RobRob Deluxe Build Filter Caps

RickRogers

TDPRI Member

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Just use one lead of the dual side...in the B+ location? You could clip it off flush, or shrink wrap the other.

Len058

Tele-Meister
If you build it with a solid state rectifier, you could do 33-33-16 for filtering. I don't know if that's an option for all or some rectifier tubes. I understood there's a limit when using a tube but SS rectification can have better filtering.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
It's an electrolytic right? So not a small body cap really? I cant think of a reason it wouldn't be fine. Deluxes have 16UF caps usually, so plenty of filter there...

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Yep. In fact 32-16-16 filtering is nice in a 5E3; tightens up the bass among other things….

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
If you build it with a solid state rectifier, you could do 33-33-16 for filtering. I don't know if that's an option for all or some rectifier tubes. I understood there's a limit when using a tube but SS rectification can have better filtering.
A 5Y3 should be able to handle 33uF. Pretty sure I got one of those (single axial) with the intention of installing it in my 5E3 clone.

I just have no idea what 33uF to the second node would sound like.

If the overall dimensions of the 2X33uF cap are similar enough to a single axial cap, I'd just tape or heat shrink off the unused section, and use a pair of 16uF axials for the other two.