Robot delivery v 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Apr 12, 2021.

1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure there was an episode of Futurama that contained a future version of a '50s cold war style educational film on why such interactions would stop us as a species from doing anything productive.....

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

SRHmusic likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

We are not talking about massive food chain production, we are talking Domino's pizza.

Oh wait. After further thought, robotic delivery of fast food faux pizza might solve three problems at once.:twisted: Okay, I like it afterall.:D

getbent likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

define productive

5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm. Wonder what would happen if you shot this thing right in the nose with a paint gun.

Free pizza for someone? Or would it just drive itself into the nearest hard object? Fun to think about.

1955 likes this.
  6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Assuming same or similar to the robots already working in my metro area, your shooting it would be recorded on rather high quality cameras. Robots near and other security or LP systems would aid your being caught. They stop when damaged and that's noticed. They did better than many expected in winter storms or other scenarios that trouble them.

What we have - Starship - are deployed at several good university campuses so I'm guessing other TDPRI members have seen them.

7. JuneauMike

Good to know.

guy.jpg

8. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Well, at least you don't have to tip the driver.

9. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Once they start doing that in the cities I’ve lived in, there will be some broken and missing robots.

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Version 1 Robots have better TONE.
    Fact!!!

Toto'sDad and imwjl like this.
  11. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sure, it all sounds good, til one day, you try to order some combination of toppings that's not in the program...

HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
    Dave: What's the problem?
    HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
    Dave: What are you talking about, HAL?
    HAL: This [pizza] is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

:lol:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I was thinking about this last year today while waiting for a meeting to start. Next week, we come back full force... and I thought about last year at this time and how innocent we all were. A woman I worked with told me at the time, "I've got 35 years in, I'm done, I'm retiring July 1 and she did... and passed in January from 'the thing'. Then I thought about being 12 and lying on the floor of my living room watching Senator Sam in all my innocence and thinking that I understood stuff.

We are always innocent and the end is always coming. We always hope for an innovation that will give us security and make life a little closer to idyllic and we still overwhelm ourselves with examples of cruelty, disparity and good intentions gone awry (I gotta believe the asbestos fellers were sure 'this is awesome'!)

So, when robots come, some see the 'positive possibility' and some see the irrepressible beginning of the end. After all, sometime one of the two sides will be right.

I'd bet we'll keep on keepin' on. We survived the invasion of the fax machines, we'll probably survive this.

bottlenecker and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

will these robots be relic'd or will the composition of their modern plastics not have the tone of plastics from the 50s

Hamstein likes this.
  14. imwjl

That's maybe taking it farther or holding paranoia I don't have but I'm sure someone's looking for vulnerability in their architecture.

Yes. We're not mostly farmers anymore and they've embraced robots at scale. In addition to mostly not being farmers anymore, every town I've lived in seems to be surviving without lamplighters, lectors and other jobs.

15. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

This is why they'll arm them. They're not very tall. Guess where that non lethal bean bag is most likely to hit you?

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

In the cities I am near, they have scooters and bikes that you can rent (unattended) I guess they have some loss, but not enough to be in the way of profitability. I've not rented them, but my wife (who has lots of meetings there) and my kids have and they say it is simple and useful and fun.

There will always be vandals I suppose, but they don't usually rule the day, we are tougher than that.

17. imwjl

Absolutely.

There are photos of the bike share junk in China out there but the micromobility stuff in US is promising in places. In my city, Chicago and Twin Cities I've seen the service vehicles that find and move troubled bikes and scooters.

I can't speak for these larger pizza robots but word when the Starships were deployed on college campuses, some of the testing considered was how they'll hold up where there is a small but constant stream of troublemaking. Reality seems to be they are mostly left alone.

I'm jealous where associates bike share or scoot to a train station to go to work or to have fun.

18. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

19. JuneauMike

I think that would be the most intellectually honest thing they could do. That would be an unambiguous reminder that it is us against the robots. It would also be a great invitation to escalate. Either way, it all ends the same.

20. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

you don't have to tip them, they fall on their own !

JuneauMike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.