Robbie Robertson's Telecaster

RYAN1987M

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
For those of you who don't know...today - September 22, 2019 - is the 50th Anniversary of the release of The Band's second album THE BAND. For my money, it is the greatest album of all time!

Yes, I suppose you could call me a bit of a fan...

G6CWYo8.jpg

Anyways, I wanted to post this thread to share some photos of Robbie Robertson and his main Telecaster. These photos are from Elliott Landy's fantastic book The Band Photographs: 1968-1969.

rhXYIIE.jpg

RYAN1987M

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
As I mentioned, here are some photos that show the Tele before it was stripped and heavily modified. Yes, this is the same Tele that was played by Bob Dylan when some members of The Band backed him up for his first electric tour. I also included a few photos where I noticed Robbie playing other guitars.

OocJ65s.jpg

Mvsy3n2.jpg

MtoXPLx.jpg

jOslcjT.jpg

wQaJAeo.jpg

P5zjpEL.jpg

oBNBaJe.jpg

UKYLZHd.jpg

y639rxN.jpg

Rsddfb0.jpg

eDUDYTQ.jpg

2gVb4TE.jpg

Attachments

• robbie-robertson-telecaster.jpg
    robbie-robertson-telecaster.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 513

RYAN1987M

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
As I’m writing this, I’m sitting in a theatre about to see, Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band

Awesome - hope you enjoy it!

Where are you seeing it? I'd love to see it ASAP...but I don't think it's doing a wide release until early 2020.

hydra19

TDPRI Member
Nice post, I love the Band. To me, Robbie Robertson has the definitive Tele tone on those albums. I love his subdued playing in the songs, and now I want a Tele like that, but it's very rare.

In those pics, you only see Robbie playing that Tele, it is like it is the only Telecaster he's ever had, although we've all see him play the white rosewood on Dylan's tour. I think it sounds great as well.

His 1965 Telecaster has a maple cap neck, available as a custom order during the rosewood fretboards times. Nowdays, it is extremely rare to find a Telecaster with a maple neck and no skunk stripe. The Elite is the only current one, and Tokai had them on their Pink Paisley reissues, but not Fender! I'm really having a tough time finding one....

Back to Robbie, I seen one pic where he is playing a blackguard of some vintage sort. Other than that, it's just the black/stripped Telecaster although I've read that he had 3 Telecasters in total during the Hawks days, and 2 of those were used on Dylan's 1966 tour.

0b850fdab33060df389649aa96c67824--the-band-musicians.jpg

hawk_7.jpg

I'm a sucker for details, I'd love a reissue of Robbie Robertson's Telecaster, but he sounds like himself even on the epiphone, and no Tele is going to make me sound like that!

Anyway, the Brown album is a special one for me, reminds me of the summertime vacations, and I love the guitar playing on it. The Telecaster doesn't get as much of the spotlight as I'd like but when it's there, it's very special.

Robbie Robertson along with Nokie Edwards are my favorite Telecaster players

Last edited:

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

When in his career did he use this guitar? (Custom Shop signature RR). Strat SSS with new pickguard to relocate the middle pickup and a push/pull tone pot to put the bridge and middle in series humbucking mode. One of the mods I'll build someday.

fender_custom_shop_robbie_robertston_stratocaster_last_waltz_limited_edition_bodyfront2.jpg

Last edited:

hydra19

TDPRI Member
I believe he used that bronze strat for the last waltz, although he started playing strats later in his time with the band, then on the last waltz and solo career. So he switched from Telecaster to Stratocaster in the mid 70s

It was a mid 50s strat that was bronzed specifically for the last waltz