1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Roasted Spruce Body Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by NeverStock, Sep 25, 2020.

1. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

Grabbed this body off ebay 4 lbs 2 oz one piece Sitka spruce.
    Decided to home roast it - 1 hour at 200 F, 1 hour at 300 F, and then 4 hours at 365 F. Convection oven, Wrapped the piece in aluminum foil. Second day, 2 more hours same way at 365 F.
    Notes:
    Pleasant smell, not too strong
    Very little sap/resin runout - no dripping, and easily cleaned up with alchohol
    Let it sit overnight before weighing, and no warping I can see.
    Roasting is my attempt to make the wood harder/less soft
    Weight fell 10.16% from 1.870 kilogram to 1.695 kilogram
    This is a drop from 4 lbs 2.0 ounces to 3 lbs 11.2 ounces - it lost 6.8 ounces.
    The drop the 2nd day 2 hours at 365 was just 15 grams, so the bulk of the weight was lost in the first treatment. Also, the second day, there was very little smell, so I think I've taken this as far as I can, as far as at home treatment.
    We will see where the weight settles once it matches with ambient humidity.
    Tap tone can't really tell a difference but no recording and just went from memory.
    I'm going to try to build it from here using hand tools as I have no real workshop.
    Ordered a Charlie Christian pickup from the UK. If it ever arrives, it will go in the neck.
    Still working through the rest of the specs.

Comparison 1870g to 1680g.JPG

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Interesting, will be waiting to see the progress on this.

crazydave911 and NeverStock like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Its too bad that you didn't do some tap tones or spectrum analysis on the body before and after. You can measurethe weight differences but the big argument for torrefication with spruce soundboards on acoustics is to somehow force the aging process that occurs naturally.

4. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

On my BrotherHood build I home-roasted the swamp ash billet and experienced a similar weight reduction.

That substantial weight decrease is at a higher percentage than what the commercial torrifiers experience with a true torrification process.

That's because with the home process we have no controllable way of introducing moisture towards the end of the process like the commercial guys do.

I didn't have any significant warping with the home process initially either, but I did pick up some slight warping over a period of a week or 10 days as the the baked billet gradually absorbed moisture from the atmosphere.

The warping wasn't too bad, but I did have to make adjustments for it :).

edit: That's a nice looking chunk of spruce. In the pics you can see how the roasting enhances and brings out the grain.

5. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

Waiting for the body to acclimate. Decided to start on a Ziricote neck. First try at building a neck, and just using hand tools in the kitchen...

Glorious tap tone, so I thought about sending it out for a pro build. But YOLO...
    Drill (tried various bits, nothing works great) plus saw, then rasp. It's still oversized to leave room for sanding and fitting.

Next up- truss rod channel, or a channel for a titanium bar. Still figuring out what to do. Have some time as I'll let it sit a few weeks or so and see if it moves.

I have an LMI African Blackwood board that I might use.

And the UK Charlie Christian C90 pickup arrived yesterday. Beautiful pickup.

IMG_0744.JPG IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG IMG_0749.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Rjelecaster and crazydave911 like this.
  6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I use cold rolled steel bars but you'll find the channel MUCH easier to route with the board still square ;)
    Always wanted to try titanium but couldn't afford it

Dave

NeverStock likes this.
  7. yepyep

yepyep TDPRI Member

Nice spruce. Ziricote! That is going to be dreamy.

Are you going to bind the body?

8. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wow, this sure looks great!!

9. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Looks interesting. I have only played one Sitka Spruce electric; I almost bought a Parker Fly in Sitka Spruce. I really liked the lightness of the guitar. I was down to that or a PRS, and I liked the PRS a little more. Not enough money for two guitars at the time...

I’ll be interested in how this comes out.

10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This is gonna be good.

11. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Man, I'm jealous. I'd LOVE to build a Tele out of roasted spruce. Everything looks beautiful so far!

NeverStock and crazydave911 like this.
  12. gabeNC

gabeNC TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Impressive. Sub'd.

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I have built with Norway Spruce and liked the result when paired with a Black Locust over quartersawn Walnut neck . In all fairness , my Spruce is bookmatched quartersawn and not 1 piece .
    Go for it .

14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Just for the sake of clarity .
    The OP never claimed torrefication . Torrefication and roasting are two very different things .
    Tapping a solid body of this thickness isn't going to reveal anything that the human ear can possibly detect . Highly sensitive testing instruments may be able to register some difference/s , but that rarely translates into human terms with any degree of reality . Some things are just over thought . This is only my opinion . Concerning the torrefication process of spruce soundboards , I have to ask when are finished acoustic guitars are subjected to very high temperatures in a vacuum that don't emerge as individual components used to build a guitar . I guess this will go down the same rabbit hole as lab created gemstones and other similar items . Man keeps trying to improve on nature .

15. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx Tele-Meister

Doesn't look like NeverStock is using a power router anyway. In my (very limited) experience it's not going to make that much of a difference if you are just chiseling the channel. As long as the piece is clamped down...

16. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

@NeverStock

you did pretty good on cooking that wonderful looking spruce body; my pot roasts lose more weight than that when they get roasted. :D

body looks like 1 piece; amIrite? (LOL, just saw where you already said it's one piece) :oops:

that thing should sound killer :cool:

17. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice! You got balls for doing the roasting a piece that is cut to shape, I would have worried about wrapping a lot. Hmmm where did you get that? Classictone woods on Fleebay? I have several of their blanks in my shop, very good stuff!

18. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

IMG_0909.jpg IMG_0910.JPG IMG_0911.JPG 86EAE772-42C6-4F4A-88F3-5A51F00107A0.jpeg Ok, the neck has rested for a long while and it didn't move. No truss rod on this one. African Blackwood board attached with fish glue. Will get a reverse headstock with Steinberger tuners. Body is still finding steady state with respect to moisture post-roasting. Has added 80 g back.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.