.5 pounds and is Black Walnut laminated strips/stained darker on the outside only.
The rear panel is made of particleboard/veneer.

The photos I attach show the distortion, wave form, bass, treble, and ISC control.
The ISC effects the wave form like a filter would but did not change the distortion level.
The rear panel in an open and slightly angled position will be much louder and can produce an infinate sustain that made me crap till sunrise!
The footswitch jack in the rear allows a "crybaby" pedal to turn off the sound without bending over to manually turn the amp off.
You will be able to use the rear speaker jack to connect to any other amplifier input and both will play simultaneously and independently.
Used a Peavey Backstage II when I did this.

Thanks

Last edited:

HeavensThunder

TDPRI Member

Hey catfishbrown, did you ever find the circuit designer and/or obtain a schematic?

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey catfishbrown, did you ever find the circuit designer and/or obtain a schematic?
Yeah, way to resurrect a thread!

I had one of these:

rock_amp1.jpg

Also bought the ext 1x12 cabinet tat had it's own built in power amp!

Together the sounded huge!

I used to play with guys who had Marshall stacks and they told me
they couldn't believe who much louder it was compared to their rig.

I had mine up until the mid 80's. I'm so sorry I sold it.

Here's a tidbit of info: There were two version of the Studio Lead
that came out. For some reason, i took my original version back to
the music store for repair, (Pedrini Music in Alhambra, CA) and they
said the company was going to replace it with their updated version.

So I got back the newer version that to my estimation, didn't have
the same vibe as the original....... then i find that the original one
never left the store and years later, when they were selling off their
musical gear department, i noticed it was still in their inventory.
The company never picked up my old amplifier!

If I had less kids and more money at the time, I would have bought
my old amp back! LOL!