Robben Ford's Dumble! On sale...LOL

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PrimeGuitars, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't Roland already nail this tone with the Robben Ford tone capsule installed in a Blues Cube?
    Much cheaper to just buy one of those.:)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Tony Forman and nojazzhere like this.
  2. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

Batman Ford's sidekick.

Geo, MickM, Southpaw Tele and 4 others like this.
  3. journeyman

journeyman TDPRI Member

For some time, I had been under the impression that “the second Dumble ever made” was the one he custom-designed for, and which is still owned by, David Lindley. Perhaps I am unclear on the specific sequence described...?

4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would be all over this but that $289.99 for shipping just puts it over the top.

MickM and nojazzhere like this.
  5. JukeBoxHero

JukeBoxHero TDPRI Member

lolll seriously.... that's the price of a house. This amp must sound like a choir of angels singing

6. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    The title of this thread is CLICK BAIT

It's too bad that is starting to happen here at TDPRI. The ad clearly states in it's title that it has R.F.Spec. They don't claim it is Robben's amp. The title of this thread is false. Why? Why use deception to draw an audience?
    Why does the truth not seem good enough for some people these days? Are everyday events not juicy gossipy enough? Is that why people do this or is it more fun to try and deceive some people and get them worked up?

As far as the amp goes. For an ODS in that condition with a flight case and a Dumbleator, the current price is about what these get put on consignment for at places like Carter's Vintage and other places.
    Yea, it's a lot of money for most of us. But for some people it's not, and this might prove to be a good investment.

LuthRavin and milocj like this.
  7. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

Dumble made amps for the Ventures, so not the second one he ever made. maybe the 2nd Ford type.

note it still needs a "Dumblator" (got a D II in the rack)(its a buffer)

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember now, Robben Ford is a special Fender guitar that looks like a Japanese Gibson copy.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

Funny, the listing states that Dumble is "one of the most respected of all amplifier builders".

On the TDPRI, Howard is one of the most disrespected.
    Too bad really, most of us don't know what we're missing.
    Vintage Strat and Tele pricing doesn't drive us to ridicule Strats and Teles.

ahiddentableau likes this.
  10. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

According to this article Howard (Alexander) Dumble's personal amp is serial number 001, and Robben's is number 002, which led me to believe that Robben's was the second one made. Maybe it's the second Overdrive Special, and another Dumble model preceded that one.
    www.premierguitar.com/articles/20572-rig-rundown-robben-ford

11. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Great observation. It's a funny thing, isn't it? Now I'm left wondering what determines whether we (the mob) break one way or the other. My first thought was that don't see vintage Fender owners throwing their prestige around much on this forum. But I haven't exactly heard Dumble fans beating their chests here, either.

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

Why is Dumble one of the most disrespected here on the forum?
    Did anyone had a bad experience with his amps? BTW, the prices they ask for on the used market is not his doing.
    Knowing about Dumble, ordering an amp to exact specs of someone else's Dumble amp is not wise. The best about Dumble is, he builds the amp to your playing style. Of course if you want an amp that sounds like Ford, Lindley or others amp is ok, but exact specs makes no sense at all.
    I own two Dumble amps he made for me, my experience with him is only positive. I never really got the hate on the internet. Probably >90% on the net haven't played a real Dumble and close to 99% haven't met Alexander.

Recce, telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.
  13. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The only thing I don't like about the man is that he goops his circuits. He's no spring chicken, and if I were him I would want to share my knowledge with others before I leave this mortal coil.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

Well what I observe here is more disrespect for the idea that any amp can be worth more than a DRRI by buyers who feel an MIM is too expensive.
    As you say, almost none who ridicule the idea of spending $3000 on an amp have played a $3000 amp or an actual Dumble build.
    I have a hobby builder clone of I forget which Dumble and I’d note that these are not as easy to build as a classic Fender or Marshall that many of us build on the kitchen table.

Some of what I see here and on other forums though really is disrespect directed at a man who has had top pros knocking on his door for decades and paying him to build them amps like no other.
    Seems crazy that in discussions we can give examples of classic album cuts with blistering Dumble amp tones and still he doesn’t get the respect a master deserves.

predrag, nojazzhere and Telekaster like this.
  15. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

I'll pass. I'm saving for John Lennon's sunglasses.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Robben Ford Dumble amp is #102.

17. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

There are more Dumble amps used by famous players as it is known. I know quite a good amount of famous players who use Dumble builts in Fender or Marshall cabinets/ combos.
    It is funny, many players (pros or hobby players) spend lots of money on guitars. Like Fender CS, Historic Collection Gibson, PRS you name it, but have a hard time spending similar money on an amp. I found the best purchase were my Dumble amps, never had a bad amp day ever since.

uriah1, telemnemonics and LuthRavin like this.
  18. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I don't see any disrespect here. Good natured teasing about an expensive piece of equipment always raises an eyebrow. I see more defensiveness from people who don't feel we should discuss the wizard behind the curtain for some reason. Both sides always need to come to these threads and say the same thing each week. It's all in fun, so let's get over it. See you next week.

LuthRavin and Snfoilhat like this.
  19. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

What-no crystal lattice and cheeseburger jokes?

Digital Larry likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

Yeah I absolutely am amazed by the excited spending on guitars that then get run into cheap amps that I've tried and found totally uninspiring. I've been using modest guitars into great amps since I guess the late '80s when I finally got vintage Marshalls that suited my tonal needs. Great amps is of course relative, and mine have been on the primitive side, but capable for great sound none the less.
    My favorite was a '67 Plexi 100. Really miss that amp.

Telekaster and uriah1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.