Roasted Torrified Maple Source

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by fenderbender4, Apr 30, 2014.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Looking for a reputable source of roasted / terrified / baked maple, whatever you want to call it.

I know of Hades (ebay) and Sharps lumber. Are there any others? Anyone have experience or reviews of the two aforementioned suppliers?

Thanks.

2. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

I bought from sharps 2 years ago.

here is the neck I made and I have 2 blanks left.

also here is the actual blank I used

I sent the wood to Tommy at USA Custom guitars.

It has an African blackwood fretboard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Mabley, that neck it hot!

4. fenderbender4

Nice. That's pretty much what I'm going for. Trying to find the lightest coloring possible. Want a slight tint.

How's the neck holding up? Any adjustments or other issues? Going for the baked due to the supposed improvements in stability.

5. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

Exotic Woods up here in Canada has some pretty nice roasted maple neck blanks...depends on where you're located I guess. -Ryan

Edit: They also seem to be a bit lighter in color than other roasted maple I've seen...

6. mabley123

I got the lightest I could get.

Mine is a clear satin nitro finish... No tint. The main reason I went this route was because the Roasting gives it an older look with no tint. I don't like fake tint.

no stability problems. I really cant say that it is any more stable than my regular strat necks.

It holds tune and plays in tune. and sounds very good.

Renel on ebay also can have some nice stuff but I found Sharps to have the best prices.

I got enough for 3 blanks for 110 dollars. I believe they have a 100 dollar minimum orded.

7. Rene

Rene TDPRI Member

Colors in the roasting world are affected by mainly 2 things. The biggest factor is the temperature at which the wood is roasted at, and the other is the wood itself. Every tree will react differently to roasting due to its sap content, grain tightness and even the mineral content from where the tree grew.
    Light roast is usually done at around 185 degrees Celsius. Anything less than 180C and you are not really roasting the wood enough to stabilizes it properly. Darker roast for musical instruments can be as high as 195C and still get decent workability with the wood. I'm building a Strat for my son and used both the light and dark roast on the neck and it turned out great(light for the neck and dark for the fingerboard). I'm also working on a Tele and will post the thread here once I get into it a bit more. The neck for that one will be quarter-sawn roasted flame maple roasted to 192C. The body will be q-sawn roasted red spruce for lightness and resonance but I will be painting that one.
    Anyway I hope that helps clarify the roasting colors and where they come from.
    Thanks,
    Rene Landry

8. fenderbender4

Cool, thanks for the info. Did you get the wood from sharps or exotic?

9. ratter

ratter Tele-Meister

I've bought several pieces from Rene and they were all outstanding quality.

10. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Ditto, that S-style neck is amazing.

11. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

Sharp's Lumber in NH is the best I have seen. I have bought a bunch of roasted maple from them. Flamed (what I sent Scatter Lee for his double neck challenge guitar from last year) and birdseye/flamed, like what I used in my 2012 Challenge guitar. Plus a bunch of other stuff. They have a good selection and are good guys to deal with.

12. mabley123

Sharps was what I would consider cheap too.

I payed $115 U. S. Dollars inc. shipping... for a board that was 105 x 7 x 1.5 and they cut it into 3 pieces.

I still have 2 blanks

But I think like the color of a 100 years old reclaimed flame board better that I have but I don't know if it will hold the color all the way through like the Torrified does.

The reclaimed board was pretty expensive but if anyone is interested Old Wood Workshop has 1-3 blanks I believe unless he sold them.

Here is a pic of the board I used for the above neck and a reclaimed board.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

ouch... 15$ a board foot is pretty pricey for maple, even reclaimed stuff. On the plus side though, thats a solid 8 tops for guitars...

14. Rene

Rene TDPRI Member

No, I did not get it from those guys. They do not offer custom roasting services.
    Rene

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  15. mabley123

I believe the reclaimed maple is much more than 15 dollars a board ft.

It is 100 dollars a Linear foot. which a neck blank is 27 inches so that is 2 Linear feet ( 24 inches ) +3 inches. so about 225 for a neck blank for the reclaimed.

for the torrified it was 113 dollars for 3 blanks.... Which is CHEAP for torrified. That was 15 dollars a board ft.

the reclaimed boards I got are.... 29.5 x 6 x 2....2.291 bd/ft... so about 100 dollars a bd/ft for reclaimed

Sharps used to supply Fender until Fender was slow to pay and Sharps is a small business that needs timely payment. so they went back to small individual sales.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.