Road worn

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AndreDanican, Feb 19, 2014.

1. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I went to try a variety of tele's today and came away most impressed by the Road Worn 50s model. To me, it had the most clear tele personality of the under $1,000 guitars. Anyone have experience with these? On one of them the pick guard was all bunched up and both of the two I played had frets that were hanging out a bit over the edges of the fingerboard and were a bit rough for my taste, this is easily fixed but it speaks to a potential problem of having made the guitar with unseasoned wood which is still drying out.

2. jtelecaster62

jtelecaster62 Tele-Meister

My local guitar shop has nearly every damn Telecaster in Fender's lineup... the Road Worn '50s (old version with heavy relic & white PG) is one of my favorites by far. Absolutely love the neck, and no worries about it getting that dreaded first ding in the finish. It's next on the list if my new Cab doesn't fit the bill.

3. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

I have one of the very first of the Road Worns and I think IMPO that it is one of the best Telecasters made regardless that it is a MIM...I use it live over my Americans. It just has that "Tele" sounds, the pickups are absolutely great...Another great thing is it's very light...My American Special is a boat but I love it as well...But is I was to choose between the two It would be the Road Worn every time...

4. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Haven't seen a RW 50's that didn't have a little sprout.. But like you said its not a big deal. I have 2 at the moment & would never sell, sunburst & blonde. The sunburst is from the early days and the previous owner gave it a fret dress a super setup. The blonde is from the transition period, newer body with original neck and parchment guard with the halo.

When these guitars could be had for under $500 I thought they were a great deal.. Now that they are selling at $800+ I think they are over priced. I can get American Vintage guitars for a few hundred more..

Great guitars but I wouldn't go much over $600 to get one.

5. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

I recently purchased a new 50's roadworn with a light relic finish(Blonde black guard).

I sent it back after a few days.

Totally un-inspiring guitar. The overall quality (materials, fit, finish, hardware etc.) is not befiting of a guitar that retails around £850 / $1418.31 in the U.K.

A good Baja is much more of a guitar than these newer models. I cant speak for the the pre 2013/14 models as I haven't tried one.

6. Llacrobat

Llacrobat TDPRI Member

I´ve had two early Road Worns (body date 2008 and 2009). Both of them were extremely well built and great to play. I even sold one of my CS Teles ´casuse it couldn´t compete with the Road Worn.
    Still got the 2009 body for a future Esquire-project :cool:

7. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

+1 on the price. I saw and played one of the newer ones at my local GC the other day (a 2013 or 2014 I'm not sure). The neck looks worn ,but it didn't have the sanded fretboard. The paint had what looked like checking /cracking all over it in/under the finish and on the neck it looked/felt polished and not shinny/caked. No sharp fret ends and it played pretty dang good. Even though it played nice the quality didn't feel like a $800 guitar. I wouldn't mind dropping $500-$600 on one though. My guitar tech was thinking of actually picking it up as I got him into Teles. The guitar was a blonde beauty :)

8. Twang Man

Twang Man Tele-Holic

how could you not love them...

[​IMG]

9. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Roadworns feel great and sound great. Some don't like the relic aspect and I get that... but if I was Tele shopping, they'd be way high up on my list. Similarly, I've played a couple of Joe Strummer models that felt great too.

10. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

Im seriously GASing for a road worn right now

anyone got any good pics?

11. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Roger, that ColoSpringsE!

Great feeling, playing and sounding guitars all the way around. My Baja has been shuffled to the back of the line with those two (RW50s & JS) in addition to the 50s RW Strat and MIM Classic 50s Esq and Classic 60s Tele, it just cannot compete imo...

12. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

+1 Joe Strummer model.. Best Rosewood neck around..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.