1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Robby Krieger disses the Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike M, Jul 16, 2020.

1. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Maybe. However, pointy guitars are pretty specific to a style and an era that always had a limited appeal at best. Teles (and Strats, Les Pauls, SGs...) are universal and timeless.

Like, I’ve never bonded with a Les Paul, and I owned an ‘81 Custom for four years. Ultimately, my Tele felt and sounded better to me. However, I’d never question why anyone would play a Les Paul.

Anyway, we’re not Rock & Roll Hall of Famers.

2. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not sure if I understand this ?The doors last album was in 1971? What did he do after that?
    And who cares?

ChickenKiller likes this.
  3. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

When someone says something like his tele comment I immediately want to know what do they like. Turns out he played a Gibson Melody Maker on the first albums. That model and most of what he talks about, except 335s, would not be on my radar at all.

I liked their first album at the time but I've always been lukewarm to his playing. I do have to hand it to him: he knows how to feed controversial thread topics. Maybe he learned that from Morrison who I recall was pretty good at creating controversy and getting the band in the headlines.

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I dunno, reading old GP, jazz, blues magazines and interviews it just seems a more honest time to me. People said what they felt, some were polite by nature buts lotsa guys laid their opinions bare. Seems once you're in the public eye now you have to shower adulation in most of your opinions or the wrath of fans of whatever will speak up en masse. Which is cool too...it's just that now guys say one thing in private differently than in public.

I've got some buddies who definitely abide by this rule...lol

Personally, I don't mind opinions to the contrary and am 100% okay if someone doesn't like things I like...for instance, telecasters and I can vehemently disagree with them with no hard feelings whatsoever.

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The thing is, I'm gonna be 72 next month and noticed that I'm getting "ker-mugh enly " as time moves a long I thing after awhile being around and living several decades the road wear begins to soak through the rapper just a little bit. Seeping in and causing ht spots like hearing the words "58' Turquoise Edsel", or 58 les paul burst. it could be anything that ignites that hot spot. Maybe Robbie's experiencing a little road wear himself . I know I sure am.
    vpl-2343.jpg

PacificChris and Mike M like this.
  6. Blue vista

Blue vista TDPRI Member

I’ve played Stratocaster’s most of my life and back in April I bought my first Telecaster.I was always modding my Stratocaster to be more like a Telecaster,decking the bridge,putting a Twangbanger pickup in the bridge position,and since I got my Telecaster I’ve never looked back.As far as what that fellow said it’s like saying I don’t no why people like pizza so much, hamburger’s are better and more fun to eat.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

He might be a holy cow, but I was never much impressed.

ChickenKiller and teletail like this.
  8. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

I have the same idea about SG’s. Can’t really get into most players’ tone on that tool. There are exceptions. To each his own!

9. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

You mean Jerry Garcia, right?

10. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Robbie Krieger thinks Strats are batter than Teles - whatever. An old friend of mine had the same mindset. In her case, she thought Strats were the ultimate elecric guitars, and as a result, would pointedly ask me why would anybody else would want to play any other electric guitar? Different strokes for different folks. She liked Bread, and I liked heavy rock - enough said.

I saw Clapton live at Alpine Valley Music Theater in 1988 or 1989. I'm not a huge Clapton fan (though I do like a fair amount of the material he played when he was in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and Cream), but a boyfriend of mine at the time (who a few years down the road was the other guitar player in some bands I was in [I played lead guitar, he played mainly rhythm guitar]) had tickets to go to the show. Figuring why not, since it would give me the right to say that "yeah, I saw (the legendary) Eric Clapton play", I went to the show (I saw the Beach Boys play at Summerfest in 1983 for the same reason). It was one of the most boring shows I've ever seen. Clapton basically phoned in his performance - blah to say the least!! I've played better when I was having off days!!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    57fenderstrat and Unadan like this.
  11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't think I ever knew who this guy was before this thread! The Doors had a guitar player?

Not sure how Clapton got dragged in. For the record I can't think of anything memorable he did after Derek and the Dominoes. Some pretty awfully bad pop-blues ballads?

ChickenKiller and burtf51 like this.
  12. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike TDPRI Member

Whatever.....He's a Gibson guy anyway.....He wrote one of the best pop songs of the 20th century, and although my enthusiasm for listening to The Doors has gone up and down through the years, you gotta admit that they're one of the most unique rock groups in History; An untrained, yet amazing sounding baritone lead voice delivering obscure poetry over music comprised only of an electrified Flamenco guitarist, primitive electric keyboards, no Bass player (live anyway), and sparse, tasteful drumming.....They produced one hell of a sound that has stood the test of time

MaxPlank, Macrogats, Mike M and 2 others like this.
  13. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

The Doors had a guitar player?

Who knew?

ChickenKiller likes this.
  14. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

So I'm fairly new to Strats, but have been playing electric guitar for about 20yrs.

Am I missing something, or can I get all the Tele sounds out of my Strat, plus the 2 extra out-of-phase positions?

Now I do hate the 5-way switch because I've always had single pickup guitars or 2 at the most, but that's a me-problem.

15. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm going over some memories of Robbie's stuff that I liked.
    - Slide part in "Moonlight Drive"
    - first finger trill in "Love Me Two Times" - seems simple, is not so
    - fingerstyle part in "People Are Strange"
    - laying on the fuzz in "Hello I Love You" and "Waiting for the Sun"
    - dual tracked solo in "Five to One"
    - of course, the flamenco part in "Spanish Caravan"
    - LA Woman

I think a lot of his stuff is memorable if generally understated. Not a blazing soloist. I can see how the carnival calliope keyboard sound got most of the attention.

MaxPlank, flathd and Mike M like this.
  16. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Yes, I remember when Strat discussions on the internet focused on the 'second harmonic' thing as though it lent some magic to a Strat's tone. Of course the moment you fret a note that harmonic node shifts toward the bridge. People dream up some weird theories...

17. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

him too, but

CD0CE1EC-74B0-4B5B-BC58-64C1FE987783.jpeg

18. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Same for me. Comfort and flexibility.
    I love my telecasters but more often than not, one of my strats will shoulder most of the load live.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

To be honest, the Tele is the least versatile of the major guitar styles. While it can be used for anything from jazz and country to blues and rock, it probably only excels at country and even there, it can be easily replaced with a Strat.
    I love my Tele. Looks and feel wise it's my favorite but neither of mine are as good as my Strats and sometimes only a humbucker will do.
    I think Mike Campbell said something to the effect "guitars are like paint brushes and colors. Sometimes a song needs a little, soft touch and sometimes it needs something bolder and broader. Tom and I listen to a song part and think 'that needs a Tele'. (horribly paraphrased but you get the idea)

57fenderstrat and 8trackmind like this.
  20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I like Krieger. He “played to the song,” and fit the vibe of the performance. The Doors would not be what they became if they’d had a player like Hendrix or some similarly celebrated guitarist instead of Krieger...

...and he’s just stating his opinion about Telecasters—he’s not praising Dahmer.

And since this has somehow morphed into a referendum about Slowhand:
    I also like Clapton—throughout his career. He’s got his own discernible style and sound—or, in reality, several discernible styles and sounds over his various eras/phases; Yardbirds vs Mayall vs Cream vs Blind Faith vs early solo vs Derek vs 70’s solo vs mid-late 80’s solo vs acoustic vs Blues revivalist vs...

...and although we think of him mostly as a Stratocasterist, he’s played his fair share of other instruments.

No, I don’t think he’s “God” or “god” or even “godlike” (I don’t give that assignation to any human), but I like his style, his singing, his promotion of and enthusiasm for the guitar, and his celebration of other players.

He’s a flawed human being who’s done/said some terrible things, but it seems like he has tried to make atonement, in both word and deed.

Some people can’t seem to accept that humans sometimes say and do bad things, but can repent, grow from it and move forward...some people also don’t allow others to repent, grow and move forward—they just use the bad examples as confirmation bias against a person they (already) dislike...so you get people who repeatedly bring up horrible incidents that happened 20, 30, 40 years ago, and just won’t look at the changes and (later) indications that the person changed. If

And if you’re exactly the same person you were 20 years ago, well...bless your heart, but you ain’t living—you’re just existing.

Also—would you like your worst moment(s) published and/or recorded and/or filmed and released to the public?
    Me neither...especially during my two worst periods in the bottle.

I completely love some of Clapton’s albums, and I am not particularly inspired by others. Some of the albums that people universally dislike are amongst my favorites, and some of his “benchmarks” just don’t interest me that much...they’re called “opinions” and “preferences” for a reason—

—just like Krieger’s opinion and preference regarding Telecasters.

EDIT: None of the forgiveness and growth stuff applies to Yngwie.
    EDIT 2: just kidding about Yngwie...maybe.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    teletail and Digital Larry like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.