1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Roasted flame Maple neck, finish?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by goodchicken, Oct 8, 2018.

1. goodchicken

goodchicken TDPRI Member

I have a roasted maple neck and fretboard with what I'd say has a 3a flame. I was gonna go unfinished, but after wiping it down with naptha, the pop in the flame seems to nice to not finish.

Any recommendations for a finish that will give a slick feel and pop the flame? I'm guessing the finish needs to build a bit to get the pop. I also do not like glossy necks, so something that's like a satin feel would be nice. Many coats of Danish Oil? Or Tung Oil?

This is my 1st build, so I'll probably be full of questions to come ;) Thanks!

2. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

Nitro lacquer. Easy as it comes with a great pop. No matter the finish, the more gloss the more pop.

Eric

3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you want a gloss finish, use lacquer, if you want an oil finish use oil.

You can get kind of a glossy buildup with gloss tung oil.

A lot of guys seem to love true oil.

Nothing really looks 3d like flame maple under a bunch of coats of highly polished lacquer in my opinion, but if you don't like a glossy finish well, try some oils or shellac or wax or whatever.

I like oil finished necks too, they feel like wood, but I usually put a gloss lacquer on there cuz it just looks so bitchin'.

Life is such an aggravating compromise.

4. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I put Watco Danish oil on mine.

5. tresspassor

tresspassor Tele-Meister

I used tru-oil on one of my roasted maple necks. It really popped the flame and made it a breeze to keep clean. Applying tru-oil is about as simple as it gets. You really can't screw it up. Just polish it out to your liking.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

6. goodchicken

goodchicken TDPRI Member

I think I'll go oil this time around. Sounds like it won't "pop" as much, but the feel is most important.

I do have some Behlen Satin Lacquer aerosol laying around, so I think I'll try that for the next neck which will probably be a more flamed piece.

Thanks for the opinions guys!

eallen likes this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

That's one of the most gorgeous necks I've ever seen!!! SEXY!!!

8. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

The roasting process renders the maple extremely stable - so much so, in fact, that Warmoth will cover their roasted maple necks under warranty without a finish. Some folks find the feel of a naked neck very pleasurable to play. You can also achieve a lustrous finish by burnishing the raw neck by sanding progressively through grades of sandpaper up to 1500 or better. Quite a look, and quite a feel.

dbickford and El Tele Lobo like this.
  9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

The good thing about using tung oil or boiled linseed oil or any of the wiping varnish formulas (Danish Oil or Tru Oil) is that you can use it as a complete finish, or just as the first step. Put on a few light coats and see how you like it. When the oil is fully cured you can always coat it with something more durable like proper lacquer. In fact, I often use a coat of oil to pop the grain or figure before topcoating by spraying sanding sealer and lacquer.

There is a method of applying dye to un-sealed raw curly maple, then sanding back enough to remove the areas where the dye only penetrated slightly, leaving contrast with the areas where it did soak in. However this risks splotching (which turns out looking like it's been smudged with something) and if it's your first project I would leave that to another day particularly where you can use test boards of the same material.

NeverStock likes this.
  10. tkmclaughlin

tkmclaughlin TDPRI Member

I literally just created a thread where I wish I had seen this post first. I have a flame drop top and i'm looking to achieve a finish that looks to be very similar to what you achieved on your neck. was it literally just multiple coats of tru-oil? No dyes, tints or anything? Just the oil accomplished that dramatic figure pop and 3-d? Would you be willing to elaborate a little on the process you used? Like how many coats, how you applied it, whether you sanded or steel wooled in between coats. I really like the look of that neck!

EDIT - oh wait. You have roasted flame maple. My drop top isn't roasted.

11. goodchicken

goodchicken TDPRI Member

Ok so I may try some oil followed by a lacquer or poly.

After some more thought, and Tresspassor's pics lol, I think I want the fretboard to pop as much as possible. So a glossy finish seems the way to go there.

But I don't want the back of the neck sticky, so I think just oil will go on there.

Thanks again all!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.