Robert Johnson Recordings

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Jun 10, 2021 at 3:07 AM.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have ‘The Complete Recordings’ on vinyl….thick European vinyl from the very early ‘70s.

2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I posted the Columbia releases because I like the sound of the recording how the tempos feel
    suites me fine There's a recording of R.J. playing "Stop Breaking Down" that sounds speeded up the voice sounds almost cartoonish when he raises the pitch of his voice at the end of a phrase. I never liked the tonal quality of Hot Tamale and a Red Hot it has a forced feeling and the phrasing has a feel that I just can't dance to I'm not saying the song was sped up , I just don't like the feel of it.
    Using my DAW I can speed up the tempo with out affecting the pitch of my voice or slide guitar.
    MICKEY  MIRROR.jpg

3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Supposedly a large portion of his sets during live performances in dance halls and street corners was doing covers of popular songs at the time. From what I’ve read his recordings are much more focused than his live repertoire was.

4. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Yeah the real shame is how few recordings of other material we have.

And quite a few (forgot the total), as great as they are, are basically rewrites of the "Kind Hearted Woman" template.

With "Red Hot", we get a slight glimpse of what other stuff might have been in his repertoire.

People forget he wasn't recording during the late 20's -early 30's like James, Son House, Blind Lemon, Patton, but a full year and two years after the swing revolution.

It would be really interesting to know what he absorbed from that.

5. Wally

I erred above. The vinyl album I have is ‘The King of the Delta Blues Singers’…first released in 1961 by Columbia. Dan Law, who recorded the only recordings of Robert Johnson during two sessions..one in San Antonio and one I’d Dallas..in 1936 and 1937, put the compilation together in 1961 for that release. This are the recordings that spurred the admiration for Johnson’s work on a worldwide stage.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  6. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

It’s just funny that you mentioned this because I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago, I’ve had “Red Hot” stuck in my head which was the reason why. To be honest I’m not sure how he even has attained such legendary status considering that he has a recorded catalogue of what amounts to only a handful of songs if you don’t count the rewrites… Which I’m sure comes down to the record company deciding what to put on the record. The sad part is we will never know the true breadth of his talent.

Mike M likes this.
  7. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Had that one as well (and vol2)

Loved the cover with the illustration of his back to us, well before any known photos existed.

The myth was he was shy, and he turned his back because of that, but Ry Cooder dispelled that idea.

"Robert Johnson faced the wall because he intuitively understood the acoustic principle of "corner loading."

8. Wally

Johnson recorded 29 songs with some second takes.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  9. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Love it.

11. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Ordered on the strength of this recommendation.

Mike M likes this.
  12. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

It's easy to forget that traveling musicians like Johnson weren't out there 'starving for their art and dedicating themselves to the greater cause of preserving the blues'. They were performing musicians who played whatever their audiences wanted and would pay to hear. The people who recorded Johnson were after something specific. The juke-joint audiences he played for just wanted to have a good time with popular music they could dance to.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 1:46 PM
    SnidelyWhiplash, Wally and Mike M like this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

;)

14. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

YES, I always thought that

I didn't knew I was not the only one

Mike M likes this.
  15. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Poster Extraordinaire

Alternate take

16. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Robert Lockwood Jr. who was taught by Robert Johnson stated before he passed that the recordings
    were true to how RJ actually sounded. I'd take his opinion far more than anyone one on the 'net. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.