1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

RobRob 5E3 Deluxe, 2nd guitar amp build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by pfarrell, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

pfarrell likes this.
  2. pfarrell

pfarrell TDPRI Member

I took the Merlin article to heart, made sense to me—will see what effects there are, if any, of not having a standby switch long term. All of this is just too cool—this whole guitar amp building thing...

3. pfarrell

pfarrell TDPRI Member

Thanks Rob. ;-)

“Standby” of course is secret NFB. Don’t think i’m gonna redo it. I’ll put a note in the cabinet for anyone if this thing still lives in 100 years. Only knob colors I have. Kinda works. Wanted all black chickenheads with white master. The non brushed anodized alu is really nice in person, has depth.

Might have a finished cabinet today.

38AE9E20-6975-46F0-AC1E-B570F926EC81.jpeg

mojek and robrob like this.
  4. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

What is Your one switch? Does it control HV or full amp power?

I have one amp which full power is controlled using only one On/Off switch and I don't like it. Then I have other amp which have only one switch which controls HV. Filament current is always on when mains plug is inserted and I like it because often I switch HV on and off more than once during a session.

5. pfarrell

pfarrell TDPRI Member

Top switches are normal power, and NFB (where it says standby), deleted standby entirely, added the 10% power (this works very well) on back of amp. I’ll make a custom cutout on the back panel to access the AUX jack and the power cut switch.

robrob likes this.
  6. pfarrell

pfarrell TDPRI Member

Still have to make the back panels. Had a listen in though—for all the little I can actually play after 2 months of guitar work and daily practice. Sounds quite different from the Champ. Glad we have both! Two different paint brushes! Of course I haven't even started to understand what I might "want" anything to sound like. Have some buzz if any tone is applied—seems to attenuate with amount and then the buzz goes away around max—I think the guitar is a factor though—and we only have one cheap Squire Tele at the moment (working on this—a PRS hollowbody inbound from my brother—and a Tele from a cousin). The bridge pickup which seems already pretty unforgiving (Link Wray, Rumble, which I can play—sounds SO legit with single bridge PU)—is more buzzy in 5E3 than Champ—that seems interesting to me. Again—I'm pretty sure this all normal guitar amp stuff—I'm just not used to it. Can't hear any of this when playing. And 5E3 is a total ghost with no input. Champ has some low level hum. LOVE THIS!!! More later.

I took some process Tolex'n pics. I can post some observations if anyone is interested. I've learned a few tricks, through doing 3 amps now. Mostly it's about the right glue. Can't imagine anyone attempting this with any other type of adhesive than the one i found. Also, I discovered a trick—maybe this is just new to me—with regard to the grill cloths. My daughter carried the Champ around the house, grill-to-knee. That didn't go well at all. Before any type of freakout on my part ;-), It occurred to me to hit it with a little heat. I have huge heatguns—but pulled out the little one I use for heatshrink—WOW—tightened the giant dent right out—gone—and snugged up the whole panel by going over it without stopping, at a slow rate—you can see the fibers tighten up. Maybe this is a known thing... But I discovered it somewhat randomly—works excellent. Obviously this only applies to "grill cloth" as being sold by the various vendors—woven plastic really.

PF-RobRob-5E3_16.jpg
    PF-RobRob-5E3_17.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    no doz, Chicago Matt, gigante and 2 others like this.
  7. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Very nice work on the cab and tolex, it looks great.

8. pfarrell

pfarrell TDPRI Member

Yeah! Thanks Rob.

Back pic. Kinda off in a good way? Easy access to PWR cut and AUX speaker.. Hazard of rolling your own chassis I guess. What an amp!

1F998686-2C5F-4D9C-A871-90D9B9905761.jpeg
    0E25E2F1-76E0-4D04-A6DE-093B04EBEEF2.jpeg

9. gigante

gigante Tele-Meister

Looks good to me!

pfarrell likes this.
  10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Wow PF, that's some impressive amp building. Nice work and congratulations, that's a beauty. Thanks for the tip on the Ecoweld glue.

pfarrell likes this.
  11. pfarrell

pfarrell TDPRI Member

Thank guys! Definitely DO NOT recommend silver Tolex if doing this the first time. Very unforgiving visually, but it is a little thinner than the normal black Tolex, maybe easier to work with?
    Here's another secret tool—from my bookmaking days—do not get a plastic one—it has a million uses with this type of project.
    Here's a really good video of a kid building a 5E3 from scratch—Rob is mentioned—seems appropriate to share. Built his chassis from sheet goods, made and staked his own layout board from G10! (no Tolex, which is totally fair, imo.)
    And also all the vids from "Uncle Doug", guy is super entertaining (to me). He's got some Tolex how-to vids.
    This is the vid that gave me the most clues about corner wrapping methods: Here
    Fender does their cuts from the top, since I guess they consider the front the finished side—seams end up on the top and bottom of the amp. That means you have to start the panel on the front, and wrap to the back—it's a little harder to start the sheet, but simpler to figure out the dimensions and the cuts are simpler overall (definitely faster from a cost/production standpoint), Uncle Doug isn't doing his this way—since he's not working with the Fender top and bottom baffle attachment scheme—which I personally like for it's visual simplicity. I did cuts from both directions when I made the 2 Champs—I think I prefer the Fender way, visually....

Princeton Reverb up next!

robrob likes this.
  12. no doz

no doz Tele-Meister

what a great looking amp. love your aesthetic choices. clean work inside too, well done!

pfarrell likes this.
  13. stev

stev TDPRI Member

Great looking build! I just finished a Weber 6A14 kit and want to try the RobRob Deluxe next. One question @robrob looking at your layout diagram (https://robrobinette.com/images/Guitar/RobRob_Deluxe/RobRob_Deluxe_Layout.png) on the lead channel mod, and I'm struggling to find a source for a 0.68uF polarized electrolytic cap (checked digikey, mouser, amplifiedparts, mojotone, tubedepot, etc.) for the V1A bypass location. Does it need to be polarized electrolytic? If so, would someone mind pointing me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Nice work...

15. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

No need for polarized there.

From Robinette

The "Lead" channel gets a much smaller, Marshall size .68uF 50v (or higher voltage) bypass capacitor to attenuate lower frequencies which will clean up and tighten the overdrive tone. This capacitor size is kind of rare but it does not need to be an electrolytic.

16. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I've found it easier to find some NOS ones on eBay. You really have to keep an eye on the voltage ratings or they're ridiculously huge.

17. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

You must have tiny fingers, or a lot of patience. A 5E3 without any of your extras is cramped, that looks great!

18. stev

stev TDPRI Member

Thanks @D'tar and @tele_savales!

19. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I usually use tantalum caps for the .68uF bypass caps.

20. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Yep I found some nice small tantalum jobbies after the other ones I bought seemed a bit large 3157DF74-C199-4B01-AF49-D1BE958EE674.jpeg

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.