Rob Robinette's Micro Champ EF80 Power transformer EU equivalent question.

RicciAntoni_07

TDPRI Member
Yeah, your choice is to cut the end off and do it captive by tripping back the main black housing and exposing the inner wires. With the IEC you will have to solder to the pins on the back of the IEC housing and then make sure they connect to the appropriate places. You should be able to find a generic guide on IEC wiring easily, then just think of what you solder as the equivalent from the instructions you have. Something like this.
View attachment 977807
Yeah, your choice is to cut the end off and do it captive by tripping back the main black housing and exposing the inner wires. With the IEC you will have to solder to the pins on the back of the IEC housing and then make sure they connect to the appropriate places. You should be able to find a generic guide on IEC wiring easily, then just think of what you solder as the equivalent from the instructions you have. Something like this.
View attachment 977807
Cool! I am advancing! I stripped the power chord and understood my confusion and why it wasn't more of a instruction on what to do with that--it's pretty straightforward :) I have a question about the orientation of the OT--I have read that with the non toroidal PT that you should orientate the two transformers so to reduce the hum and general performance. I am drilling holes now in my chassis and seems like with the toroidal PT that I am using, the orientation of the OT wouldn't matter as much. Is that correct? Also I read there are times when you would keep those two transformers maybe on opposite sides of the chassis. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Toroid power transformer electromagnetic stray field is strongest straight out of center hole so when it is mounted flat it should make least interaction with OT.

Len058

Tele-Meister
At least 5 cm from the edge of the OT and you'll be fine. Position it close to the powertubes and B+ to prevent long wire runs. Twist the wires to prevent hum.

RicciAntoni_07

TDPRI Member
At least 5 cm from the edge of the OT and you'll be fine. Position it close to the powertubes and B+ to prevent long wire runs. Twist the wires to prevent hum.
Toroid power transformer electromagnetic stray field is strongest straight out of center hole so when it is mounted flat it should make least interaction with OT.
Thanks!! I set it up flat, and will put it away from the OT.