1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Robert Cray Interview - Quote

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Hpilotman, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

Music Radar:
    Matchless tone

For a long time, you used Fender amps and then you switched over to Matchless setups. How did that come about?

Robert Cray:

“We were doing a show in Hollywood opening up for Bonnie Raitt, and I had the chance to try out her guitar player’s setup; I played down by the bridge and the sound through the Matchless just flipped me out.

Some people collect guitars, but I collect amps!

“I still have the Fender Super Reverb and use it for recording sometimes, with a Fender Vibro-King as a second stage amp, but the Matchless Clubman 35 is my main amp - Class A 35 watts with a 4x10 cabinet, and I use two of them. Jimmie Vaughan used the same setup for a while.

“We change the tubes around a bit, experimented doing various things. They’re just great amps. I also use a Magnatone Stereo Vibrato that my guitar tech made for me years back. Some people collect guitars, but I collect amps!”

jspartz, BobbyZ, theprofessor and 2 others like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting, I had the Clubman and I would call it one of the worst amps I ever had for tone. But playing in clubs is different than playing the big stage like Cray. I could see how the amp would start to breathe on the big stage maybe.
    His tone is a percussive attack with very minimal sustain though, and so is JV's. That's exactly how my Clubman sounded, and exactly what I dont want. So it works for them I guess. There was one spot on the volume dial, about 1 oclock or higher where it started to sound really good, but it was deafening at that setting for club work.

3. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

I noticed that RC has a common thread with the mentioned amps. They all commonly use 10" Speakers and his Matchless cab is a 4x10 . Was your amp a 4x10 setup?

4. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

5. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

Was your amp a 4 x10 speaker configuration? I noticed that the amps he mentioned all use 10 inch speakers and he also mentioned some tube changes in the Matchless.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

No it wasn't. The CLubman is a head. I tried various cabs with it actually, cant remember if I tried 4 x 10 but I dont think so. Just 12 or 2 x 12. The thing was superbly built and very simple clean layout inside really. Just not my thing I guess. But they are EL34 power and I have never bonded with an EL34 amp. :D It just seemed like a one trick pony and there was a great setting in one narrow setup range.
    They are highly touted, yet you dont see them much.

7. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

Yep I owned a EL34 Rivera and it was a good amp but I've been listening to 6L6's for too many years.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I like Matchless Chieftain amp models, especially with a 4x12 cab impulse response, I've used but I've never had the opportunity to play the real thing. I can't see myself owning the real thing outside a lottery win or the like though.

9. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

I always enjoy hearing stories of the superstars trying each others equipment. Thanks for sharing.

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Saw Robert Cray in Fargo several years ago, he was on tour with Eric Clapton. My (ex) wife got the tickets and I had to make a mad dash home from California or some damned place for the concert.
    Anyway Robert Cray just blew me away that night! Never even bothered to look at his gear and I was certainly close enough. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.